News: ESPND: Tyron Smith 'one of best tackles in league'

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith blocks a heck of a lot better than he talks.

Want to know how well he's playing? He's not the guy to ask.

[
Tim Sharp/AP PhotoDallas Cowboys LT Tyron Smith (77) is having a solid season protecting Tony Romo's blind side.

"It's all about cleaning up things from the week before and moving on from it," Smith said, one of his longer answers during a brief media session following his dominant performance in a 31-24 Thanksgiving win against the Oakland Raiders.

You could watch the film of Smith's last two games. You could see him silence New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, whose mouth wrote checks his body couldn't cash against Smith, who held the former Pro Bowler to a grand total of one tackle, no sacks and no pressures in Dallas' key NFC East win last week. You could check out Smith helping clear the way for the Cowboys' running backs to run through the Oakland defense for 145 yards and three touchdowns, one of which featured the 22-year-old tackle blocking two Raiders. Lamarr Houston, Oakland's outstanding right defensive end, recorded only two tackles and no other statistics against Smith.

For the rest---> http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...tyron-smith-one-of-best-tackles-in-the-league

Last edited by a moderator:

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Our OL is much improved for sure. It's a shame this wasn't properly addressed in previous years. Now if Murray could just remain healthy and Dunbar can continue to protect the ball.

yentl911

Reaction score
Tyron was a great pick and his play at LT has continued to improve. Plus, he is still very, very young. The sky is the limit for this kid if he keeps working hard and can stay healthy.

He dominated JPP last week - I do not even remember hearing his name.

Another in a long list of stud OL out of USC.

bosley88

Reaction score
One of the best picks ive seen since watiching the cowboys....One of the best fore sure no doubt
Can we get one more OL from USC to replace Free....talk about a weak link

strasscat

Reaction score
So far, he has shut down, JPP twice, Randy Quinn, Tamba Hali, Lamar Houston, Jared allen, Trent cole, and Brian Orapko.
If his run blocking gets better, it's already pretty good, he'll be the best Lt in the game .

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'm glad this team has FINALLY started to invest in the offensive line with high draft picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to see the other guy in that photo (Parnell) challenge Doug Free in training camp next year.

Free had a few good games this season, but has been regressing the past few games. Free has never been a good run blocker and is erratic in pass protection.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
To have one of the most important positions on the team shored up with an excellent young player who will only get better, is absolutely huge. Very glad we have this man.

Titleist

Reaction score
Tyron has been excellent this year and has solidified his position at LT (just think, less than 6 months ago there were people calling for him to move back to RT on accounts of him not "being athletic enough for the position"). I also like the way this OLine is progressing as a whole, but I definitely think we should invest in another stud lineman in the 2nd round of next years draft (after DLine in the 1st). I'd say Guard is more important than Tackle at this time, plus we will probably have better options in the 2nd round at G.

foofighters

Reaction score
If we could just add another solid piece to compliment our LT and Center positions, we could actually be pretty solid. It's a great start.

Reaction score
I would like to see the other guy in that photo (Parnell) challenge Doug Free in training camp next year.

Free had a few good games this season, but has been regressing the past few games. Free has never been a good run blocker and is erratic in pass protection.
Free is a good player when he has good guard play beside him. He's played well when he had Waters and Kosier at RG next to him. When he has scrubs at guard, like he does now with Bernadeau, he struggles.

Jerry needs to solidify the guard positions this coming offseason. After d-line, it should be his biggest priority.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
He and the Beard are great foundations for the line. Great picks.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
He is legit. Despite being beat a couple of times I thought Free, Leary and Bernie all played great as a whole (obviously Fredrick as well) and made key blocks at key moments. Hope this pattern stands up for the remainer of the season.

Fredd

Reaction score
Oher has not had a great season and he is FA after this year...they were saying during the game that he could go without a contract from Baltimore....any interest in him @ RT next season if they can afford it?

Reaction score
Oher has not had a great season and he is FA after this year...they were saying during the game that he could go without a contract from Baltimore....any interest in him @ RT next season if they can afford it?

That's the key phrase. They won't be able to afford him. After their draft picks, all they will be able to afford are a couple of cheap, run of the mill free agents to fill holes. Much like Juston Durant last year.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not seeing very many people wishing we had taken JJ Watt anymore.

Smith is one of the best there is right now and he still has a ton of room to get better. He's an exceptionally valuable player at one of the most important positions on the team.

Homerun.

TTexasTT

Reaction score

I thought I remember something about him having some issues early in the season and having several bad games. Dont know how much hed really be worth.

khiladi

Reaction score
The NFC East has two of the best tackles in the game. Too bad the other one is on the Commanders...