Twitter: Every 20+ yard reception by Blake Jarwin

HellCrowe

Reaction score
True to Daks nature and needs to be cleaned up. Some were on the spot especially in tight coverage and on the out. The others were very underwhelming passes that the Jarwin has to adjust to. Specifically on the out or wide open. Hit them in stride and I guarantee those yac will come.

couldn’t edit. Meant

Specifically on the ”slant” or wide open

Reaction score
Jarwin is a thousand yard TE, if they get him the ball more. He's got more speed than Witt ever had. Even though he's almost as big as Witt, he still has a long ways to go to match Witt's blocking skills. I'm all for starting him & letting him fight through it.

Number1

Reaction score
He does have some skill. I'm perplexed as to why the last coaching staff didn't use him very much. That said, if there's a playmaking TE available at the right spot, I'm not going to let Jarwin stop me from drafting him.

so why should we think Schultz is not up for the task?

I'm far more concerned for our D than our O as we look at the next draft

Oneiros

Reaction score
Jarwin is a thousand yard TE, if they get him the ball more. He's got more speed than Witt ever had. Even though he's almost as big as Witt, he still has a long ways to go to match Witt's blocking skills. I'm all for starting him & letting him fight through it.
Well one positive is that our new TE coach seems to take blocking seriously so if Jarwin can improve even to the point of being an average blocker it would be a significant improvement over the production we got last year.

Also, there seems to be a lot of nice options in the upcoming draft between Kmet, Hopkins, Bryant, Pinkney, Hopkins and others that we should take a look at.

We're in a good position to potentially upgrade this position significantly.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
This is why I don't see TE as a priority.......let this kid start and coach up his blocking skills. Between he and Shultz ( ms?), we're fine IMO.

Sadly this video highlights how poorly Dak throws a ball.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No you're right......in fact, 35-40 passes by the TE position were the most under Mike offense with the Packers.
No. Finley had more than 50 catches 3 times.

But I agree that TE isn't really a priority, in general, for McCarthy.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Eagles do a great job of using 2 TEs as they showed at the end of the year when all their receivers were hurt. But if the Cowboys did that, who would you take off the field? Certainly not Gallup or Cooper. I wouldn;t even take Cobb off the field to play Witten or Schultz.

Having said that, the TE is all about blocking. I was not impressed with the blocking of the Cowboys TEs and WRs last year. Maybe this can be coached better, IDK. But they have Jarwin and Schultz. I think they have a really good group of WRs with Gallup, Cooper and Devin Smith. If they can draft a slot guy with speed and quickness they will be pretty dangerous in the passing game.

I want to see more of Schultz to see what he can do. He comes from Stanford so he must be reasonably smart and able to learn.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No you're right......in fact, 35-40 passes by the TE position were the most under Mike offense with the Packers.
With McCarthy as coach Jermichael Finley had 50-60 receptions several years, and between Danald Lee, Richard Rogers and Jimmy Graham there were other years the Packers top TE had something in the same range.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It’s worth noting that tight ends were invisible in the Packers’ offenses under McCarthy. I bet you can’t even name a single tight end during that run from 2009 to 2016 where they made the playoffs every year.

Instead, he likes a pass catching fullback out of the backfield.

That makes it even less important. I’m on the Blake Jarwin train and heck, yeah I’d give Dez a shot too, why not?
Jared Cook, the TE who destroyed us, says hello.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I like Jarwin ........ But this reminds me of when everyone wanted to start Hambrick over Emmitt.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Jared Cook, the TE who destroyed us, says hello.

Played for the Pack only one year. Caught 30 balls for 377 yards and one touchdown.

Tight ends = invisible, at least in McCarthy’s old offensive scheme.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe, but realistically the percentage of his receptions that go for long gains would drop if he were the TE opposing defenses were focusing on. Look at the clip of all the 20 yard receptions. Several of them it looked as if the defense forgot about him and left him uncovered, which is probably at least somewhat true.

To me Jarwin is kind of a WR/TE hybrid that potentially could be the primary receiving TE, but that would be used along with another role player at TE that is a strong in line blocker but maybe less of a receiver than Jarwin.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Played for the Pack only one year. Caught 30 balls for 377 yards and one touchdown.

Tight ends = invisible, at least in McCarthy’s old offensive scheme.
Finley had 3 seasons of 55+ receptions, and had 8 TDs one year. Graham had 55 receptions in 2018. Richard rogers had 58 in 2015, along with 8 TDs.

Ultimately, while McCarthy offenses haven't traditionally had an elite TE, many years his offenses had much more than the 30-40 catch TE's some are suggesting.

Aven8

Reaction score
This is why I don't see TE as a priority.......let this kid start and coach up his blocking skills. Between he and Shultz ( ms?), we're fine IMO.

I swear if you told me that was Kelce I would have believed you. Every play on that clip he always got another 5 yards after contact.

So embarrassing we rode with Witt last year......

blueblood70

Reaction score

look this narrative gets old, maybe Jarwin has future but he had all the opportunity in the world to grow and get better take the starting role the year Witt retired.. he did not he had great games against NYG like dak..wow HOF bound..lmao.. hes was very averages when counted on the most..

just because a role players does well in spot duty like a 6th or 7 man off the bench hitting 3s and looking great, when you put them on more of a larger role it waters down the numbers..

so all these big plays you see is just that , he got this done in spot duty..giving hum #1 role would simply expose him more then elevate..this happens with players like him and Pollard..

like I said I saw him in 18 and he wasn't great.. Witt did not hold him back this season IMO it just seems like that..

we need to go get a TE1 in FA or Draft because my gut tells me Jarwins a solid 2 but no more..

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Finley had 3 seasons of 55+ receptions, and had 8 TDs one year. Graham had 55 receptions in 2018. Richard rogers had 58 in 2015, along with 8 TDs.

Ultimately, while McCarthy offenses haven't traditionally had an elite TE, many years his offenses had much more than the 30-40 catch TE's some are suggesting.

Finley would be the counter argument but even him, in his best year he was like a normal tight end on another team, 60 receptions and 5 TDs.

I don’t know if McCarthy’s offense doesn’t emphasize tight ends, he lacked the talent, or some have suggested that Rogers doesn’t like to throw to tight ends. I’m anxious to see what he does this year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe, but realistically the percentage of his receptions that go for long gains would drop if he were the TE opposing defenses were focusing on. Look at the clip of all the 20 yard receptions. Several of them it looked as if the defense forgot about him and left him uncovered, which is probably at least somewhat true.

To me Jarwin is kind of a WR/TE hybrid that potentially could be the primary receiving TE, but that would be used along with another roleer at TE that is a strong in line blocker but maybe less of a receiver than Jarwin.

play

LOL.....thought that's why they drafted Shutz (ms).

dckid

Reaction score

Thanks for the post. Only an idiot buffoon head coach/ owner would have started Witten over Jarwin.
Witten was a progress stopper, for the past 5+ years.
Get a fullback to complement the blocking
Don't over react buy Jarwin's build and running style reminded me of Kelce.
He is not an overpowering guy by any means but he is a very talented receiver.