News: ESPND: Tyron Smith 'one of best tackles in league'

Fredd

Reaction score
That's the key phrase. They won't be able to afford him. After their draft picks, all they will be able to afford are a couple of cheap, run of the mill free agents to fill holes. Much like Juston Durant last year.

I tend to agree, and with Free still in the fold, I would much prefer to bring Waters back in for one more season to mentor the youngens....but, my goodness, if Oher can get back to how he has been in the past, then draft a G, we might just have the makings of something special on the OL....I am not going to worry about that right now...I am focused on the eagles losing this week

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our OL is much improved for sure. It's a shame this wasn't properly addressed in previous years. Now if Murray could just remain healthy and Dunbar can continue to protect the ball.

Notice, the improvement happened effectively without changing the OGs. We've been working steadily on retooling the OL for three seasons now, though. It's just that it takes time to bring the right players in, develop them, and get them playing well together.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Notice, the improvement happened effectively without changing the OGs. We've been working steadily on retooling the OL for three seasons now, though. It's just that it takes time to bring the right players in, develop them, and get them playing well together.

I was clamoring to address the problem long before the last three seasons by picking up talent in the first rounds to minimize the learning curve and to ensure success in the trenches. Trying to develop questionable talent in the later rounds didn't bode well for us for years. Bringing in other teams cast-offs was like slapping a band-aid on a hemorrhaging artery.

ghst187

Reaction score
The best part is he is only 22 years old. OL can play well into their 30s

true, unfortunately it may be tough to keep him considering the $ he's going to command once his contract is up combined with the money we don't have salary-cap-wise. Love to see this guy play his career out with us.

How much would be benefit from adding a bruising power back? answer, a ton

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
true, unfortunately it may be tough to keep him considering the $ he's going to command once his contract is up combined with the money we don't have salary-cap-wise. Love to see this guy play his career out with us.

I'd say there's no chance we let him walk. We're obviously not going to hit on a top 10 LT pick and then resign him.

Re: a power back, I agree. Either Tanner or Randle's spot on the roster would be better served with a big guy in there, assuming we can get some ST performance out of the combination of him and Dunbar.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not seeing very many people wishing we had taken JJ Watt anymore.

Smith is one of the best there is right now and he still has a ton of room to get better. He's an exceptionally valuable player at one of the most important positions on the team.

Homerun.

If I had a choice, I would still take Watt, but that isn't a knock on Smith. They're two of the best

theSHOW

Reaction score
If I had a choice, I would still take Watt, but that isn't a knock on Smith. They're two of the best

You just couldn't help yourself. You had to go say that. Smith has a ceiling that is way higher, keep watching

dbonham

Reaction score
I could never fault someone for wishing we had drafted Watt. Unless he has a career ending injury he will go to the hall. However, smith was absolutely the right choice, especially at the time. You don't take a 3-4 de over a franchise LT, and remember that no one thought that Watts ceiling would be half of what it has become. I am absolutely certain that the team is in better shape with smith over watt, but if I could steal one player from any team for the cowboys it would be watt

DuceizBak

Reaction score
This cowboys squad has grown in front of me *tear*.

Remember when every other play the ball would be high snapped over romo's head?
Remember when every other play there was a holding call or false start[looking @ you Free]
Remember when our o-line collapsed like an exhausted marathon runner?

I remember

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't even know what player you guys are talking about because I'm used to hearing something along the lines that the Romo just got blasted from again from a missed block!

When you don't hear bad things about a player and Romo is still standing you know you have a great player. A 22 year old kid.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score

Another reason why we should unload the huge contracts of some of the older players. We take the hit this year, but it opens a ton of room under the cap to resign guys like Smith.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
So far, he has shut down, JPP twice, Randy Quinn, Tamba Hali, Lamar Houston, Jared allen, Trent cole, and Brian Orapko.
If his run blocking gets better, it's already pretty good, he'll be the best Lt in the game .

Quinn is the one that really impresses me. He has been on a rampage. He must've been really frustrated!

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score

Smith isn't going anywhere.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smith isn't going anywhere.

There is no way in hell that the Cowboys will not keep Smith. The kid is a cornerstone for the Cowboys for years to come. Hell, if I was Romo and the Cowboys said they need to dump, I would pay his salary! lol

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the best in the league and will remain so for a very long time, barring injury.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And this is why I still didn't regret taking Tyron while Watt was blowing up the league his rookie year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another reason why we should unload the huge contracts of some of the older players. We take the hit this year, but it opens a ton of room under the cap to resign guys like Smith.

Ware, Witten and Austin are the only remaining big contracts for older players other than Romo. Kyle Orton also has 1 year remaining at 3.25M. Hatcher is a Free Agent.

Austin seems like a definite cut due to his inability to stay on the field.

Witten is still productive, has a reasonable 5M base salary for 2014 and plays almost 100% of the offensive snaps.

Ware is the big question mark, IMO. His base salary is 12.25M for 2014. He appears to be on the decline physically.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Ware, Witten and Austin are the only remaining big contracts for older players other than Romo. Kyle Orton also has 1 year remaining at 3.25M. Hatcher is a Free Agent.

Austin seems like a definite cut due to his inability to stay on the field.

Witten is still productive, has a reasonable 5M base salary for 2014 and plays almost 100% of the offensive snaps.

Ware is the big question mark, IMO. His base salary is 12.25M for 2014. He appears to be on the decline physically.

Yeah, Ware s a tough one because, for that defense, you need pass rushers, but he's just worth that kinda money, and restructuring just guarantees more money and makes it tougher to release in the future. As for Witten, 5M is reasonable, but are they better keeping him, or letting him go and using that money somewhere else?

Manster54

Reaction score
I think they should let ware go. He might have a couple good years left but not for that price tag.