Everyone is Saying TE at 26, I Think It's LB

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Jack Campbell is that dude. Uber athlete and highly productive. He is LB1 in this class easily.

There's a lot I like about Drew Sanders, but a lot of his evaluation was banking on him being an awesome athlete, and I'd like to have some testing numbers to confirm that. His instincts in coverage still make me think he's a starting-caliber LB, but as of now he looks more like a 2nd round guy than a 1st round guy.

I don't like Simpson at all. How many LBs with a 4.4 40 and bad instincts need to fail before we figure it out. Kenneth Murray is a 1st round bust, Devin Bush is a 1st round bust. Devin White is a good blitzer but a mediocre LB. I'm not closing the door on Isiah Simmons, but he hasn't had a top 10 type of career so far.

I might gamble on Simpson at #58, but I wouldn't feel great about it. Simpson at #26 would be a break-the-TV pick.

Last edited:

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Sanders is the only LB I would be ok with taking in round 1. Productive and really just scratching the surface on how good he can be.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I don’t think 26 will be an off-ball LB. There just isn’t one worth it there.

If I absolutely had to take one there, it would be Jack Campbell, who really is a good player. His instincts and toughness are top notch. I think he is a 2nd round pick though. But he is who I would choose to lead my defense if I had to pick one.

Simpson is Uber athletic but his instincts seem to be pretty far off. He’s got all the physical talent you could want but he’s just not a great football player, at this point. He might grow into it though. Maybe a second or third round guy right now, IMO.

cowboyec

Reaction score
michael meyer,te-notre dame
drew sanders,lb-arkansas

love'm both.
be happy with either.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don’t think 26 will be an off-ball LB. There just isn’t one worth it there.

If I absolutely had to take one there, it would be Jack Campbell, who really is a good player. His instincts and toughness are top notch. I think he is a 2nd round pick though. But he is who I would choose to lead my defense if I had to pick one.

Simpson is Uber athletic but his instincts seem to be pretty far off. He’s got all the physical talent you could want but he’s just not a great football player, at this point. He might grow into it though. Maybe a second or third round guy right now, IMO.
With Simpson it's traits. Dude is off the charts athletically. And he may get some time to get up to speed.

If we're going for a 3-4ish OLB, it's Felix Anudike-Uzomah for me..

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I
I'm pretty sure this makes sense too.

Linebacker is the pick in round 1.

Why?

It makes more sense, and you can add a player at a position of need that can possibly impact games in year 1 if he's talented enough. And there are guys like that in this draft right now, who can be had in round 1.

The more I think about it, the more I think Trenton Simpson will likely be in the mix for the Cowboys. He gives you a high RAS player that gives you advantage over the Eagles and 9ers if you coach him up right. Plus, it gives you an athlete to team up with Parsons and LVE, which just makes too much sense if you ask me.

Another guy who I can see filling this role, and being able to start year 1 along with, rather than "behind," some guys is Felix Anudike-Uzomah. You can play him at edge and sort of in a LB in the edge/LB role that Parsons plays in the nickel.

In other words, both of these players would give you another linebacker/edge type that would allow you to be more versatile with what you do with Parsons, and you don't risk a whole lot because they're scheme fits with their floor, at least, and both players have higher ceilings without too much risk for reward.

After that, you can still likely land a really solid, possibly even HOF level TE in round 2.

This draft has some beasts as far as TEs go, all the way down to Whyle, Gindorff, Kuntz, the Penn State and Miami kid and just all of those guys...

Crazy year for TEs, which is why I think LB makes more sense in round 1.

I think it's deep enough that you could take your corner in round 2, and then draft your TE in round 3.. Go back to the trenches after that.

I think you're cutting Clark and Harper short, and then there's Cox. I think Clark is going to shine this yr. Healthy and he has a half season of exp. Where last yr he was thrown in the fire, and while he had some struggles he now knows the game. The speed and what worked and what didn't. Things players learn during tc that he didn't have. Then there's Harper, who was showing alot before he got hurt. Ge should be ready.

I'd like Dallas to go after a player like Overshown. He is probably the the best blitzing Lber in this draft. Why Texas refused to blitz him more is crazy. And he can cover.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I am still torn on LB. I think a great MLB that can stack and shed, and cover, and is a playmaker like Parsons......would put this D over the top. As long as they get a couple big 1T up front.

I just don't know which one of these guys: Nolan Smith, Drew Sanders, Andre Carter, Jack Campbell, Simpson, etc. All seem to have potential, but all seem to have issues as well.
Where is the next Ray Lewis when you need him?

If they have done their homework, and there is a LB that can fit that bill......
Give me LB in 1. RB in 2 and OL in three. QB in 4.
That means they have to sign Hankins and one other DT in FA.