News: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio calls for NFL to investigate Eagles, coach for tanking

Flamma

Reaction score
Or move Philly to the spot they would have been in had they won, or better yet move them to the last spot among non-playoff teams.

That would be sensible. Anything would make their fanbase erupt.

Redline360

Reaction score
I live in the Eagles / Giants area and both sides extremely mad. A petition to investigate could actually gain some momentum as you have players calling out coaches and the sideline beef(if you want to call it that).

However the league will never do anything besides the yeah we looked into it bla blah blah.

Big_D

Reaction score
Apparently not.

Teams do this crap a lot. The way they did it is causing attention. Doug should have just started Sudfeld if his intention was to lose.

More POed about playing for draft position instead of going 4-11-1 in the first place! but I’m sure a win would have catapulted that team to great things! lol

Last edited:

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
The NFL tends to punish adverse headlines, and it really tends to punish when the underbelly is shown on national TV.

I don't really have a position on whether the Eagles should be punished, but I do think they likely will. Fair or unfair is irrelevant. The league looked bad. That's the crime. Had this been a Sunday early game, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But find someone who loves you as much as the league loves its image.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The NFL tends to punish adverse headlines, and it really tends to punish when the underbelly is shown on national TV.

I don't really have a position on whether the Eagles should be punished, but I do think they likely will. Fair or unfair is irrelevant. The league looked bad. That's the crime. Had this been a Sunday early game, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But find someone who loves you as much as the league loves its image.

Totally agree. They didn't give a rats hiney about domestic violence until it hit the fan with Ray Rice. Then they unloaded on Greg Hardy because he has the poor bastage who was the next person to be accused.

nobody

Reaction score
I have ZERO problem if there is zero playoff implications for your team if you play backups and rookies to get them experience for the next season. It makes sense to think ahead....that being said, the way it was handled was extremely dumb and hurt the Eagles locker room and made the League look bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a dysfunctional Eagles locker room, but for some players who played their heart out to have it so blatantly thrown in their face like that? Not cool.

Big_D

Reaction score

They sell the draft too. You can't pretend it's not important in situations like this. No way in hell they should be punished.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Totally agree. They didn't give a rats hiney about domestic violence until it hit the fan with Ray Rice. Then they unloaded on Greg Hardy because he has the poor bastage who was the next person to be accused.
Shoot, even after Rice they chose to ignore that NY kicker's disgusting domestic violence until he kept repeating it.
The team and the NFL.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
They sell the draft too. You can't pretend it's not important in situations like this. No way in hell they should be punished.
Should or should not is irrelevant. Surely anyone who has followed Goodell's all over the highway punishment pattern can see that. What happens, if anything, will depend on how long the story has legs. The NY media will bat it around for a while, I imagine.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I agree, but there's three things that let me see the Eagles POV,

- They didn't ask to be flexed to primetime, that was the NFL's decision. If this happened at 10am slot maybe no one cares
- Why should the Eagles have to risk their players safety for a game that doesn't mean anything to them? What if Hurts tears his achilles and isn't ready for opening day next season?
- It's not the Eagles job to get us or the Giants into the playoffs. If we wanted to get in, we should have won an extra game

The way it happened is unprofessional, but I find it hard to be as mad as I was when I was watching the game.

Thanks for replying.

In this case i don't think the time mattered, if they pull the same stunt at ten o'clock it's still bad.

They don't have to risk all their players but they sat a lot of them, certainly more than necessary which is fine, but the Hurts achilles issue could be said for any player. Why is the team asking any of their players to risk injury, Graham, Kelce etc.. were all playing and trying, why? Personal pride and a sense of that being the right thing to do.

Getting the Giants into the playoffs with a poor record isn't the point. Why don't teams wanting a loss late into the season just deliberately miss extra points or throw the ball onto the ground all the time or simply punt on 1st down? If we accept not trying with the team we've fielded, why bother playing?

Again, you just have to look at various player comments to see that this is an unusual situation that is seldom if ever seen and pro players don't like it.

You didn't hear complaints from teams that needed a Cleveland loss against the Steelers for holding back players, but you damn sure would if Pittsburgh intentionally tried to lose while playing those players.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Shoot, even after Rice they chose to ignore that NY kicker's disgusting domestic violence until he kept repeating it.
The team and the NFL.

That kicker Josh Brown was pulled off his wife by team security guards at a team hotel. They moved her to a separate room for protection and the NFL got a full report. One game suspension.

Corso

Reaction score
That kicker Josh Brown was pulled off his wife by team security guards at a team hotel. They moved her to a separate room for protection and the NFL got a full report. One game suspension.
Garbage. Straight garbage. This is the stuff that sets me off, but there's nothing I can do now so...

Hi guys! How's the off-season going so far?
Great? Great!

Just wait until the QB signs... whatever he signs.

LocoBates

Reaction score
:espn: And if Eagles win would Washington be investigated for losing? If the world is upset because Giants didn't make it to the Playoffs then they should be upset with the Giants for having such a bad record and playing crap all season and depending on a Team that had nothing to win (and something to gain if they lose) on the last game.

Heck! in that case Investigate the Cowboys !!! The Defense pulled an "Eagles" on the last game yet no investigation is going at the time of this writing :laugh:

Corso

Reaction score
:espn: And if Eagles win would Washington be investigated for losing? If the world is upset because Giants didn't make it to the Playoffs then they should be upset with the Giants for having such a bad record and playing crap all season and depending on a Team that had nothing to win (and something to gain if they lose) on the last game.

Heck! in that case Investigate the Cowboys !!! The Defense pulled an "Eagles" on the last game yet no investigation is going at the time of this writing :laugh:
Interesting... how so?

LocoBates

Reaction score
Interesting... how so?

oh wait! are you thinking the Defense is really that bad? my bad! I read at the beginning of the season that this was it! SB here we go!, etc.. but after seeing how Giants ran the ball and the Defense personnel on the last series, I thought they were just not interested on winning.. ;)

Corso

Reaction score
oh wait! are you thinking the Defense is really that bad? my bad! I read at the beginning of the season that this was it! SB here we go!, etc.. but after seeing how Giants ran the ball and the Defense personnel on the last series, I thought they were just not interested on winning.. ;)
Did I say that? I thought I asked you a question.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
No. That's always been done and to a certain extent accepted.

It's also been fine historically for teams to sit players with any type of injury small or otherwise, as the Eagles did on Sunday.

It's never been fine to field a team of any sort and then not try to win with that team. The Steelers, as an example while resting for the playoffs did sit starters but they give Cleveland all they could handle and didn't decide to pull Rudolph when the game got close.

What the Eagles did was egregious and should never be acceptable.

Did any of you screaming that this is no big thing etc.. stop for one second and wonder why NFL players and coaches are getting upset by this particular scenario?

I don't know.... When we start talking about the "integrity of the game" I don't see much difference between the Steelers sitting starters including the QB and the Eagles pulling their QB.

Didn't that Steelers game have significant importance to the Browns? Would another team have benefited from a Browns loss to a Steelers team fielding it's best players? Why doesn't the integrity of the game matter in that scenario?

I'm not defending the Eagles. As a fan I want to see the best players playing every game. I just find it difficult to make a distinction between the time honored tradition of sitting starters simply because a team has nothing to gain by playing them and what the Eagles did. Hell, at least the Eagles played their starter for three quarters. The Steelers must have even less respect for the integrity of the game.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I've never lost, Jack, because I believe in winning. But, when there is no hope, you try to win the best position in the draft in order to win there. You would suck at business, and I would smoke you at poker. There is no doubt about it on both. You simply don't get it, because you simply don't have it in your cabeza. End of discussion. Go sulk in your suckiness, Losers' champion.

It doesn't mater what other businesses do or what is done in poker. The NFL is not a poker league and it DOES have a rule that requires ALL teams to try their best to win EVERY game. Tanking is not allowed, especially for draft position. Yes the league turns a blind eye to teams that have locked up their playoff positions when they sit starters to they won't possibly get injured and then could miss the playoffs, but that's nowhere close to tanking just to move up in the draft.