ESPN | Young looking to cutdown on workload; means more of Ditka

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:53:37 -0700

Barry Jackson, of the Miami Herald, reports ESPN's Steve Young, who lives in California, wants to cut down on his travel schedule and is speaking to the network about no longer appearing every week in ESPN's Bristol, Conn., studios. That would result in an expanded role for NFL analyst Mike Ditka. Young does plan to appear on ESPN's Monday Night Football pregame show.

lspain1

Reaction score
Mike Ditka,

you have to like a guy who said...

“If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms”

:thumbup:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Ditka is a good analyst and he is certainly much more entertaining than Young (I always get distracted by Young's ears and never pay any attention to what he is saying anyway). Ditka doesn't come across as astute or insightful until you listen carefully to him and understand his down to earth perspective. Much like Madden comes across as goofy and unintelligent until you listen to him and get past the personality quirks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Ditka is a good analyst and he is certainly much more entertaining than Young (I always get distracted by Young's ears and never pay any attention to what he is saying anyway). Ditka doesn't come across as astute or insightful until you listen carefully to him and understand his down to earth perspective. Much like Madden comes across as goofy and unintelligent until you listen to him and get past the personality quirks.
I always like the no nonsense approach the old school guys bring, like Deacon Jones on the old FoxSports Pregame show (that was so good and they never should have screwed with it). That's why I like Mike Ditka. I know Young and he's a good guy, but he bores me to tears at times. He's the epitome of politically correct NFL announcers. No controversy.

MC KAos

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Mike Ditka,

you have to like a guy who said...

“If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms”

:thumbup:

come on now, soccer is a great sport, besides he did that movie with will ferrell where he coached a soccer team!!

JonCJG

Reaction score
I remember Ditka laughing at Steve Young or maybe Michael Irvin when they picked the Seattle Seahawks to win the West last year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
KD said:
I remember Ditka laughing at Steve Young or maybe Michael Irvin when they picked the Seattle Seahawks to win the West last year.
It wasn't Irvin. At the end of last year he was eating crow for not believing in them.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:

:laugh1: Yes those ears get me as well.

I keep thinking of the little kid in the movie Big, the one that got to grow up.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Well if I lived in sunny California, I'd hate to travel to Bristol, CT all the time too! I grew up in a neighboring CT town, and it's not quite sunny Cali.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I always like the no nonsense approach the old school guys bring, like Deacon Jones on the old FoxSports Pregame show (that was so good and they never should have screwed with it). That's why I like Mike Ditka. I know Young and he's a good guy, but he bores me to tears at times. He's the epitome of politically correct NFL announcers. No controversy.
He's also the epitome of no personality :D

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
Hostile said:

That was a good show. The one with Chris Myers, Deacon Jones, Billy Ray Smith and Bob Golic right? I used to enjoy that as well, good stuff.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You have to remember that Young is Licensed to Commit Lawyering as well. He thinks like a lawyer and won’t say anything that will get him in trouble. Makes him boring for sure.