3 Larry Allen
4 Randy White
5 Roger Staubach
6 Bob Hayes
7 Demarcus Ware
8 Tony Dorsett
9 Erik Williams
10 Troy Aikman

i have to take my Cowboys list just as the Ring of Honor and the only reasons why i'm hesitant to add Deion Sanders and Charles Haley
as such is because they are not Grass Root Cowboys - they did not origin as Cowboys.

if i went further Rayfield Wright, Darren Woodson and Tony Romo would have been next ups.

:oldcouple:
No "Mr. Cowboy"?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Deion Sanders wasnt a popular player for some people in Dallas. But to not put him in this list is ridiculous.

Seems more like the list of the "10 most popular Cowboys" rather then greatest.
Deion only played 35% of his career in Dallas. He was great for the time he was in Dallas, but the reality was that Dallas was one of many career stops.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
All of that may be true but you can’t really argue that they picked a former NFL MVP, 6x all pro, SB MVP, 3x SB Champ, NFL All time rushing leader and rushing touchdown leader as the top player.

Emmitt also has the most rushing yards and rushing TD’s in playoff history as well. Emmitt is criminally underrated...he should be thought of the same way Jerry Rice is as a receiver. You could make a legitimate argument Emmitt is the most accomplished player in NFL history.
:hammer:

RS12

Reaction score
Not an act. Roger Staubach is the greatest player in the history of the Dallas Cowboys
Sadly way too many people that post here have no idea what he meant to the league or this franchise. A lot of Jerry's fortune can be traced to Roger. Would not be America's team without him.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
And just another name to throw out there...Erik Williams....he's still the standard in my book for right tackles. He was so dominant for about 3 years in his prime...before the accident. The clinic he put on Reggie White....legendary.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And just another name to throw out there...Erik Williams....he's still the standard in my book for right tackles. He was so dominant for about 3 years in his prime...before the accident. The clinic he put on Reggie White....legendary.
He would've been one of the greatest, but............

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
Sadly way too many people that post here have no idea what he meant to the league or this franchise. A lot of Jerry's fortune can be traced to Roger. Would not be America's team without him.
Oh a lot of it is generational. People root for the players that they watch growing up and that they experienced. That’s human nature. The only good thing about being 63 is that I did get to see the old time great cowboys And so I like to think that gives me a little more perspective than some of these Young uns. Emmett Smith was a great great player. He was the engine that drove those teams in the 90s. But younger fans may not realize that Roger Staubach was the heart, the soul, and the engine of America’s Team If we were down in the fourth quarter with four minutes left I honestly Always believed that the Cowboys would come back to win the game because he brought them back so many times through the sheer force of his willpower and his refusal to lose. And based on all the things I read his teammates felt the same. And a lot of those teams back then would not have been nearly as good without Roger the dodger at the helm. And I suspect a lot of those people at ESPN who did this rating are too young to know or appreciate what a truly special player he was.

khiladi

Reaction score
Kevin Smith would have made the list of he never got injured. He used to frustrate Jerry Rice.

quickccc

Reaction score
NFL greatest player...and so under-rated. We don't win 3 Superbowls without him.

as much as i really loved Emmitt i dunno if i'd go that far as NFL greatest player ever. . ... while he has his own greatness about himself,
and i do agree we don;t win 3 SBs without him, ..yet i've never seen an OL as dominant as he had at his luxury,.. i re-watched his YouTube games repeatedly and the way they consistently knocked opposing defenders off the ball,and gave Smith a great red sea of opening lanes was incredible.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
MY top 10 All time Cowboys list:

1 Emmitt Smith
2 Michael Irvin
3 Larry Allen
4 Randy White
5 Roger Staubach
6 Bob Hayes
7 Demarcus Ware
8 Tony Dorsett
9 Erik Williams
10 Troy Aikman

i have to take my Cowboys list just as the Ring of Honor and the only reasons why i'm hesitant to add Deion Sanders and Charles Haley
as such is because they are not Grass Root Cowboys - they did not origin as Cowboys.

if i went further Rayfield Wright, Darren Woodson and Tony Romo would have been next ups.

Are you sayin' Wright , Woodson and ROMO and the ten you listed are ahead of Bob Lilly? Man, youre smokin' the drapes!!

quickccc

Reaction score
Drew Pearson? Cliff Harris? Both on 70's all-decade team with multiple rings.

DWare? No way. I'll take Harvey Martin.

Re- edited:
As a pure edge rusher, i'll take Dware over any edge rusher that we have ever had here. Even Charles Haley.
i think Dware should be a 1st ballot. He was a 20 sack type OLB edge rusher, and probably the most lethal explosive 1st step off the snap of anyone in the NFL that i can recall.
Ware will be HOF, Harvey won't even be a Ring of Honoree (per jerry)

Are you sayin' Wright , Woodson and ROMO and the ten you listed are ahead of Bob Lilly? Man, youre smokin' the drapes!!

yeh, maybe it's an overlook on Lilly, but again i feel more comfortable with guys i've actually seen play. Can't cram everyone in top 10.
BTW, where's Your top 10 list .. ? :p

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
MY top 10 All time Cowboys list:

1 Emmitt Smith
2 Michael Irvin
3 Larry Allen
4 Randy White
5 Roger Staubach
6 Bob Hayes
7 Demarcus Ware
8 Tony Dorsett
9 Erik Williams
10 Troy Aikman

If this is a list of your favorite Cowboys, so be it. IF it’s a list of the best Cowboys, it’s completely invalid without Lily. Not even in question.

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I know the 1970s were a long time ago, but I'm not sure that I could put Ware ahead of Harvey Martin as a pass rusher.

Ware did finish with more sacks (in more seasons and more games), and played on lesser defenses.
Ware also played in a much more pass happy league than Harvey. I’d take Harvey over Ware.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I love Troy but D-Ware is a more accomplished individual player. Cowboys sack leader, 4x all pro, top 10 all time in sacks as well.

Ware was a better pass rusher than Aikman was a QB. Both are great though.
All I can do is laugh at this post. That’s all it deserves.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ware also played in a much more pass happy league than Harvey. I’d take Harvey over Ware.

although the more reason why to have the most explosive first step edge rushers of all time.

Ware was so quick off the snap and past OT blockers that he was frequently mistakenly called for off sides
by the naked eye of NFL officials, until the Cowboys themselves had to send it film tape for officials to visually see
Ware was Not off sides.
;)