ESPN's Bill Barnwell: Cowboys have worst group of WRs in the league

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's not split hairs on this thing, ok? They'll either do well enough to deserve kudos or they won't. It won't prevent me from pulling for them nor should that be so with any of us. All I'm saying here is let's give them time to show what they can do. I think they all deserve the advantage of encouragement. I'm not knocking you or anyone else here. No need to turn this into a pissing contest. Case closed with no hard feelings. We're all pulling for the same team.
I suspect it will fall somewhere in between. Probably not as bad as some are predicting and not as good as others are hoping.

We have no choice but to give them a chance to prove themselves.

Some fans often confuse a more concerned, critical or less optimistic approach as not wanting to win as bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
I love our WR's. Because I look at their skillset and see great route running(Gallup) and great pure speed(SirCed and Hurns and Thompson) and I'm glad because we fiiiiiinally paid attention to what matters at the WR position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You asked what's different and here's the answer: Dez and Witten are both gone and a new crop of receivers will be on tap to prove themselves.

I'm hoping with all that's within me that they do. Those other teams can fend for themselves just as they have in the past. Here's hoping we'll win.
Hope is not a plan. I believe in proven success .

Again, questioning or criticizing the plan doesn’t equate into less desire for it to succeed.

Your certainly entitled to have more hope but that doesnt elevate your view or analysis above those others with less hope needing more evidence.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hope is not a plan. I believe in proven success .

Again, questioning or criticizing the plan doesn’t equate into less desire for it to succeed.

Your certainly entitled to have more hope but that doesnt elevate your view or analysis above those others with less hope needing more evidence.
The evidence is in the skillsets!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love our WR's. Because I look at their skillset and see great route running(Gallup) and great pure speed(SirCed and Hurns and Thompson) and I'm glad because we fiiiiiinally paid attention to what matters at the WR position.
Awesome. I always respect your insight. I know you’ve seen something in their ability that provides your thought . Not just hope.

kskboys

Reaction score
Awesome. I always respect your insight. I know you’ve seen something in their ability that provides your thought . Not just hope.
Well, the way I see it, we finally started paying attention to what makes a WR successful, as opposed to drafting on hype and hope. Gallup and Wilson are not the type we normally draft. So, I'm seeing much hope here. And if they don't work out(They are propsects after all), then I see some hope in that we're now drafting better when it comes to WR's.

I'll go out on a limb. I think Gallup catches 60 passes+ this season. For those of you who don't know, 60 passes is a ton for a rook. Kupp caught 62 last season and led all rooks.

So, w/ these 2 I see not only talent to produce pretty quick, I see a change in philosophy that absolutely warms my heart!!!!!!(You know, the one the wifey claims I don't have!!!!)

Batman1980

Reaction score

Football IQ and route running matter too and are probably the main reasons Dez is unemployed right now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, the way I see it, we finally started paying attention to what makes a WR successful, as opposed to drafting on hype and hope. Gallup and Wilson are not the type we normally draft. So, I'm seeing much hope here. And if they don't work out(They are propsects after all), then I see some hope in that we're now drafting better when it comes to WR's.

I'll go out on a limb. I think Gallup catches 60 passes+ this season. For those of you who don't know, 60 passes is a ton for a rook. Kupp caught 62 last season and led all rooks.

So, w/ these 2 I see not only talent to produce pretty quick, I see a change in philosophy that absolutely warms my heart!!!!!!(You know, the one the wifey claims I don't have!!!!)
I’m not familiar with Gallup. Didn’t see a single game Colorado St played. Nor do I recall seeing Hurn or Austin play so I have nothing to go on except Austin was basically a flop 1st rounder and Hurn stats look more like a Jag.

But I’m not familiar at all with their skill sets only that Austin has speed.

I’m definitely more encouraged with your insight.

Jipper

Reaction score

Absolutely....i love the route running....

Batman1980

Reaction score
When our QBs throw to a spot in a Garrett/Linehan offense, route running is a premium necessity and one of the biggest reasons Dez would vanish. High dollar WRs are superfluous in this offense anyway.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with Gallup. Didn’t see a single game Colorado St played. Nor do I recall seeing Hurn or Austin play so I have nothing to go on except Austin was basically a flop 1st rounder and Hurn stats look more like a Jag.

But I’m not familiar at all with their skill sets only that Austin has speed.

I’m definitely more encouraged with your insight.
Austin is a nice gadget player. I like him and I like the acquisition, but I'm not looking for a starting WR in him.

Ced was a steal in the 6th. Should provide that deep threat we've been sorely lacking since.......Glenn? It's been a long time.

Gallup has the skillset to be a quality WR. Great pickup. It's all about route running, and Gallup has very good agility and burst out of the breaks.

I don't think too much of Thompson and Hurns, I believe they're just fillins until we develop a quality WR corps.

Oh, and don't forget Noah Brown. Nice potential. Will he realize it? To be seen.

And the biggest difference, all of these young guys are hard workers w/ great attitudes.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh, and if Gallup had not played at a place like COLO ST, he would've been a late 1st/2nd round pick!!! Didn't hurt that this was a very deep draft for WR's, albeit light up at the top.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Well, its the off season. Writers gotta write even when there isn't much to write about.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Oh, and if Gallup had not played at a place like COLO ST, he would've been a late 1st/2nd round pick!!! Didn't hurt that this was a very deep draft for WR's, albeit light up at the top.

I like his potential, granted not as much as the 1st rounders but none of them wowed my pants off.

kskboys

Reaction score
I like his potential, granted not as much as the 1st rounders but none of them wowed my pants off.
I think his potential is just as high as anyone besides Ridley. There seriously wasn't all that much separation between them.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Says the man whose team has a top 3 WR in the NFL that was acquired in the 5th round! (I think, might have been the 6th)

The draft Dez was taken in the 1st, the Steelers picked Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd and AB in the 6th.

But I'm not a fan of ever taking a WR in the 1st - ever.

... or RB with rare exceptions.

Batman1980

Reaction score
The draft Dez was taken in the 1st, the Steelers picked Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd and AB in the 6th.

But I'm not a fan of ever taking a WR in the 1st - ever.

... or RB with rare exceptions.

Elliott and Smith would be exceptions to me but they seem to be tanks that you can use all over the field for 20-25 touches a game.

WRs just don't touch the ball enough most games to be worth high draft picks or high dollar contracts to me.