Everson Griffen to test Free Agency

Sydla

Reaction score
1 year - 3.5 million - with freakin' Cleveland.

Damn.

I'd have been all over that.

Even with McCoy, I am kind of puzzled what they are thinking at DT. Frankly, I am puzzled at what they are doing along the entire DL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Griffen will be this year's McCoy............. makes too much sense, likely won't cost a ton, but we will stupidly think what we have is better.

Ooh! And we'll once again stick with overpaying Crawford to disappoint this year too? Yay...

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Damn.

Even with McCoy, I am kind of puzzled what they are thinking at DT. Frankly, I am puzzled at what they are doing along the entire DL.

You and me both.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Damn.

Maybe they are overrating Antwaun Woods?
Like in their mind, they finally found a NT for cheap with Woods that doesn't suck so that means he's "good enough", perhaps?
And those of us that get how important the position is realize he's a decent backup on most teams.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like in their mind, they finally found a NT for cheap with Woods that doesn't suck so that means he's "good enough", perhaps?
And those of us that get how important the position is realize he's a decent backup on most teams.

:hammer:

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I like Woods, but he was a breath of fresh air simply because they have sucked so bad at DT for so long.
I really hope with Big Mikey we are beginning to see a shift in philosophy...
The undervaluing of the DT spot didn't start with Marinelli though. It started with Jerry and has been a factor under every coach besides Jimmy and Bill.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh there's no question about that. He has not lived up the hype but he still can play a pretty good DE. There is zero chance I'd sign him for long term for $20MM a year, but if he gets desperate and wants a 1 year prove it deal like Quinn had, I'd pony up $15MM or so for one year.

I also wouldn't wait on him either..............I'd be all over Griffen or Golden first.
I agree on all the above. I'm down for a prove it deal on him. Some fool will come through and give him big money I have a feeling.....i'm gonna guess its a bad team too.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

I liked Woods when Rod was here because I figured he was the closest thing we could get to a real 1T, especially compared to some of the others we tried in that spot. But, with this new staff, I was really hoping for some big ol' 350 lb lane-clogger like what MM had in GB with Raji.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think there's some truth to this. I think they feel with Woods they have a cheap starter. And at some other spots they have far worse. Woods allows them not to overspend or reach in free agency or draft. Not saying I agree with it but I think that's part of their approach.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I think there's some truth to this. I think they feel with Woods they have a cheap starter. And at some other spots they have far worse. Woods allows them not to overspend or reach in free agency or draft. Not saying I agree with it but I think that's part of their approach.
To me, the problem with their approach is that you don't want to just settle for cheap and solid on the D-line.
There are some positions where you can "get by" with less, but they don't get that you can't do that with the D line.
You have to be dominant up front to compete for titles (is that not the whole point of team building?).

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I liked Woods when Rod was here because I figured he was the closest thing we could get to a real 1T, especially compared to some of the others we tried in that spot. But, with this new staff, I was really hoping for some big ol' 350 lb lane-clogger like what MM had in GB with Raji.
Well, there are a handful of guys still out there. Snacks Harrison, Mike Pennel, Mike Daniels (the latter two played under McCarthy in GB).

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To me, the problem with their approach is that you don't want to just settle for cheap and solid on the D-line.
There are some positions where you can "get by" with less, but they don't get that you can't do that with the D line.
You have to be dominant up front to compete for titles (is that not the whole point of team building?).
I agree. But at the same time......they have so much money tied up in players.......the only way they can truly get elite on the defensive line is by draft. These short term deals with these guys are gonna temporarily help but its going to continue to be a problem until they draft better there.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I agree. But at the same time......they have so much money tied up in players.......the only way they can truly get elite on the defensive line is by draft. These short term deals with these guys are gonna temporarily help but its going to continue to be a problem until they draft better there.
Agreed. The older stop-gaps can help them field a good defense in the meanwhile as they hopefully draft quality DL that can play, rather than trying to fit guys into a overtly-rigid scheme (a la marinelli).

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Just f-ing release Tyrone Crawford as that instantly saves Dallas $8M against the cap ($1.1M in dead money) and that money saved could probably pay 50% of a 2-year $16M deal for Everson Griffin to sign with Dallas. That will be his last big deal as he is 32-years old.