Every game counts for Henson

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
fairviewfarmer said:
I too think it looks like he's went downhill in the time he's been at Dallas.
Its looking more and more like he'll never be the answer at QB for the Boys.
I wish he was.

Yeah...I'm getting some sneakingly lousy feelings about this. Quite honestly, I have no idea what happened.

He actually looked good in his first preseason. And vs the Ravens. Now, people say the Ravens mailed it in. In fact, they didn't. They blitzed him. AND he looked fine. He looked instinctive and relaxed.

Now, he looks programmed, robotic almost.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
I agree 100% and I think the problem is that BP's headgames, probably due to perceived pressure from JJ, have ruined him. He may not be salvageable at this point - not in Dallas anyways. I actually feel pretty bad for the kid because he didn't bring this on himself.

If he doesn't show signs of turning things around, I would not be opposed to trading or cutting him and signing another developmental QB in the draft. That may be the best plan for all parties at this stage because I do not believe he will reach his potential playing here.

I suppose that's possible.

I think the Thanksgiving game really put a whuppin on his psyche. BUT there's something to be said for toughing it out.

I'm not sure if he's SO fixated on not making mistakes that it's cost him in his performance.

I only know, this isn't the same guy I saw in college of in his first preseason with the Cowboys.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I don't think it will be this year that we draft a QB but next year and it will be the guy from Notre Dame

That would be a dream come true, but more a dream than naything. There is no way we will be in position to draft him, and we would have to trade our next two drafts to move up to get him.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'm chiming in a little late, had a busy weekend...

Anyhow, I TiVoed the game and have watched most of it. Overall it was dissapointing as a Henson fan. With the amount of running plays, there was no doubt intention not to do a lot of passing this game. Some plays I thought he looked uncomfortable/unnatural, but then others I felt he looked comfortable. It was hard to get a read, and there's no way he could have gotten into a passing rhythm with the little they passed. But he does look anxious when he does get to pass. Like he wants so bad to make a big play, as opposed to letting things come to him and taking advantage of what the defense gives him. Though you can't expect their offense to be in sync at this stage yet.

I think it's premature to make any decisiions on the 1st game...it's about how he progresses up until the last game. When if he improves a little in each game? This is his chance.

I've always been about the QB position and bringing in young guys, even when you have someone already, as it takes a lot of tries before you find good ones. So, I'm not giving up on Henson (or Romo) yet, but I'm for drafting a guy like Whitehurst in round 3 or 4 (if we can get a 4th). Though I think someone takes him in the late 3rd round.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
I don't think it will be this year that we draft a QB but next year and it will be the guy from Notre Dame

I think we will definitely draft a QB this year (draft or sign an undrafted QB like Romo) regardless of how Henson does. Last year we went to training camp with only 3 qb's and most teams will have atleast 4. Parcell's decided to give more reps to Romo/Henson and didn't want to bring a 4th QB. With Henson coming back from a full season in Europe, we can't except Bledsoe/Romo/Henson to share the load for the full training camp again this year.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I TiVo'd the game and it was hard to get a read on where Henson is at. The field was terrible and Rhein ran the ball 2 out of 3 times every series. Plus, Timmy Chang played the entire second quarter.

The positives:
He made three really nice throws. A deep in for 20 yards that was a bullet and very tight spiral. A 3rd down throw to his running back on a short crossing route under heavy pressure. And a quick hitter to his te that picked up a first down late in the game.

the negatives:
His first pass was tipped and nearly picked off.
His last throw was another deep in that should have been picked.
Other than the pass for 20 yards mentioned above, he seemed to lock on to receivers and always threw to his first read( at least that's what it appeared to me but I'm no expert).
I hope Henson is the answer, but to be honest and it's only one game, he doesn't look remotely like the guy I watched play at Michigan or even the first preseason game of his career at Houston or the qb that looked decent against the Ravens. He just looks shaky and doesn't look like a big time qb. jmo.