CFZ Evaluating this team at mid-season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our home record is somewhat skewed as most of our tougher opponents have been on the road so far.

I argued the other side a few years ago when our schedule had our tougher opponents at home .

In our brutal 5 game stretch coming up after Thanksgiving we have 3 of those 5 games against stronger opponents at home which should provide a more balanced analysis.
You’re right about the future home opponents being the true test. But last year the Cowboys did beat the NFC champs eagles and emerging young stud team the lions. It hasn’t been all cupcakes in this streak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’re right about the future home opponents being the true test. But last year the Cowboys did beat the NFC champs eagles and emerging young stud team the lions. It hasn’t been all cupcakes in this streak.
True but that was a non playoff 9-8 Lion team and Egirl team without Hurts.

My point remains during this home winning streak it hasn’t been as strong as road schedule. Second half of this season should change that. I suspect the streak will end.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My point remains during this home winning streak it hasn’t been as strong as road schedule. Second half of this season should change that. I suspect the streak will end.
It’s a fair point Greggo but if beating “easy” teams at home were so easy, why do the Cowboys have the longest home winning streak in the nfl right now? The chiefs have lost to some lesser teams in the last 2 seasons. In fact they lost to those same lions at home last year and we beat the lions.

An 11 game home winning streak in the NFL is nothing to discount regardless of opponents.

Praxit

Reaction score
...Super Bowl, Bullet..
super-bowl-nfl.gif

75boyz

Reaction score
Bob,
I think I could make a rather general statement on your OP here that would cover a LOT/MOST of the categories you mentioned.

And that is...
The entire coaching staff needs to step their game up.
But especially, the HC.

Imo, it's in his and the QB's hands on how far we go.
And I'm not the biggest believer in either.

But ultimately, I ain't against eating some fresh well done crow either.

So yep, half way mark, to be continued and still TBD.

Cowboys!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Slight correction on your INT number…think you forgot CJ Stroud. I believe he still only has one INT on the year.. kid is seriously balling…but carry on
And Baker Mayfield also only has 4. He is the second fewest interceptions and second fewest sacks taken in the NFL despite starting every game

Motorola

Reaction score

It’s a fair point Greggo but if beating “easy” teams at home were so easy, why do the Cowboys have the longest home winning streak in the nfl right now? The chiefs have lost to some lesser teams in the last 2 seasons.

An 11 game home winning streak in the NFL is nothing to discount regardless of opponents.
As we all know, this current regular season home game is the longest.
But in league history- it doesn’t even crack the top 50 ----
10 teams have had a 12- game streak (1 team twice)

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don’t necessarily disagree with you but I am curious…what areas do you see us digressing from last year?
Overall intensity. A lack of urgency about where they are at, and what has gone wrong. Instead, we get rationalizations and excuses.

Less discipline. A lot of running their mouths on social media rather than finding ways to get better.

Short yardage and red zone play is far worse.

Penalties seem even worse this year even though last year was no picnic either. Was McCarthy just telling everyone what they wanted to hear regarding cleaning up penalties from last year?

We are one game worse than at this point last year record wise even though this year we were expected to take the next step towards contending.

GM Jerry had a horrible draft which isn't giving much help to a team that needs it in key areas.

GM Jerry got lazy and arrogant with the trade deadline so no help given to a team that needs it in key areas.

Everyone is a year older.

I think a lot of these guys, Jerry included, thought that the Cowboys taking the next step in 2023 was a given, and so we had Camp Bubble-wrap, because why work hard? Guys might get hurt!

Mikexike

Reaction score
Sunday’s game vs the giants will signify passing the mid-point of the 2023 season and it‘s a good time to evaluate this team’s strengths, weaknesses and needs going forward.

STRENGTHS (Not necessarily in order of importance)
  • The Cowboys have been good at home as evidenced by an 11 game home winning streak. During the Garrett years, the Cowboys were barely above .500 so this team has gained a home field advantage for a change.
  • The Cowboys beat the teams they are supposed to (other than Ariz). The Cowboys usually destroy lower rungs teams on their schedule.
  • Pass rush. When this team has a two score lead, the pass rush led by Parsons is brutal on opponents.
  • Dak has protected the ball well with 5 INTs so far. Only Joe Burrow (4) has less among starting QBs. Whatever anyone thinks about Dak, he’s been good, just not top 5 great. I still think he’s good enough to win playoff games with the right team around him.
  • Cedee Lamb. Has emerged into a top 10 NFL receiver and completely reliable weapon for the offense. In fact the MOST reliable weapon.
  • Pass defense. Despite the loss of Travon Diggs, the Cowboys secondary has held up well overall. They have 9 INTs, two for TDs and are ranked 3rd against the pass in yardage surrendered.
  • The defense has generated 12 TOs in 8 games which is outstanding.
  • STs have been excellent. Brandon Aubrey is probably THE most reliable player on the team, and the Cowboys have blocked 2 punts and a FG, creating 2 TDs and a safety.
WEAKNESSES
  • Running game. The Cowboys only average 3.9 yards per rush and only avg about 110 yards a game. By having a weak running game, it forces Dak to have to do more which does not help this team. Pollard doesn’t look like a “bell cow” type back when receiving the majority of touches.
  • Penalties. Dallas is tied w/ four other teams for most penalties with 60, and have THE most pre-snap penalties with 22. If they don’t fix the pre-snap penalty problems, they will have a short stint in the playoffs.
  • OLine has been inconsistent. They have surrendered 23 sacks (11th most in the league so far) and the running game has been anemic. Tyron Smith has actually played well…when he‘s not hurt. This group needed help in the off-season and IMO the FO didn’t do enough to address it.
  • Not enough Receivers getting involved. Cedee Lamb has been great and TE Jake Ferguson has emerged but Cooks, Gallup and other TEs have not been getting enough targets for whatever reason.
  • Lack of depth at some key positions. RB, OL, LB are probably an injury away from trouble. This is true for most NFL teams but not the ones at the very top. We could all see a need at RB depth this off-season as well as OL but the FO has been reluctant to address it.
NEEDS GOING FORWARD TO COMPETE IN THE PLAYOFFS
  • Address the pre-snap penalties! Leading the league in pre-snap penalties will spell doom in the playoffs. We have 11 penalties for lining up off-sides! Just sloppy and lack of attention to detail.
  • Get more receivers involved to take pressure off Lamb. Cooks and Gallup have underperformed but occasionally they’ve been open and Dak hasn’t thrown to them. These guys must get more involved or DCs are going to shut down just Cedee to beat us.
  • Get Rico Dowdle more involved in the run game. I love Tony Pollard but he’s more effective in the 15-20 touches per game rather than 20-25. Dowdle has more power- we must use him more!
  • Faster starts for the offense. We cannot afford to continue with the opening 3 and out, especially against good teams. Poor offensive starts spell disaster in the playoffs.
  • Need someone to make a play in clutch moments. Thats often the difference between good and great. Great teams make clutch plays when the game is on the line.
BOTTOM LINE AT MID-SEASON
Bill Parcells’ old quote “You are what your record says you are” has never been more true with this team. This is a good, not great team so far this season and the record reflects that. If we want to at least reach a conference championship game for the first time in nearly 3 decades, the team must improve. Good but not great is a repeat of too many recent seasons. Let’s hope they can up their game.

Your thoughts?
I agree with your thoughts, I bet if we were better with pre snap penalties we are probably undefeated at this point.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Sunday’s game vs the giants will signify passing the mid-point of the 2023 season and it‘s a good time to evaluate this team’s strengths, weaknesses and needs going forward.

• The Cowboys have been good at home as evidenced by an 11 game home winning streak. During the Garrett years, the Cowboys were barely above .500 so this team has gained a home field advantage for a change.
  • The Cowboys beat the teams they are supposed to (other than Ariz). The Cowboys usually destroy lower rungs teams on their schedule.
  • Pass rush. When this team has a two score lead, the pass rush led by Parsons is brutal on opponents.
  • Dak has protected the ball well with 5 INTs so far. Only Joe Burrow (4) has less among starting QBs. Whatever anyone thinks about Dak, he’s been good, just not top 5 great. I still think he’s good enough to win playoff games with the right team around him.
  • Cedee Lamb. Has emerged into a top 10 NFL receiver and completely reliable weapon for the offense. In fact the MOST reliable weapon.
  • Pass defense. Despite the loss of Travon Diggs, the Cowboys secondary has held up well overall. They have 9 INTs, two for TDs and are ranked 3rd against the pass in yardage surrendered.
  • STs have been excellent. Brandon Aubrey is probably THE most reliable player on the team, and the Cowboys have blocked 2 punts and a FG, creating 2 TDs and a safety.
WEAKNESSES
  • Running game. The Cowboys only average 3.9 yards per rush and only avg about 110 yards a game. By having a weak running game, it forces Dak to have to do more which does not help this team. Pollard doesn’t look like a “bell cow” type back when receiving the majority of touches.
  • Penalties. Dallas is tied w/ four other teams for most penalties with 60, and have THE most pre-snap penalties with 22. If they don’t fix the pre-snap penalty problems, they will have a short stint in the playoffs.
  • OLine has been inconsistent. They have surrendered 23 sacks (11th most in the league so far) and the running game has been anemic. Tyron Smith has actually played well…when he‘s not hurt. This group needed help in the off-season and IMO the FO didn’t do enough to address it.
  • Not enough Receivers getting involved. Cedee Lamb has been great and TE Jake Ferguson has emerged but Cooks, Gallup and other TEs have not been getting enough targets for whatever reason.
  • Lack of depth at some key positions. RB, OL, LB are probably an injury away from trouble. This is true for most NFL teams but not the ones at the very top. We could all see a need at RB depth this off-season as well as OL but the FO has been reluctant to address it.
  • Address the pre-snap penalties! Leading the league in pre-snap penalties will spell doom in the playoffs. We have 11 penalties for lining up off-sides! Just sloppy and lack of attention to detail.
  • Get more receivers involved to take pressure off Lamb. Cooks and Gallup have underperformed but occasionally they’ve been open and Dak hasn’t thrown to them. These guys must get more involved or DCs are going to shut down just Cedee to beat us.
  • Get Rico Dowdle more involved in the run game. I love Tony Pollard but he’s more effective in the 15-20 touches per game rather than 20-25. Dowdle has more power- we must use him more!
  • Faster starts for the offense. We cannot afford to continue with the opening 3 and out, especially against good teams. Poor offensive starts spell disaster in the playoffs.
  • Need someone to make a play in clutch moments. Thats often the difference between good and great. Great teams make clutch plays when the game is on the line.
Bill Parcells’ old quote “You are what your record says you are” has never been more true with this team. This is a good, not great team so far this season and the record reflects that. If we want to at least reach a conference championship game for the first time in nearly 3 decades, the team must improve. Good but not great is a repeat of too many recent seasons. Let’s hope they can up their game.

Your thoughts?
Good synopsis as usual. I see the OL play as the biggest disappointment.

To me the OL group is the key for most teams and especially this group. If OL can gel by seasons end this team would be a tough out in the playoffs.

The big if's: OL plays to talent level and their health, Dak stays focused on RUNNING when available, and penalty reduction.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Also, forgot to mention in my last response to Bob - We have greatly regressed head to head with SF which we played tough the last two times we lost to them. To now get blown out historically rather than close the gap is the biggest indicator of regression.

GMO415

Reaction score

WEAKNESSES

Your thoughts?
Bullet, "you can't call them losers anymore"
Bill Parcells

75boyz

Reaction score
Overall intensity. A lack of urgency about where they are at, and what has gone wrong. Instead, we get rationalizations and excuses.

Less discipline. A lot of running their mouths on social media rather than finding ways to get better.

Short yardage and red zone play is far worse.

Penalties seem even worse this year even though last year was no picnic either. Was McCarthy just telling everyone what they wanted to hear regarding cleaning up penalties from last year?

We are one game worse than at this point last year record wise even though this year we were expected to take the next step towards contending.

GM Jerry had a horrible draft which isn't giving much help to a team that needs it in key areas.

GM Jerry got lazy and arrogant with the trade deadline so no help given to a team that needs it in key areas.

Everyone is a year older.

I think a lot of these guys, Jerry included, thought that the Cowboys taking the next step in 2023 was a given, and so we had Camp Bubble-wrap, because why work hard? Guys might get hurt!
Excellent post.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now this interests this fan:

Cowboys' LB Markquese Bell vs. Giants' RB Saquon Barkley​

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...kavontae-turpin-markquese-bell-saquon-barkley

Expect the New York Giants to get Saquon Barkley involved early and often in this Week 10 matchup with the Dallas Cowboys. He is their best and most consistent offensive weapon. He might be their only chance to make this game competitive considering they are starting their third-string QB this week, Tommy DeVito. To help neutralize Barkley, keep an eye on LB Markquese Bell, the safety turned linebacker. He's been a revelation for Dallas' defense this season and is one of the top-rated linebackers in the league according to PFF.

Kwyn

Reaction score

WEAKNESSES

Your thoughts?
Good post @Bobhaze thanks for contributing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As we all know, this current regular season home game is the longest.
But in league history- it doesn’t even crack the top 50 ----
10 teams have had a 12- game streak (1 team twice)
I’d have to look it up but it’s probably our longest home streak since we moved . I know one season we won 8 straight.

And to @Bobhaze, I’m not discounting the streak as much as putting into perspective. Schedules often have a major contributing factor. And if it had been mentioned I wouldn’t have needed to comment.