Every good front office should have a clear plan in advance of every season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep -- they're not proactive, obviously. We all knew that, but it'd sure be comforting if they had something concrete to share w/us!:thumbup:
As much as I hate to say it, it really seems somewhat likely that they aren't nearly certain themselves as to what the heck to do . . .:omg:
This is apparently what you can do when you have lifetime contracts with no accountability for results. Whole seasons, whole careers of Hall of Fame players are wasted while these guys play with their toy. “Maybe we have a plan, maybe we don’t. Either way we are printing money.”

I would respect them even a little bit if they had a clear plan and stuck to it. I challenge anyone to describe a clear and coherent plan that these guys have in place this off-season. If the plan is “Let’s see what happens and then make a plan“, that’s not a plan.

They are playing fantasy football….because they can. The other teams in this league have people accountable for getting results who are running their front office. They either build a good roster and win some playoff games within a reasonable time frame or they are replaced. We have an 81 year old and his #1 offspring with a sparse 28 year playoff resume running this until death do us part.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
We have an 81 year old and his #1 offspring with a sparse 28 year playoff resume running this until death do us part.
This is why I am a Cowboys Grouch. I didn't make me this way, the FO did, because I can't take them seriously. I know that they are both incompetent and untouchable. And I can't change teams due to the Sunk Cost Fallacy. I've come too far with the Cowboys, and I cannot simply switch teams and put my heart behind another team like I did with the Cowboys long before anyone had heard of Jerry Jones.

Therefor, I'm grouchy about nearly anything Cowboys because there is no trust that they are serious about building a champion. If I want it more than the people in charge then there is a huge problem.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be the plan was to not do much of anything. Ride out the year with the current coaches and players and situation. Then go from there for 2025.
Make the moves necessary without over doing it. Draft well for this year and the future. As they did last year.
I would consider that throwing a season away. If you aren’t sure if these coaches and key players who are up for contracts are worth it or not, it’s poor management. If after 8 years with Dak as your starter you are just going to wait and see what this year brings, you wasted a year. If you aren’t sure if Cedee and Micah are worth it, trade them.

If you’re not sure Big Mac is the right coach, they should have already fired him. If they think highly of him despite his poor playoff results they should extend him.

Rule of NFL management: BEING INDECISIVE IS LOSING.
Hint: No other team does this because their GM would get fired for it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is apparently what you can do when you have lifetime contracts with no accountability for results. Whole seasons, whole careers of Hall of Fame players are wasted while these guys play with their toy. “Maybe we have a plan, maybe we don’t. Either way we are printing money.”

I would respect them even a little bit if they had a clear plan and stuck to it. I challenge anyone to describe a clear and coherent plan that these guys have in place this off-season. If the plan is “Let’s see what happens and then make a plan“, that’s not a plan.

They are playing fantasy football….because they can. The other teams in this league have people accountable for getting results who are running their front office. They either build a good roster and win some playoff games within a reasonable time frame or they are replaced. We have an 81 year old and his #1 offspring with a sparse 28 year playoff resume running this until death do us part.
Basically we operate year to year with no long term plan. It all goes back to public perception .

Jethro can only sell and hype one season at a time.

And he often doesn’t see issues or weaknesses until they’re exposed so unable to be more proactive .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why I am a Cowboys Grouch. I didn't make me this way, the FO did, because I can't take them seriously. I know that they are both incompetent and untouchable. And I can't change teams due to the Sunk Cost Fallacy. I've come too far with the Cowboys, and I cannot simply switch teams and put my heart behind another team like I did with the Cowboys long before anyone had heard of Jerry Jones.

Therefor, I'm grouchy about nearly anything Cowboys because there is no trust that they are serious about building a champion. If I want it more than the people in charge then there is a huge problem.
They want it. Just not enough to get out of the way.

But this has been going on for 3 decades. Shouldn’t be breaking news.

Remember our owner parted ways with our only back to back championship HC cause he wasn’t the face of the franchise receiving more credit. That’s when we knew winning wasn’t the priority.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don’t know anyone who does that. Do you? Who?
I’m curious what you offer as far as what you think our FO and franchise could do better ?

Haven’t seen any of your rebuttal arguments . Just attempts to discredit others .

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m curious what you offer as far as what you think our FO and franchise could do better ?

Haven’t seen any of your rebuttal arguments . Just attempts to discredit others .
What can they do better? How many times do I have to hit you in the head with this? I’ve stated many times over what they need to do. You’re just a hater trying to disguise yourself. Ain’t happening bro.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What can they do better? How many times do I have to hit you in the head with this? I’ve stated many times over what they need to do. You’re just a hater trying to disguise yourself. Ain’t happening bro.
All I see is calling out fans with criticism. Let me guess… anyone with criticism is a hater. Lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
In the NFL, waiting to sign players you know you will eventually sign to a new contract is crazy. Prices for players you want (and other teams would want too) will not go down unless an unforeseen major injury or serious crime occurs. Waiting is expensive. Time is literally money.

Heres my big point: Every good front office should have a plan in advance of every season, knowing exactly which players are in their plans and which ones are not. Jerry is famous for saying he’s “comfortable with ambiguity“, which is great for an entrepreneurial business, but bad for running a pro football team.
Does the Jones front office even know what they want? This idea of “waiting to see what happens” before deciding whether or not to sign guys for the future is bad planning. As the old saying goes, “Those who fail to plan are planning to fail.”

Here‘s some examples of planning and decisions this FO should have made by now:
  • Do you want Cedee Lamb to be a Cowboy in the next 4-5 years? If the answer is yes, sign him now. If not trade him. We know exactly what his market value is. He will get either exactly what Jefferson got or more. NOT LESS. It’s not complicated. Stephen Jones will not win some negotiation war in this. Period. Want Lamb or not?
  • Is Dak in this team’s future plans or not? If not trade him. (Yes I know the no trade clause is there but if Dak knows he’s not in their future he WILL accept a trade and make a ton of money elsewhere) This team has 8 years of evidence of what Dak is and isn’t. Make a freaking decision. If he is in the team’s plans, extending him actually gives them cap maneuverability. If he’s not in their plans, move on and start planning for the next franchise QB. Truth is they don’t know how to do this.
  • You want Parsons in the future? He would be a lot cheaper to extend now than in a year or two.
What the Jones boys are doing this off-season is just stupid. You either have a clear plan or not. If these guys knew what they were doing, we would have had a very different off-season.
They do. We just don't have one.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m sorry, but how many Super Bowl trophies have you won? Jerry singlehandedly built a dynasty in spite of Jimmy Johnson. Jerry is a HOF GM so pls show a little more respect to the fuhrer. You will see that Jerry the GM is an elite GM but he’s just had a few bad breaks in the playoffs.
In spite of a Jimmy Johnson? I think we need to start the dumbest quote of the day.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Just because you do not like what they are or are not doing does not mean they do not have plan and does not mean the outcome will be negative.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Do I Look Like A Guy With A Plan?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just because you do not like what they are or are not doing does not mean they do not have plan and does not mean the outcome will be negative.
No, but based on recent history and results it does present fans to be suspect and even cynical.