ESPN's Bill Barnwell: Cowboys have worst group of WRs in the league

CPanther95

Reaction score
Elliott and Smith would be exceptions to me but they seem to be tanks that you can use all over the field for 20-25 touches a game.

WRs just don't touch the ball enough most games to be worth high draft picks or high dollar contracts to me.

RBs can be worth a first rounder with hindsight, but I'd never spend one unless it was the lone missing piece. Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Fournette, Johnson, etc. can all transform your running game - but I'd never invest a first rounder in one unless I have my franchise QB, OL and a perennial Top 5 defense in place.

Definitely not a fan of Elliott at #4, and as much as I like Saquon, I think the Giants are making the exact same mistake.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Part of that problem is the Cowboys have a top 5 or 3 OL. The G-Strings have a middling OL with a serviceable LT and an aging QB. Not to mention some love that WR corp, I have questions. Will ODB (who relied a LOT on his speed) be the same? Is Shepherd really a #2? Can Engram improve? Do they have anyone after their top 2 WRs, especially after cutting Marshall? Not really.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Stop it!!!
Its not the same thing. Is it the same thing to have Alfred Morris averaging the same YPC as Zeke? Why not just have a committee of backs? As long as they get 1500 yards together then its the same thing right?
Wrong!!!!
Having a dangerous player at the skill positions is valuable because it keeps defenses needing to account for them which opens up stuff for the tier 2 guys. When you play the Steelers you always need to account for AB. Its not just about stats at the end of the season. Its about how dangerous weapons open up the rest of the offense. Zeke opens up play action ect.
Good!!! Thank you sir. Running back by committee means you don't have a real
RB, WRs by committee means you don't have a real WR, defensive end by committee means you don't have a dominant DE ( we do now and he will be playing about 80%of the snaps )

Batman1980

Reaction score
Good!!! Thank you sir. Running back by committee means you don't have a real
RB, WRs by committee means you don't have a real WR, defensive end by committee means you don't have a dominant DE ( we do now and he will be playing about 80%of the snaps )

Pretty much all WR corp are by committee though. There's maybe 4 teams in the NFL that can load up their entire passing game onto 1 guy. Even teams with a true WR1 usually funnel their passing game through 3 guys.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Part of that problem is the Cowboys have a top 5 or 3 OL. The G-Strings have a middling OL with a serviceable LT and an aging QB. Not to mention some love that WR corp, I have questions. Will ODB (who relied a LOT on his speed) be the same? Is Shepherd really a #2? Can Engram improve? Do they have anyone after their top 2 WRs, especially after cutting Marshall? Not really.

Cowboys have the better OLine, but much worse receiving corps.

Neither team has the defense needed to rely heavily on a running game against playoff caliber opponents.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The important question is, does the Dez Bryant of the past two years catapult this unit into the top 10? Absolutely not. If anything, forcing him the ball has been a liability.

Consequently, I don’t see a great difference between the unit now and what’s it been over the past two seasons where they’ve had a 20-10 record.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I really despise these WR articles, especially when analysts praise Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffery as great wide-outs. The Eagles won the Super Bowl because of supernatural QB play, a great defense, and great coaching. Alshon was their best receiver not named Zach Ertz and his numbers very closely mirrored Dez's. I'm not impressed. The fact is elite wide-outs do not win Super Bowls in this league anymore. Examples: Julio, Antonio, Deandre Hopkins, AJ Green, and I'll even say Odell.

When was the last time that that even happened? Marvin Harrison? Isaac Bruce? I personally think WR is the most replaceable position on offense and the Boys will demonstrate that when Prescott is able to spread the ball around and make plays with his feet. Defense is absolutely key to winning the Super Bowl, and I am hoping we are using these bargain bin wide outs to further address the needs on D (possibly trading for Thomas, giving D-Law and extension, etc.).

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
How quickly the fans forget we were trying to get Sammy Watkins to be our no 1 receiver to replace Dez. The plan wasn't supposed to be by committee, that was our backup plan

CPanther95

Reaction score
I'll bet Tavon Austin ends up being put into the regular receiver rotation before the bye week.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
How quickly the fans forget we were trying to get Sammy Watkins to be our no 1 receiver to replace Dez. The plan wasn't supposed to be by committee, that was our backup plan

In a way, I like that though. The FO was like "OK, the #1 WR we were targeting is off the market, there's no one in the draft who can really be a #1, we'll just build our defense rather than overspend on mediocre WR talent."

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
RBs can be worth a first rounder with hindsight, but I'd never spend one unless it was the lone missing piece. Elliott, Bell, Gurley, Fournette, Johnson, etc. can all transform your running game - but I'd never invest a first rounder in one unless I have my franchise QB, OL and a perennial Top 5 defense in place.

Definitely not a fan of Elliott at #4, and as much as I like Saquon, I think the Giants are making the exact same mistake.

Elliott allows us to to have a really good offense with an average QB much like Jacksonville. The Giants need more than saquon but if he can run well they will get dangerous again.

kskboys

Reaction score

After watching EZ carry the team to a stellar season in 16, what makes you say he's a mistake? Unless you're referring to the possible knuckleheadedness, but since Saquon is a hard worker and a good kid, that knocks that out.

kskboys

Reaction score
Elliott allows us to to have a really good offense with an average QB much like Jacksonville. The Giants need more than saquon but if he can run well they will get dangerous again.
Giants stacked up on the OL in the off and could easily surprise.

CPanther95

Reaction score

A really good offense with an average QB won't go anywhere without a great defense.

With a #4 pick, I want a QB (if I need one) that can learn while I'm building my defense and then stay on the roster for 12 to 15 years to take advantage of it. Not a RB that will be gone by the time I've built a defense that can compete in the playoffs.

Unless Eli surprises, the Giants will likely be searching for their next franchise QB for a decent chunk of the time Saquan is with the team.

Now if the Giants or Cowboys defense surprise people and they get a Lombardi in the next couple years then the RB could have been that missing piece and its all worth it.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I love our WR's. Because I look at their skillset and see great route running(Gallup) and great pure speed(SirCed and Hurns and Thompson) and I'm glad because we fiiiiiinally paid attention to what matters at the WR position.
you are delusional if you think Hurns has great pure speed. Delusional, I have followed this guy since he was at The U. He has terrible top end speed and corners can recover and jump routes on him. There is a reason he was a UDFA coming out of college... Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.