CFZ Evaluating this team at mid-season

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
  • Faster starts for the offense. We cannot afford to continue with the opening 3 and out, especially against good teams. Poor offensive starts spell disaster in the playoffs.

Your thoughts?
That's the one for me. I get that teams use the first drives to establish how the defenses are playing, but our whole game should be predicated on getting a lead, helping Dak to play HIS controlling game. Id add the Defense coming out and starting strong as well.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We’ve had 10 false starts and a whopping 11 offsides calls, along with 2 delay of game penalties. That means over 1/3 of this team’s penalties are pre-snap. It’s a complete lack of focus and attention to detail that must be addressed.
I dont know if it's so much as a "lack of focus", or a fear that they're going to get beaten and try and get off early to compensate? The penalties only tend to occur when we play better Defenses!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We’ve had 10 false starts and a whopping 11 offsides calls, along with 2 delay of game penalties. That means over 1/3 of this team’s penalties are pre-snap. It’s a complete lack of focus and attention to detail that must be addressed.
Agreed, but that's something that the players themselves must work on. The o-line players know the snap count, no excuse most plays for jumping offsides. Many of the penalties are linemen reacting to movement by the defense, if they don't jump every time the defense moves then they know not to, just a matter of focus. If they can't maintain focus during the entire game, not much the coaches can do for that. And when playing somebody like a Watt or such, that are difficult to handle, they have to trust that Dak will get rid of the ball if he can't evade the rush. In other words, don't try to make up for their inability to shut down the defense, just play your game and assume others will do the same.

To me the biggest problem is play calling. Pollard is not Zeke, he's not a pound up the middle back, of course you have to do that sometimes to keep the defense honest, but you have Luepke, that should be his job to get the 3rd and short or 4th and 1 runs.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
In short. Mostly like last year with the same results, can beat bad teams really well, cant stack up to good teams.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come playoff time:

1) you don’t play weak teams
2) you need to have a solid running game.
3) you need to have solid OL play.
4) you need to limit penalties.

Smell what I’m cookin’?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come playoff time:

Smell what I’m cookin’?
Well said and to the point. Until the Cowboys can win a divisional round game and at least advance to an NFC championship game, we are what the last nearly 3 decades say we are: Underachievers in the playoffs.

The Cowboys are 0-7 in divisional playoff games since ‘95. Meanwhile our two biggest rivals rack up big playoff numbers- the niners and eagles are both 7-3 in their divisional playoff games since ‘95.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Very good recap.

Folks are big mad but reality is Dallas lost road games to both NFC Championship game participants.
Arizona was a bad let down loss with 3 players injured mid-week and we played flat and just awful.

Next two games feel like gimmes, and life could look very different at 7-3.
But this team has a lot of work to do to beat elite teams, especially on the road.
OL has to settle and we need some health and continuity but may be forced to shuffle or rotate at RT.
Got a couple weeks but the BYE is over and you will face a buzzsaw of a schedule again later in the year.

TE/WR is pretty simple. We have 2 studs and then just hope behind them.
Hope Cooks gets going in this offense with his speed and hope Schoon learns to catch the ball and chew food at the same time.

CB was great through the 3 deep and now we are on that marginal/JAG 4th guy.
i agree with most of that... however we lost four players during that week 3 PB OL and Diggs, just bad day at the office

On cooks and others not just hope not been truly called upon yet nor should they.

i believe that cooks can be a good target if he got the same targets as 1 vs a 2-3 ..dont forget that..if they used him the same way as lamb i believe hed be good, history supports that when hes the guy even with average qb play he gets 1k yards,. maybe not great but not many teams have 2 that can't be a replacement for Their 1.

i don't see this as any different than our 90s teams... how many targets and production came from any other starer then MI and Novacek. Not many. simply not enough balls to go around to support cooks is underperforming simply not being targeted ie small sample size.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Come playoff time:

Smell what I’m cookin’?
really you don't there's no weak teams you like Minnesota, TB, and the giants as few recent examples??or playing SF minus their top 2 quarterbacks?? easy to say that but sheagles had the softest road to the sb ever IMHO. some luck is involved and they had that all last year and now this year, just everything seems to bounce their way. yes they are very good team but all that went down last sunday and we lose by 5 with 3 stalled drives inside the 10 and many bad calls and 3 lucky bounces for their fumbles on their turf? i dont see gap between the Boyz and eagles but such fine line between win or loss , the team that gets the most breaks or plays tad cleaner wins.. not like either of the 18 rams or 2 sf losses were by more than a score.

we simply need to clean up our mistakes i think we have the talent but make far too many mental errors along with penalties......mentally the 9ers have our # need to get passed that not unlike the 90s packers and 9ers couldn't get passed us.. its can change as it did for them.

history doesn't have to repeat itself....

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
They aren’t built for the playoffs. Weak in the interior on both sides and no running game isn’t a recipe for success.

Jay777

Reaction score
I do think Dak tends to get a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to CD Lamb. Lamb is great but Dak needs to remember that there are other receivers on the field. I don't necessarily fault the other receivers. There is certainly room for improvement but part of the problem is Dak.

Presnap penalties drive me absolutely INSANE!!! False starts will occasionally happen. They need to get better. Lining up in the NZ and illegal formation penalties are absolutely inexcusable. That's basic football! Come on!

I agree wholeheartedly that Pollard shouldn't be relied on for so many carries. He was at his best when he augmented Zeke and didn't shoulder the whole load, himself.

The GM should be fired... Oh yeah... That's right... Jerry needs to swallow his ego and focus on what he does best... Making money! He knows how to promote the team but he really needs to hire a real GM. I'm so tired of him making bad decisions.

Thanks for a very good analysis. You're spot on.

Jay777

Reaction score
One thing that concerns me greatly is that the Cowboys tend to play down to their opponents. This game against the Giants could be a huge trap. I hope McCarthy can motivate them to play their best and not just enough to win.

How does a coach keep players motivated week after week?

CCBoy

Reaction score
To take a list of possible problems and then put that on a sense of denial is not a picture on expectation or potential.

That becomes a loser's excuse if just personalized and not a description of team status going into the playoff. It is a stereotyped excuse no matter how many join in repeating the same reference. They are influencers...and no where a complete listing for failures...more of an excuse at this point in a traveled stance.

The team, despite any progressive problems, is approaching mid-season and tied for 3rd place on totals in the NFC. That isn't an analysis but an excuse.

The whole board agreed this was a critical season for Jerry, McCarthy, and Prescott...you guys have become fair weathered cry babies.

There are just way too many stomach bumpers on failure!

The Cowboys Head Coach, McCarthy, took Green Bay to the Super Bowl against the Steelers, as a sixth seed team and 6 of his starters out of the roster and lost 2 starters during the game. Yea, and he also won a Lombardi, using the basis of this current team's offense in practice.

He at both places, supported open the field up and having #3 & #4 receivers beat an opponent's same level of defenders. That opens things way up for the run game as well...or passes got deeper and successful.

Smith and Smith on the left side gives a dominant side to an opponents and gives ground for plenty on the right side. Prescott can even carry a weak right tackle easily...but that won't be the final picture even with Steele regrowing some.

Two 12 win seasons builds playoff strength in a roster positively. If you don't believe that, you know very little about football or a man with leadership.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
my evaluation at mid-season. I see no dominant team that stands out. We are among the teams that play well at times. That's about it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I do think Dak tends to get a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to CD Lamb. Lamb is great but Dak needs to remember that there are other receivers on the field. I don't necessarily fault the other receivers. There is certainly room for improvement but part of the problem is Dak.

Presnap penalties drive me absolutely INSANE!!! False starts will occasionally happen. They need to get better. Lining up in the NZ and illegal formation penalties are absolutely inexcusable. That's basic football! Come on!

I agree wholeheartedly that Pollard shouldn't be relied on for so many carries. He was at his best when he augmented Zeke and didn't shoulder the whole load, himself.

The GM should be fired... Oh yeah... That's right... Jerry needs to swallow his ego and focus on what he does best... Making money! He knows how to promote the team but he really needs to hire a real GM. I'm so tired of him making bad decisions.

Thanks for a very good analysis. You're spot on.
that's just plain ridiculous, seriously!!.... Maye Troy got tunnel vision with Michael Irvin UM NOT!!! , you feed your number one this is not wide receiver by committee. fans were upset as was CD he was getting the ball enough and ow hes getting exactly that and performing great.., this is what true #1 looks like, you throw it to him early often and twice as much as anyone.. the whole spreading the ball around is overrated and unless you dont have a true 1 its dumb and unnecessary when you're #1 is doing well...

i don't see this as any different than our 90s teams... how many targets and production came from any other starer then MI and Novacek. Not many. simply not enough balls to go around to support cooks is underperforming simply not being targeted ie small sample size.

if there are injuries the CD lamb and Furgeson and the replacements aren't doing well. than we can talk about it!!!!!

if not just let the pros handle who gets the targets,

Jay777

Reaction score
that's just plain ridiculous, seriously!!.... Maye Troy got tunnel vision with Michael Irvin UM NOT!!! , you feed your number one this is not wide receiver by committee. fans were upset as was CD he was getting the ball enough and ow hes getting exactly that and performing great.., this is what true #1 looks like, you throw it to him early often and twice as much as anyone.. the whole spreading the ball around is overrated and unless you dont have a true 1 its dumb and unnecessary when you're #1 is doing well...

if there are injuries the CD lamb and Furgeson and the replacements aren't doing well. than we can talk about it!!!!!

if not just let the pros handle who gets the targets,
My point is that Dak looks exclusively at CD while other receivers may be a more appropriate selection. Why throw to CD when he’s not open when Cooks is wide open? I’m not saying not to throw to CD. I’m saying Dak’s eyes should be eyeing all receivers.

A good team is not one dimensional. Good opponents will take away your best weapon. You have to be able to recognize your other targets.

CCBoy

Reaction score
One thing that concerns me greatly is that the Cowboys tend to play down to their opponents. This game against the Giants could be a huge trap. I hope McCarthy can motivate them to play their best and not just enough to win.

Know an opponent's strength...but never, never, fear him. Handle him!

blueblood70

Reaction score

i guess you missed the first giants game and the other games at the start fo the year, when we were up 40 points was that playing down?? the AZ game was more due to injures to 3 PB OL missing and Diggs missing on the road we got shocked and beat, refs didn't help.

reminder

108-13 point differential in 3 of the first 4 games. playing down more OLD narratives resurfacing as fact, that actually are false. but hey add the az game in first 4 games =124-41 point differential

sure we just played down to those teams.. :facepalm: :lmao:;)

CCBoy

Reaction score
My point is that Dak looks exclusively at CD while other receivers may be a more appropriate selection. Why throw to CD when he’s not open when Cooks is wide open? I’m not saying not to throw to CD. I’m saying Dak’s eyes should be eyeing all receivers.

A good team is not one dimensional. Good opponents will take away your best weapon. You have to be able to recognize your other targets.
That isn't the design of the passing game. That has been explained on site. The team had to gain a little momentum and why Lamb was used a lot during that rhythm transitioning.