News: ESPN: With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
RG94, Hooker, Kearse, Schultz - must keeps

Would be nice to keep / franchise tag Michael Gallup.

Everyone else - LVE, Connor Williams, Kazee, Neal, etc are all expendable... we either bring them back cheap or they walk.

Cedrick Wilson will be cheap and a sneaky good re-signing, regardless of whether or not we keep/tag Gallup.
I would add Jarwin to the list as he is a back up TE at best. not very good at it and can be replaced with a minimum vet or a rookie

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
well, obviously this is click bait for cowboys fans...but

there are quite a few candidates for their contract to get redone to open up cap space.

there are few players that probably won't be here in 2022,
  • DLaw (post june 1 releasing him would open 19M in cap space)
  • Jarwin (post june 1 opens up around 5M)
  • Anthony Brown (post june 1 opens up another 5M)
  • Jourdan Lewis (could save around 3M)
so that's about 25-30M on 4 players alone.

then restructuring a few can open up quite a bit of cap space, like Dak, Cooper, Smith, Zeke, Zak, Collins.
Plus the cap maybe much higher than 208M, getting back to normal and some new TV contract deal that will add to NFL dollars.

I think we are fine.

I agree with DLaw and jarwin for sure. I think we keep brown and maybe even Lewis atleast untill camp.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Quick jaunt down to otc.com and after selecting restructure from the pull down I see restructures get us the following:

Dak $15m
DLaw $12m
Martin $7m
Tyron $8m
Zeke $9m
Collins $6m

Now obviously you don't want to do all of those and some of them not at all but we are fine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
too much dead cap to cut DLAw.

Coop and Collins are likely targets to get cut.
unless he is post June 1st cut, which splits his 19M dead cap between two years. so it saves around 19M on the cap over all since he has a 27M cap hit if he is on the roster

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Further, the way the contracts are setup there are not a lot of cap lucrative cuts next year. 2023 on the other hand can see most everyone cut.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The NFL Cap does not apply to the Cowboys.........:muttley:....just ask Rockport and friends.
hey, just wondering if you recieved the bucket of butt paste I mailed you.....UPS says it was delivered.

enjoy...you should be a little less in pain this weekend

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Moving on from lawrence isn’t cheap
I have looked at Collins
keeping lawrence is expensive too...27M cap hit.....now, I know he can get restructured, but its money that is going to come back and be accounted for at some point.

cutting him after june 1st, will be about 9.5M cap hit, savings of about 18M

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
keeping lawrence is expensive too...27M cap hit.....now, I know he can get restructured, but its money that is going to come back and be accounted for at some point.

I think it's really going to depend on how he looks upon his return. Manage to tear it up on the other side of Gregory, you probably kick his costs down the road + add a year to his deal and use some of the savings to re-sign gregory. If eh comes back and is just ok he has to be a June 1 cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not happy with returns. the past is the past. you have to look from now on and forward. what's it going to cost. what will I get in return (not having gotten anything in return for the from previous years is almost irrelevant outside of predicting what he can do in the future)....

with that said, I put Lawrence as a post june 1 cut candidate. he will cost 27M. his dead cap is 19M. so split that into two years and you save around 19M.

We're in agreement on this.

the rest can't be june 1 cuts (as one poster corrected me), but they represent significant total savings and not sure what they will produce for the money and if they can easily be replaced (joseph for brown, etc.).

"Easily replaced" is wishful thinking. Brown is playing well while we can only hope for the same from Joseph. And that's just one example of many.

not sure what you mean by denial. I think you are just arguing for the sake of arguing, being a troll per se as your last two posts haven't provided any substantial information outside of quoting some sayings....so with that said, Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth ;)

By denial, I mean just that. Being in denial of the very real cap issues and pending free agents for next year. If that's "trolling" for you. maybe it's you that has the issue facing the truth.

conner01

Reaction score

But that’s 9.5 plus the cost of replacement and still have more money the following year
In total it’s around 19

conner01

Reaction score
The ESPN article seems to be poorly researched (shocking!). How on earth did they calculate him having a $10M base salary for 2021?

I suspect that Collins' 2022 guarantees went bust when he was suspended. It's still a contractual obligation if they keep him, but they can wait to cut him much later without that chunk being an anchor.
His 2022 salary is 10 mil
But I don’t know if there is language to prevent the guarantee in his contract
It’s set to guarantee 5 day of new year

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t expect any huge concessions, just something to show gratitude and appreciation. If not for Jerry Jones, Randy Gregory wouldn’t be in the league right now. That should count for something.
I don't know about that unless you are crediting the marijuana ban to Jerry. But someone would've taken a flyer on him. Josh Gordon keeps getting chance after chance.

conner01

Reaction score
Quick jaunt down to otc.com and after selecting restructure from the pull down I see restructures get us the following:

Dak $15m
DLaw $12m
Martin $7m
Tyron $8m
Zeke $9m
Collins $6m

Now obviously you don't want to do all of those and some of them not at all but we are fine.
Didn’t we already do Martin

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about that unless you are crediting the marijuana ban to Jerry. But someone would've taken a flyer on him.

Yeah they would have. And cut him as soon as he got that next suspension (which he did).

Josh Gordon keeps getting chance after chance.

Josh Gordon is also playing for peanuts. And likely on his last chance and will never see significant money.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

i

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys (5-1) have a comfortable lead in the NFC East, look like a contender in the conference and a possibility to make the franchise’s first Super Bowl since 1995.

A word to the wise: Enjoy this run because it could be difficult to replicate beyond 2021.

There is already talk about offensive coordinator Kellen Moore becoming a head coach in 2022, especially when former quarterback Tony Romo is calling Cowboys’ games for CBS. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn could get back into the head coaching mix considering how he has retooled the Dallas defense. And there are a number of assistants who could theoretically move to bigger spots, like secondary coach/passing game coordinator Joe Whitt.

But the biggest issue the Cowboys will face is related to the salary cap.

Next year’s cap is set to be $208 million. At present, the Cowboys can carry over roughly $3.5 million of 2021 cap space to their 2022 cap, bumping their figure to $211.5 million.

Read Full Story
Yikes!