News: ESPN: With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

Proof

Reaction score
I don't know about that unless you are crediting the marijuana ban to Jerry. But someone would've taken a flyer on him. Josh Gordon keeps getting chance after chance.

right but he gets kicked out the league and then has chances taken when he returns. gregory has been employed through all of his tribulations

Proof

Reaction score
This is like when someone asks do you want fries or salad and you answer “yes”. It makes no sense without clarification.

gregory alone eats up any d-law savings

plasticman

Reaction score
Why can't this wait until the season is over?

I'm having fun, enjoying all the winning, contemplating just how good this team might be and where they will end up. It feels good.

Then I see this.......now I'm sad......thanks. :oops:

DanA

Reaction score
gregory alone eats up any d-law savings

From an APY perspective he does but not in terms of cap hit for 2021. Gregory could be about 5m cap hit in 2021 with most of the money in bonus’ and moved on to future years where the cap has increased. Remember 2021 and 2022 were reduced due to COVID.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I figure Gallup is a goner after this year.

D-Law needs to restructure

LVE probably won't get signed to a big, long term deal (if at all)

I don't know if we keep Wilson, Kazee AND Kearse ...I'd say keep Kearse out of those 3.

Diggs and Lamb will both demand heavy price tags soon enough.
Diggs and Lamb are both signed through 2023. But down the line will both get paid top dollar, it's just a matter of if the Cowboys are willing to pay it or they walk to get it from someone else. Donovan Wilson isn't a free agent until 2023. On offense, Gallup needs to be traded now or re-signed later. Don't let his contract just expire and get nothing for him. We should be able to re-sign Ced Wilson on a cheaper contract. The FO should be looking for a veteran center to work a trade for. I'm not liking the depth there at all.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Eh. This is nothing to worry about. The cap is a joke anyways there are a million work arounds.

BigD_95

Reaction score
With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

i

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys (5-1) have a comfortable lead in the NFC East, look like a contender in the conference and a possibility to make the franchise’s first Super Bowl since 1995.

A word to the wise: Enjoy this run because it could be difficult to replicate beyond 2021.

There is already talk about offensive coordinator Kellen Moore becoming a head coach in 2022, especially when former quarterback Tony Romo is calling Cowboys’ games for CBS. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn could get back into the head coaching mix considering how he has retooled the Dallas defense. And there are a number of assistants who could theoretically move to bigger spots, like secondary coach/passing game coordinator Joe Whitt.

But the biggest issue the Cowboys will face is related to the salary cap.

Next year’s cap is set to be $208 million. At present, the Cowboys can carry over roughly $3.5 million of 2021 cap space to their 2022 cap, bumping their figure to $211.5 million.

Read Full Story

Article mentions cutting Dlaw & Coop on how much we save. What if we just cut Dlaw how much can we save? That guy needs to go. Worst contract on the team and I don't even think there should be much thought about it

BigD_95

Reaction score
Diggs and Lamb are both signed through 2023. But down the line will both get paid top dollar, it's just a matter of if the Cowboys are willing to pay it or they walk to get it from someone else. Donovan Wilson isn't a free agent until 2023. On offense, Gallup needs to be traded now or re-signed later. Don't let his contract just expire and get nothing for him. We should be able to re-sign Ced Wilson on a cheaper contract. The FO should be looking for a veteran center to work a trade for. I'm not liking the depth there at all.

we would probably get just as good of a comp pick keeping gallup and he signs elsewhere - I would keep him. PLus it gives up options like resign Gallup & let Coop walk

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
we would probably get just as good of a comp pick keeping gallup and he signs elsewhere - I would keep him. PLus it gives up options like resign Gallup & let Coop walk
Cooper is signed through the 2024 season, he's not walking. CeeDee is signed through the 2023 season, he's not walking. CeeDee will be looking for a new contract in 2024. Those two are not going anywhere. We can not afford to keep Gallup. That's just something we all need to come to accept. We already have too much invested in that position. It's the same reason we can't have a decent QB2.

ultron

Reaction score
I posted this 2 weeks ago, titled “The Cowboys have at least a 4 year window”… you be the judge, but I think ESPN is full of crap:

I’m looking at the list of players under contract currently and when they become free agents (on spotrac):

Keanu Neal SS DAL UFA -
Leighton Vander Esch LB DAL UFA -
Cedrick Wilson WR DAL UFA -
Brent Urban DE DAL UFA -
Ty Nsekhe RT DAL UFA -
Carlos Watkins DE DAL UFA -
Connor Williams G DAL UFA Market Value
Maurice Canady CB DAL UFA -
Damontae Kazee S DAL UFA -
Jayron Kearse S DAL UFA -
Noah Brown WR DAL UFA -
Bryan Anger P DAL UFA -
Jake McQuaide LS DAL UFA -
Randy Gregory OLB DAL UFA -
Corey Clement RB DAL UFA -
Cooper Rush QB DAL UFA -
Malik Hooker S DAL UFA -
Michael Gallup WR DAL UFA -
Malik Turner WR DAL UFA -
Dorance Armstrong DE DAL UFA -
Dalton Schultz TE DAL UFA

If Jayron Kearse continues to play like he has been, I pray we can retain his services. Randy Gregory in my mind is also someone I’d keep, along with LVE of the deal is right but I think Gallup and Schultz might be difficult to keep. Call me crazy but Dalton Schultz has been the most reliable Cowboy in the last 20 games but if it came down to keeping him or Gallup.. who’s more productive?

Blake Jarwin TE DAL UFA -
Anthony Brown CB DAL UFA -
Tarell Basham OLB DAL UFA -
Greg Zuerlein K DAL UFA -
C.J. Goodwin CB DAL UFA -
Trysten Hill DT DAL UFA -
Will Grier QB DAL UFA -
Connor McGovern C DAL UFA -
Tony Pollard RB DAL UFA -
Sean McKeon TE DAL RFA -
Terence Steele T DAL RFA -
Rico Dowdle RB DAL RFA -
Azur Kamara LB DAL RFA -
Donovan Wilson S DAL UFA

I see no issues at all with this list, but I hope we keep Pollard because he’s a starter in this league on over 1/2 the teams. Terence ‘the real deal’ Steele would be nice to keep around if he keeps bullying everyone in front of him like he has been the last few games. I saw a video of him pushing a dude 10+ yards down the field and flat out demoralizing him.

DeMarcus Lawrence DE DAL UFA
Tyron Smith LT DAL UFA
Jourdan Lewis CB DAL UFA
CeeDee Lamb WR DAL CO
Trevon Diggs CB DAL UFA
Neville Gallimore DT DAL UFA
Reggie Robinson CB DAL UFA
Tyler Biadasz C DAL UFA
Bradlee Anae DE DAL UFA
T.J. Vasher WR DAL RFA

At first glance this list looks scary, but we will likely cut Zeke after 2024 and we’ll be able to sign 1 of these guys, and we can franchise tag another (if they don’t come to terms). Tyron will likely be retired or washed (sad to say that), DLaw will likely be done in Big D as well - so Lamb and Diggs shouldn’t be a problem to retain. No one else on this list really concerns me that much.

Edit: Lamb is a team option in 2024 so he’s a RFA!!

Close your eyes and hold your breath for this next list…

Dak Prescott QB DAL UFA
Amari Cooper WR DAL UFA
Zack Martin G DAL UFA
La'el Collins RT DAL UFA
Micah Parsons OLB DAL CO
CeeDee Lamb WR DAL UFA
Kelvin Joseph CB DAL UFA
Osa Odighizuwa DT DAL UFA
Chauncey Golston DE DAL UFA
Nahshon Wright CB DAL UFA
Jabril Cox LB DAL UFA
Josh Ball T DAL UFA
Simi Fehoko WR DAL UFA
Quinton Bohanna DT DAL UFA
Israel Mukuamu CB DAL UFA
Matt Farniok G DAL UFA
Mike McCarthy COA DAL UFA

This list is terrifying, so hopefully we win a ring or 2 before this F5 tornado touches down.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Cooper is signed through the 2024 season, he's not walking. CeeDee is signed through the 2023 season, he's not walking. CeeDee will be looking for a new contract in 2024. Those two are not going anywhere. We can not afford to keep Gallup. That's just something we all need to come to accept. We already have too much invested in that position. It's the same reason we can't have a decent QB2.

Cowboys have an out on Cooper contract after this season. I personally rather keep Cooper. I was just making the point they could let Cooper walk and resign Gallup for a lot less and save a lot of cap space.

Obviously CeeDee isnt going anywhere..

But what makes the team better Coop & CeeDee or CeeDee & Gallup & an extra 8 million in cap space?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys have an out on Cooper contract after this season. I personally rather keep Cooper. I was just making the point they could let Cooper walk and resign Gallup for a lot less and save a lot of cap space.

Obviously CeeDee isnt going anywhere..

But what makes the team better Coop & CeeDee or CeeDee & Gallup & an extra 8 million in cap space?
Coop & Lamp are obviously the better combination and they don't play that money game like many of the fans do. Gallup will have to be sacrificed to keep Coop & CeeDee as our WR1A and WR1B.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have been saying this all season. The Cowboys roster in 2022 will be worse than what they have now. Period. End of story. When you are talking about letting players like DLaw, Cooper and Gallup go you are talking about reducing the quality of the team. These are all decisions that need to be made but what we do know is they cannot afford Gregory and DLaw. They cannot afford Gallup and Cooper. There will be no quality FA replacements either. We will see a bunch of current Cowboys depart and their replacements will be low cost JAGs on 1 year deals.

They will probably keep Cooper and Lamb, and restructure Cooper's deal. But what if Gallup lights it up the last 11 games of the season? I think they have to keep Gregory over DLaw. DLaw is a good player but grossly overpaid and he is not as disruptive as Gregory. No doubt the Cowboys are counting on Golston to make a big leap in production in 2022.

If the Cowboys are going to challenge for the division in 2022, they will need to hit on the draft again. I am guessing they will draft WR, DE, OL and RB and hope the draft is as good as their 2021 draft has been so far.