ESPN's Bill Barnwell: Cowboys have worst group of WRs in the league

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I really don't have an issue with the ranking. They are not impressive on paper. Our top WR was not the best WR on his former team. Our top rookie was not widely considered among the top part of the draft class. Our best returning WR is coming off a bad year.

All that matters is that they perhaps take the disrespect personally and perform.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I really don't understand how we could be worse than last year. Dez sucked last year and nobody else crossed 600 yards.

Between oline health, 16 games of zeke, and no more wasted targets or dropped passes on crucial plays by Dez, I think we'll be ok.

I agree they should be near the bottom of a preseason ranking, they're new and/or unproven and we're watching a scheme change take place. I think they'll be much higher in the postseason rankings. Gonna surprise some people I think.

Alexander

Reaction score
I can't be the only one tired about hearing how terribad our WR's are. Football needs to start already...
I am tired of talk and speculation. I know every offseason seems insanely long, but this one is more weird since the speculation and question marks around the team are about as significant as they have been in a long time.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I've been saying this for months. I can't go down a list of wrs on any other team and find a less accomplished group. We don't even have a decent prospect.

If Wentz was the QB behind this line and with Zeke at rb, how would this team fair?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This isn't the first time I've heard or seen this mention. To me, it's the reality of challenges facing this offense. It's easy for us as fans to get excited about the number of different weapons for Dak but the truth is, they are all mostly unproven.

I agree they're mostly unproven. Anyone saying they're the worst is claiming proof they do not possess as of this date.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
Barnwell is the king of writing 30 minute long articles, based on a thesis of his, that eventually proves to be false. He's Eddie Mush from Bronx Tale. WRs will be fine, and this just confirmed it.

Scotman

Reaction score
I really don't have an issue with the ranking. They are not impressive on paper. Our top WR was not the best WR on his former team. Our top rookie was not widely considered among the top part of the draft class. Our best returning WR is coming off a bad year.

All that matters is that they perhaps take the disrespect personally and perform.
This exactly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You know I have no problem with the ranking but it's hilarious that if we had Dez who most of us admit has had better years than this ranking would be top 20.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't the first time I've heard or seen this mention. To me, it's the reality of challenges facing this offense. It's easy for us as fans to get excited about the number of different weapons for Dak but the truth is, they are all mostly unproven.

No, that's not the truth. You're just a fan sugarcoating it while trying to look objective. These "weapons" aren't mostly unproven. Most of them are very much proven. They just aren't very good. Hurns, Williams, Beasley, Thompson, Austin, Swaim. These are veterans with years in the league. You know what they are. And that could easily be 4 of your top 5 WRs and your starting TE this year.

It's been a very long time since the Cowboys have fielded skill position players this terrible.

Alexander

Reaction score
The WRs will be horrible this year; Gallup will show flashes, but the Garrett Era will finally end with one more 8-8 season.
And if that happens, he will get another year since oh well, the WRs were subpar. He got them to scratch, battle and claw for eight wins. Success!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24045670/ranking-nfl-best-worst-offensive-arsenals-weapons-2018
NFL's best and worst offensive arsenals: 32-1 weapons ranking
Jul 11, 2018
  • i

Bill BarnwellESPN Staff Writer
If you had to list the reasons why the Eagles went from last place in the NFC East to Super Bowl LII champions in 12 months, weapons wouldn't be far from the top.

General manager Howie Roseman went out last year and transformed what Carson Wentz was working with by adding LeGarrette Blount, Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in free agency. Corey Clement worked his way into the rotation as a replacement for the injured Darren Sproles. Nelson Agholor took Jordan Matthews' spot and evolved from failed first-round pick into an effective slot receiver. Throw in the Dolphins scapegoating Jay Ajayi for their problems and Philly's trio of effective tight ends, and you have a group of weapons that was able to help propel Wentz to an MVP-caliber campaign and keep Nick Foles afloat in the postseason
Kalen Ballage.

Dallas Cowboys[/paste:font]
When you remove that dominant offensive line and quarterback Dak Prescott from the equation, the Cowboys are left with one excellent running back in Ezekiel Elliott and what must surely be the worst receiving corps in football. The four tight ends vying to replace Jason Witten have 94 combined career receiving yards, all of which come from Geoff Swaim. The team's best wideout is Allen Hurns, who had one impressive season in four years with the Jaguars and hasn't been able to stay healthy over the past two seasons. The team is excited about third-round pick Michael Gallup, which is a reflection on the power of hope, but even Tavon Austin has to believe that the organizational plan to give the former Rams wideout 12 to 24 touches per game on offense is too much Tavon Austin

I think this is totally accurate. Who all has a less proven recieving corp?

That doesn’t mean they’re going to suk but it certainly doesnt look promising without more evidence . We shall see but so far positive speculation is based solely on optimism not anything concrete.

But my hunch is WR and TE will be priorities in next draft if QB isn’t too( lol) but most likely that will be part of the excuse why Dak struggles again and we miss playoffs.