News: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio calls for NFL to investigate Eagles, coach for tanking

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Those team that feel they got screwed can file a complaint but it won't go anywhere because of the long history of letting playoff teams protect starters in the last game.

I did a word search in my file and didn't find anything with tank but I didn't think I would. When I do find it it will probably be worded like all teams have to make ever effort to win or something like that..
I see you aren't going to address the point I made.

I honestly don't think there is any rule on the books. If there was, the time honored tradition of resting starters would have been called out a long time ago.

One more try.... Why shouldn't the fans, players and coaches of the team the Browns pushed out of the playoffs due to their win over a second string Steelers team be just as upset? You're going to have to better than 'just because'.

The "integrity of the game" either matters or it doesn't. Period.

Be fascinating to see the reaction had the Cowboys been in the FT's position Sunday night.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The bottom line here is there's nothing the NFL can do.

The Chiefs rested Mahomes in the finale- did they tank? The Steelers rested Big Ben. And so on and so on.

It happens every year and every team that does it have different reasons for doing so. The Eagles lost by a mere six points and Sal Paolantonio wants an investigation just because they benched Hurts??

Where was Sal in 2017 when the Eagles played Sudfeld against Dallas in the finale and lost 6-0?? :lmao2:

Flamma

Reaction score
No I didn't avoid your steelesr question. I've answered it a couple of time. It's been accepted for a long time for teams, like the steelers, who have locked up a playoff spot to sit starters and not risk them getting injured and possibly missing the playoffs. i get it that you either don't get that or you don't like that but it's been done for a long time. That has nothing to do with a team with a losing record that does not try to win a game and starts to pull starters especially in a very close game just to make sure it doesn't affect their draft status. You may not like this either but there is a NFL rule that forbids that.

I'm starting to go through a PDF file I have on NFL rules. It has 192 pages and when I find it I'll let you know.

Here's the problem. It's not about whether or not that rule exists, it's whether or not the rule has a written exception. If it does, they you're 100% right. But if it doesn't, you can't justify it by saying "It's been accepted for a long time". Because that's meaningless. I want to see where it says in writing that a team already in the playoffs may rest players to prevent injury. If it doesn't say that then the Steelers and Chiefs are breaking the same rule.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I see you aren't going to address the point I made.

I honestly don't think there is any rule on the books. If there was, the time honored tradition of resting starters would have been called out a long time ago.

One more try.... Why shouldn't the fans, players and coaches of the team the Browns pushed out of the playoffs due to their win over a second string Steelers team be just as upset? You're going to have to better than 'just because'.

Be fascinating to see the reaction had the Cowboys been in the FT's position Sunday night.
Good point.

aria

Reaction score
I have to say, here in NJ, I am truly enjoying the Giant fans tears as if they were deserving of a playoff spot and were robbed! LOL!
The ironic thing is that there was already a thread at the beginning of last week with with plenty of cry babies claiming the Eagles would throw the game out of spite if the Cowboys won. Now once it was the Giants that missed out due to a tank job some of those same people act like it’s no big deal or are laughing at the Giants. Typical cry baby hypocrisy from a lot of the same posters.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Here's the problem. It's not about whether or not that rule exists, it's whether or not the rule has a written exception. If it does, they you're 100% right. But if it doesn't, you can't justify it by saying "It's been accepted for a long time". Because that's meaningless. I want to see where it says in writing that a team already in the playoffs may rest players to prevent injury. If it doesn't say that then the Steelers and Chiefs are breaking the same rule.

I'm sure there isn't any written exception to the rule but I'll give you another example of how blind eyes are turned. How many times has one of the top QB been barely touched and the defense got flagged for it yet another QB get hit much harder and no flag is thrown. Now the rule states what roughing is yet the unwritten rule is they protect the top QB's a little more.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Investigation lol

“Did you intend to tank?”
“No”
“Alright thanks”
Sal Pal: (Gasping and heaving) So, am I right? Did they tank?
CSI NFL : No, Sal. They're clean.
Sal Pal: (Eyes crossing) You sure? I think...
CSI NFL: (Patting Sal on the back) Sal, the nice nurse here has some candy for you.
Sal Pal: Whimpering...

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm sure there isn't any written exception to the rule but I'll give you another example of how blind eyes are turned. How many times has one of the top QB been barely touched and the defense got flagged for it yet another QB get hit much harder and no flag is thrown. Now the rule states what roughing is yet the unwritten rule is they protect the top QB's a little more.

I understand your point fully. Nothing you said was wrong. Not in this post, and not in regards to the game. Enforcing it becomes problematic. Especially when there's a union involved. I'd love nothing more than for the Eagles to lose a few draft positions.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Why shouldn't the fans, players and coaches of the team the Browns pushed out of the playoffs due to their win over a second string Steelers team be just as upset? You're going to have to better than 'just because'.

If the "integrity of the game" mattered as much as it suddenly does here (after ten weeks of "tank" this and "tank" that) the NFL wouldn't reward failure.

European soccer leagues have no such issues. Why? Because the bottom three teams in the league get relegated. Teams fight to the death for every win they can muster to avoid it. But as long as the NFL has a system that tells losing teams late in the season that winning doesn't matter, and more losing will be rewarded, it's ridiculous to expect winning to matter to those teams.

This shouldn't be hard to comprehend.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
ESPN star reporter calls for NFL to investigate Eagles, coach for tanking

246ff389-AP20355799098737.jpg

Many sports fans and media members across the country criticized the Philadelphia Eagles for their lack of effort in their 20-14 loss to the Washington Football Team on Sunday night.

Read Full Story

Does that mean JAX should be investigated as well as the Jets (before they won a few games after obviously tanking against the Raiders)?

This will go nowhere.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
If the "integrity of the game" mattered as much as it suddenly does here (after ten weeks of "tank" this and "tank" that) the NFL wouldn't reward failure.

European soccer leagues have no such issues. Why? Because the bottom three teams in the league get relegated. Teams fight to the death for every win they can muster to avoid it. But as long as the NFL has a system that tells losing teams late in the season that winning doesn't matter, and more losing will be rewarded, it's ridiculous to expect winning to matter to those teams.

This shouldn't be hard to comprehend.
I agree but I don't know what this has to do with the point I was making.

My point was more about the hypocrisy of the pearl clutching going on over the Eagles supposedly disrespecting the integrity of the game.

The NFL traded its integrity for profit a long time ago.