Everyone has it wrong about Garrett

cern

Reaction score
the mere fact we're having this polarizing conversation regarding garrett clearly suggests he's not that good. people didn't argue whether or not landry was a good coach. or jimmy. just fandom at it's fanatical best.

Reaction score
It's no secret I dislike Garrett as HC. I would have canned him years ago.

I would be fine however if Jerry kicked him upstairs into a cushy management position where he has some say in roster development. I will give him a tiny bit of credit for that. Jerry can then hire a real HC. Which I know is a problem because Jerry wants all the credit.

Garrett's replacement may very well be Richard or even Kellen Moore if he's keeps this offense rolling all year. Guys like Sean Payton and Lincoln Riley are pipe dreams, IMO.

As for this year, Garrett needs to do 2 things:

1. Keep his hands off the offense
2. Keep his hands off the defense.

Angus12

Reaction score
I’ll just take this opportunity to remind you all that not everybody was wrong about Garrett. And to say that I do love reading the complex chains of rationalization about how this team somehow got to be good DESPITE its head coach and chief architect being, to paraphrase, terrible somehow.
:laugh:

Now THAT'S a good one.

cern

Reaction score
I do not think garrett is a favorite of Stephen. I see his tenure here coming to an end after this season, win or lose. I see bigger decisions having to be made regarding Kris Richard and kellen moore and what it might take to keep them here. I see a promotion in their futures. I see a press conference with the jones' and garrett saying they felt it was in the best interests of the team that he move on. hope i'm right. I could be wrong.

JMech

Reaction score
It's no secret I dislike Garrett as HC. I would have canned him years ago.

I would be fine however if Jerry kicked him upstairs into a cushy management position where he has some say in roster development. I will give him a tiny bit of credit for that. Jerry can then hire a real HC. Which I know is a problem because Jerry wants all the credit.

Garrett's replacement may very well be Richard or even Kellen Moore if he's keeps this offense rolling all year. Guys like Sean Payton and Lincoln Riley are pipe dreams, IMO.

What role has he had in roster development? I give this guy no CREDIT for anything. He has failed at every level. OC, HC with OC responsibilities, HC, etc. etc. We need to give some credit to the folks running our draft now as they are bringing in more talent than we have had in years. The RHG has had nothing to do with that.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

Yep, agree....just clap and manage the clock, and the player's emotions and psyches. That's it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I give Garrett credit where credit is due, and blame where blame is due. Some of his game management decisions have obviously caused or greatly contributed to some losses.

But a head coach has many responsibilities, not all have to do with the x's and o's, some aren't visible to the fans or the media. We're not in meetings with Jerry, with Marinelli, with McClay, etc.

Do I think Garrett's anywhere near Landry's level? No.

But as well I find it to be ludicrous that Garrett could be a "terrible" coach, or a "puppet" and yet the team still has some success at least. My view is that a better coach could probably have won more playoff games, maybe even a SB, but if he is so bad, the team would be another Cleveland Browns or such.

He's an average coach, the history of the NFL is full of really "terrible" coaches like Rich Kotite, Marion Campbell, David Shula and many others. You look at those coaches, and they have records like 41-57. Garrett's is 78-59. Those "terrible" coaches noted had talent on their teams, with thousands of college players and a less than 2,000 NFL players, obviously the league has talent, no team can have more than 53 players, the talent is well spread out.

Would I like a new, better head coach? Oh yes, but as well I have to count my blessings we didn't have a Kotite, or Campbell, or Shula.

I've said before Garrett's time is NOW, he has to "put up or shut up".

But I also don't classify coaches as either "terrible" or "fantastic", there's a middle ground, that's my biggest problem with some of the posters here, it's all or nothing judgments, either coaches or players, and that's just not realistic....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh:

Now THAT'S a good one.

Right? It's more fun to believe it's all happened coincidentally, and magically, in a vacuum. The lightbulb just turned on for Jerry and Stephen, 21 years into running this thing. Put that together with Richard and Boy Wonder and you have a team that ought to win a Superbowl despite Garrett--who does nothing--and/or a team that parts ways with Garrett entirely if it does not, because it's obviously completely all his fault.

The logic hangs together so nicely, it's hard to pick it apart.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Garrett has some strengths as a coach for sure. I do want to see how well he makes halftime adjustments in tough games. That's where he has not done well. Let's see what happens this season.

How can he be making halftime adjustments when he has nothing to do with either the offense or defense? Here’s the extent of his halftime input. “Hey Kellen, maybe we should run more in the 2nd half” or “Rod, how about we find a way to get more pressure on the QB this half. Can you see to that.”

Tractor1

Reaction score
the mere fact we're having this polarizing conversation regarding garrett clearly suggests he's not that good. people didn't argue whether or not landry was a good coach. or jimmy. just fandom at it's fanatical best.

You're either too young to remember, or have just forgotten. Landry's coaching ability was constantly questioned early in his tenure, and after a 1-15 season Johnson's was too.

Angus12

Reaction score
Right? It's more fun to believe it's all happened coincidentally, and magically, in a vacuum. The lightbulb just turned on for Jerry and Stephen, 21 years into running this thing. Put that together with Richard and Boy Wonder and you have a team that ought to win a Superbowl despite Garrett--who does nothing--and/or a team that parts ways with Garrett entirely if it does not, because it's obviously completely all his fault.

The logic hangs together so nicely, it's hard to pick it apart.
Not at all hard to pick apart. Noticed you left Will McClay out of your little homeristic spin job.

How convenient.

If you want to say he was part of building the team, fine. That's easily acceptable. But CHIEF ARCHITECT? Come on, now.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all hard to pick apart. Noticed you left Will McClay out of your little homeristic spin job.

How convenient.

It’s not homeristic, what are you talking about? The record has been the record. We’re talking about why the record has been good.

And McClay was here before Garrett was elevated. He’s been promoted twice during that time. Those facts probably correlate.

Fire407

Reaction score
You're either too young to remember, or have just forgotten. Landry's coaching ability was constantly questioned early in his tenure, and after a 1-15 season Johnson's was too.
But I'm pretty sure that those guys got multiple Super Bowl wins.

Tommy

Reaction score
I do not think garrett is a favorite of Stephen. I see his tenure here coming to an end after this season, win or lose. I see bigger decisions having to be made regarding Kris Richard and kellen moore and what it might take to keep them here. I see a promotion in their futures. I see a press conference with the jones' and garrett saying they felt it was in the best interests of the team that he move on. hope i'm right. I could be wrong.
Are these hunches of yours based off of anything?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
<garett has had almost all duties stripped, what the heck is he even doing in the sidelines ??

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Romo wanted and needed
a left tackle to protect his blindside, so they got smith for that. It was planned.
Frederick was on their board they needed a better center, they had so many bad snaps, so he was still there when they picked at the bottom of round,
and they had him in for visit and really liked him, so they jumped on it and took him.
Then everyone thought the giants would take martin , their pick was before the cowboys, who had another player picked, who I dont think was a lineman.
Then giants didnt pick him, and cowboys had him rated high, so again they jumped on it and took the highest rated player.
After that they didnt pick another rd one lineman. They didnt plan it , it just worked out that way.

And the jones boys did the drafting before McClay, so give them the credit over JG, who had a say but that is all.
Right now and this is my opinion, it is Jerry his boy, McClay, and JG that all do the draft as a team and that order is in relation to how much say they have, and they give marinelli say on DL and they may all listen
to scouts and other coaches, so it isnt any one person that is drafting for the cowboys, and the Jones boys still make the picks, either who they want, or
if others want them they still have to approve all picks.

Revisionist history about things you have no way of knowing.

Fact is that they picked 3 OL in 4 years after not selecting a first round OL for the entirety of the Joneses being here. McClay wasn't here and the only significant change in leadership was Garrett taking over as HC.

During that time Garrett would repeat ad nauseum that he wanted the team built from the trenches out.

It is what it is.

And since then they have spent significant resources on the position. They acquired and extended LC. Paid top 100 picks on Williams, McGovern, and Green.

You want to pretend it's all coincidence? I guess you can lead a horse to water. . .

8FOR!3

Reaction score
When Garrett took over in 2010 as the head coach he inherited a listless 1-7 team lacking talent. He followed that with 3 8-8 seasons with teams again lacking in talent and unable to do much about it because of salary cap issues. Everyone seems to blame him for the lack of a Super Bowl but in fact he’s the one who turned this organization around. Jones put a lot of faith in Garrett because of his pedigree and intelligence. He had a plan and a vision on how to build a football team. He first focused on getting the right kind of players. I promise you he wanted nothing to do with Greg Hardy. Secondly he focused on building the team from the trenches out which is something you can’t do in one year with the salary cap issues he inherited. He stuck to his guns and build a solid team improving it every year. There were some bumps along the way with time management but you haven’t seen those in recent years. You can nick pick a time here or there but they can be argued both ways. He still needs to prove it in the playoffs but its obvious he’s put together a young team, built from the trenches out and wins. Let’s see what happens this year.

I completely agree, I also think we needed to get a good OC calling plays and Kellen is that guy. I think the defense is a work in progress, might need a different coordinator there too. Garrett has done his job well.