ESPN suspends Steve Phillips after sex scandal surfaces

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/espn_suspends_steve_phillips_after_BqI2i7uj46oLDZSWhxsGvK
ESPN suspends Steve Phillips after sex scandal surfaces

ESPN analyst Steve Phillips was given "an extended leave of absence" by the 24-hour sports network today for having a fling with a 22-year-old production assistant, who, after being dumped, taunted his wife with "Fatal Attraction"-like phone calls and a letter that bragged about her sexcapades with Phillips while taking pot shots at their "loveless marriage."

"We were aware of this and took appropriate disciplinary action at the time," ESPN said in a statement. "We have granted Steve's request for an extended leave of absence to allow him to address it. We have no further comment."

ESPN Baseball analyst Steve Phillips, in acknowledging a relationship being reported today, said, "I am deeply sorry that I have put my family and colleagues through this. It is a personal matter that I will not comment on further.

"I have, however, asked for a leave of absence to address this with my family and to avoid any unnecessary distractions through the balance of the baseball playoffs."

The Post reported today that the former Met general manager, whose tenure with the team was rocked by admissions of infidelity, confessed to his wife and local cops that he had slept with ESPN assistant Brooke Hundley several times this past summer before dumping her.

In retaliation, the jilted young woman repeatedly phoned Phillips' wife, Marni, saying, "We both can't have him!" an explosive police report claims.

Hundley's desperate actions -- including accidentally smashing her car into a stone column while speeding away from the Phillips' home after leaving the letter -- terrified the family, according to the Wilton, Conn., police report.

"I have extreme concerns about the health and safety of my kids and myself," Steve Phillips said in a police statement, adding that the woman became "obsessive and delusional" after he dumped her.

But Phillips, 46, declined to pursue criminal charges against Hundley, a Bristol, Conn., woman who cops learned may have used an ESPN computer to contact Phillips' 16-year-old son on Facebook while posing as a high-school classmate.

Phillips -- who admitted having multiple affairs with women while working for the Mets -- is now being sued for divorce by his 40-year-old wife, the mother of his four sons. Two months ago, Phillips deeded the family's five-bedroom, multimillion-dollar Wilton home to her.

A source told The Post Phillips has been suspended for a week by ESPN -- which hired him in 2005 as a baseball analyst -- because of the scandal.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
He should have ended his marriage long ago. His wife has been put through the mill.

But as a 26 year Mets fan i'm just glad he's not with the team.

Rogah

Reaction score
This incident demonstrates what I hate most about ESPN. If this same event was happening to a non-ESPN personality (even if it was someone in the media) then they would be discussing it to death 24/7 all day, everyday.

But since it happened on ESPN, you can't find it even being mentioned online or on TV. Not one single word.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
display_image.jpg

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;3027113 said:

She looks halfway decent in that one. The rest of her photos at the NY Post are ghastly. Players would call her a "slumpbuster."

joseephuss

Reaction score
Big Dakota;3027091 said:
He should have ended his marriage long ago. His wife has been put through the mill.

But as a 26 year Mets fan i'm just glad he's not with the team.

His spirit is still there and that is why they are so bad.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
bbgun;3027124 said:
She looks halfway decent in that one. The rest of her photos at the NY Post are ghastly.

I have a theory on that.

Apparently, hard-core womanizers eventually gravitate to something different. I read Sam Cooke's biography and after awhile the guy got so bored with good looking women, that he would seek out the ones that were least attractive. They would be on stage and he would spot the roughest, or oddest, looking girl on the crowd and tell his buddies, "that one's mine," and they would all laugh.

I think Steve decided to take a walk on the wild side with this one and it came back to bite him (figuratively and probably even literally).

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
lol

He is one of the worst. His fake or pretend press conferences posing as the gm of the yankees, cubs, angels etc....were some of the funniest things I have ever seen.

ESPN is so sad. This guy epitomizes Espn.

Temo

Reaction score
I can't link it due to content and the fact that I've received infractions for similar links, but lets just say that ******** is going to town on ESPN today and it's DEFINITELY worth a read.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The guy has a problem. It was not like this gal was drop dead gorgeous and he just fot caught up in a situation he could not get out of. That gal is so ugly she points every time birds fly over.

I am Met fan too and am happy he is not with the team anymore. The dude just has a problem- problem like David Duchovney problem. They are married to beautiful women but still have to fool around. You have to wonder what his wife thinks now when she sees pictures of this gal.

Rogah

Reaction score
He'll be back somewhere sooner or later. What he did was no worse than Marv Albert.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
ninja;3028258 said:
I can only guess she was awesome in bed. Or he needs an eye exam.

:lmao2:
The hell she is
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/********/2009/10/post.jpgDay

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Why does it say 'suspends', when it's being reported he asked for and was granted a 'leave of absence'?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Big Dakota;3028273 said:
The hell she is
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/********/2009/10/post.jpgDay

She looks like a guy I went to high school with.
On a serious note, it's pretty disgraceful that this sort of **** has to blared on the front page of a paper. I wonder how pious the editor of that rag really is?