Video: Everson Walls - Dallas Needs A Guy Like This

Flamma

Reaction score
Undrafted in 1981 when the draft was 12 rounds.

Had 11 regular season INT's and 2 playoff INT's his rookie year......that's more than the career numbers of any CB presently on the Cowboy roster.

Lets not forget that, in the same season, safety Michael Downs, also an undrafted rookie, had 6 INT's and the other CB, Dennis Thurman, had 9. In terms of INT's, that season is still ranked as the best in Cowboy history and 4th best in NFL history.

However, you can't discount the fact that, in the first half of the 80's, the Cowboys were ranked #1 in opponent passer rating (lowest), #1 in opponent completion rate, #2 in opponent sacks, and #1 in INT's.

Much of the credit goes to a defensive line manned by a #1 (Jones), #2 (White), and #5 (Dutton) overall pick in the draft. The other guy, Harvey Martin, belongs in the Hall of Fame.

That defensive line is really what the Cowboys need.

I loved Walls. But Downs, Fellows, and Thurman used to aggravate me immensely. The real talent was Walls, the rest were smart players that were opportunists as a direct result of our defensive line pressure. Walls was just a ball hog. The others would often get carved up when Dallas couldn't get pressure.

I loved Walls technique. Down the sideline he'd put his back to the WR while looking back at the QB. Basically pinning and denying any back shoulder pass. Got some picks that way too. I know I'm being a little too rough on the others, they played the position better than the one's we have now.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
A team getting 20 interceptions during the course of a season leads to a playoff berth almost every time.
This is a pretty silly cutoff since it has only happened 7 times since 2016, and 2 of those teams didn't make the playoffs.

Hardline

Reaction score
Unfortunately. He got posterized in "The Catch".

TheCatchDwightClark1980.jpg

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The interesting thing about Walls is he had very ordinary speed, but he had phenomenal instincts and anticipation.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Everson Walls was an exceptional cornerback, but I would state Deion Sanders was the most versatile, explosive playmaker in the secondary in Cowboys history.

Sorry, can't agree - Mel Renfro was, in his day, better.

10 Pro Bowls vs 7 for Deion.
Pro Bowler at safety and cornerback, Deion only at cornerback.
Deion played in every regular season game only 3 times, Renfro 8 times.

Close but at the tape it's Renfro...

quickccc

Reaction score
Deion doesn't count as a Cowboy.

He shouldn't when it comes to the Cowboys Ring of Honor- that should be reserved for 'grass-root " Cowboys that started-originated their careers as Cowboys players,..IMO.
Same as Haley.

But there's no question that when it comes to naming NFL cornerbacks - but like him or not, Deion Sanders is still the name that seems to register first and often,..
Not just flat shutdown man coverage, ..not just the INT numbers, ..but the often way he could lure and ' bait " the QB into thinking the WR is open and
then drive and close fast on the ball for a pick quick INT.

quickccc

Reaction score
I loved Walls. But Downs, Fellows, and Thurman used to aggravate me immensely. The real talent was Walls, the rest were smart players that were opportunists as a direct result of our defensive line pressure. Walls was just a ball hog. The others would often get carved up when Dallas couldn't get pressure.

I loved Walls technique. Down the sideline he'd put his back to the WR while looking back at the QB. Basically pinning and denying any back shoulder pass. Got some picks that way too. I know I'm being a little too rough on the others, they played the position better than the one's we have now.

Dennis Thurman should have been a career FS and would have been a damn good one with his ball hawk skills and hitting ability but Landry Hat Genius simply could not resist placing safeties at CB. :(

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Walls won his first & only Super Bowl when the Giants upset the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXV after the 1990 season. Glad he has ring.