Everyone down on Taco

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe they can get something, not what they want. Teams maybe waiting on him to be released. With Quinn coming back. A move have to be made.

If they're willing to wait on him being released, they're not willing to give up anything, right? But I agree with you on the fact that with Quinn returning something will have to be done.

What a huge miss and failure if this team ends up releasing a first round pick after just two years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone else agreed too.

Even the great Will McClay.

I don't know about that. McClay and his scouts made their choice, and it was TJ Watt. But Methuselah and the coaches were able to overrule them.

Edit:

In doing some more research, it appears that I was wrong and that McClay WAS on the Taco train. I believe the scouts had Watt ranked higher, but the organization mistakenly felt Watt was too much of a projection for defensive end.

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I strongly doubt it at this point. If he is inactive every game even with Quinn suspended, what is the difference?

If they have a trade locked up they wouldn't want to get him hurt.

I don't know about that. McClay and his scouts made their choice, and it was TJ Watt. But Methuselah and the coaches were able to overrule them.

I didn't know McClay wanted TJ Watt.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
How should people view a 1st round pick who can't even make the active roster on Sunday?

It depends on the reason. I would submit that Taco outplayed Joe Jackson in preseason. So there must be some other reason we don't know about that Jackson is playing ahead of Charlton.

We can speculate on that. Even if you consider him a "bust" for Dallas, if the Cowboys are simply holding him out to preserve his trade value, then the Cowboys at least believe he has trade value. They aren't taking low bids on him just to get rid of him. It makes no sense to bad mouth Charlton when you want tot get the best value you can get in trade.

Also, Lawrence had bot yet had a breakout season when Charlton was drafted. Without that breakout season, Lawrence would already be gone, and Charlton would be the starting LDE. Everyone would be talking about what a bust Lawrence was.

So it was a pick-your-bust choice for the Cowboys. They decided to stick with Lawrence and let Charlton be the bust. It would be in Charlton"s best interest to be traded to a team which will allow him an opportunity to be a starting LDE, something he's not going to get in Dallas with Lawrence being given a new contract.

As I've said from the beginning, Charlton never had the skill set to be a RDE. Never. So getting the most they can for Charlton by trading for another player seems like the best case scenario to me. I don't care if Charlton has a good career somewhere else.

Dre11

Reaction score
If they're willing to wait on him being released, they're not willing to give up anything, right? But I agree with you on the fact that with Quinn returning something will have to be done.

What a huge miss and failure if this team ends up releasing a first round pick after just two years.

In theory yes, but they can also lowball because they have a feeling he'd be released any way. Team might've offered a 6th or 7th, they may want a 4th or 5th

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In theory yes, but they can also lowball because they have a feeling he'd be released any way. Team might've offered a 6th or 7th, they may want a 4th or 5th

And if released, he's subject to waivers and they wouldn't get him. That's how little the league thinks of Taco.

Epic failure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just makes people feel better to pretend there is a market for him and that the sly ownership is holding him out purposefully to get a better value for him. Nobody wants to face the brutal reality.

It's pathetic isn't it? How some fans can handle only the good news but never anything critical? If you're talking up 'their Cowboys', they're all aboard, but say anything critical and they lose their minds and start attacking you. I can only imagine how those same people deal with the ups and downs of real life.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If someone offers the Jones boys a 6th they better take it and be happy, because no team is using a 4th for Taco. That GM will be fired as soon as they tell the owner what they just did.

Dre11

Reaction score
And if released, he's subject to waivers and they wouldn't get him. That's how little the league thinks of Taco.

Epic failure.

It could be. Still doesn't mean they didn't get any offers.