Ex Cowboy Randy Gregory carted to the locker room after apparent knee injury

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you on most things but Gregory may be the exception. He didn't just slide out of the first round for smoking weed, he kept doing it and kept getting suspended again and again and again and all this was before he really proved himself to be anything. Heck his best season last year had him getting 6 sacks. So its not like he has been some stud player at this level who gets in trouble and teams give him more chances. We really did protect him and keep him around while he produced nothing and never really has.

We kept him because he was cheap, not because management was oh so benevolent and loved him so much. They knew he was a 1st Round talent and wanted to see if they could get a return on that eventually. As long as he wasn't being disruptive in the locker room many other teams would have done the same thing on a player they think they got cheap and still retained the rights to. Why watch him get well somewhere else and have another team like a division rival reap the benefits? They were protecting themselves, not Gregory. Gregory did the same when it came time. Business, not personal. That's left to the fans.

Toro9

Reaction score
The injury will just let him get back to his true love.
Well... I indulge as well from time to time and it's never my true love but it does let me open my heart. Good for pain too.

I do think Randy's decision to go to Denver was... Partially about being able to manage some pain.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Well... I indulge as well from time to time and it's never my true love but it does let me open my heart. Good for pain too.

I do think Randy's decision to go to Denver was... Partially about being able to manage some pain.
Well, you have your reasons and he has his. I'm just really glad that him and his reasons are no longer Cowboys. Jerry gave him the benefit of the doubt a lot longer than he should've.

rags747

Reaction score
And he wouldn't have gotten a job someplace else as a former 1st Round talent? We AND Seattle gave Aldon Smith chances. So to act like we were his only hope is just a convenient opinion people like to use to hold over his head.
2nd round

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dude is a piece of crap and he's also an injury prone player. He'll be out of the league soon.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Why is he a piece of crap?

Not even sure why this needs explained - he's someone who far more chances that he deserved from the Jones' family, had their support since 2015 - and then he spit in their face over a small detail in a contract. You know, a contract being given to a player who has never had more than 6 sacks in a season, off the field issues, and an injury history. He's an ungrateful punk.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not even sure why this needs explained - he's someone who far more chances that he deserved from the Jones' family, had their support since 2015 - and then he spit in their face over a small detail in a contract. You know, a contract being given to a player who has never had more than 6 sacks in a season, off the field issues, and an injury history. He's an ungrateful punk.
You ever had sex with someone but didn't marry them? Are you an ungrateful punk for not marring them?

Is it OK to press gang someone into being loyal?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’ve seen bad divorces that were more amicable than Cowboys fans jaded about Gregory not re-signing.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You ever had sex with someone but didn't marry them? Are you an ungrateful punk for not marring them?

Is it OK to press gang someone into being loyal?

I never suggested Gregory HAD to stay here - that isn't the point. It's how he responded TO the contract he was offered and the details in it. Again, this shouldn't need to be explained...but apparently users on here need it drawn out.

If he simply chose to go elsewhere, that's fine. The reason BEHIND WHY he chose to go elsewhere is why he's an ungrateful punk. Here is what a decent person does: If you get offered a contract by the very people that supported you and helped you along in the first stage of your career, you politely say "No thanks. I'm in need of a change of scenery" and then you shake their hand and move along. You don't spit in their face because of a small detail in a contract, one that is a legitimate concern.

But whatever, dude is about done in the league anyways. He's not great when playing and his availability is low.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I’ve seen bad divorces that were more amicable than Cowboys fans jaded about Gregory not re-signing.

Nobody gives a crap if Mr. 18 sacks in his career re-signed or not. It's how he responded and what he said that bothers people.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I never suggested Gregory HAD to stay here - that isn't the point. It's how he responded TO the contract he was offered and the details in it. Again, this shouldn't need to be explained...but apparently users on here need it drawn out.

If he simply chose to go elsewhere, that's fine. The reason BEHIND WHY he chose to go elsewhere is why he's an ungrateful punk. Here is what a decent person does: If you get offered a contract by the very people that supported you and helped you along in the first stage of your career, you politely say "No thanks. I'm in need of a change of scenery" and then you shake their hand and move along. You don't spit in their face because of a small detail in a contract, one that is a legitimate concern.

But whatever, dude is about done in the league anyways. He's not great when playing and his availability is low.
Okay, I take it you never walked off a job.
And I bet you could walk on water if you tried, right?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Okay, I take it you never walked off a job.
And I bet you could walk on water if you tried, right?

Yeah dude, it's comparable to leaving a freakin' job with CEO soul suckers than a multi-million dollar job where the very owner himself was invested in seeing you get better and improve as a person DESPITE you screwing up multiple times. (A flaw bleeding heart Jerry has had for 2 decades now)

How many more times can you miss the point before you admit you might not be bright?

Toro9

Reaction score
Well, you have your reasons and he has his. I'm just really glad that him and his reasons are no longer Cowboys. Jerry gave him the benefit of the doubt a lot longer than he should've.
Yeah, if I was a millionaire I could quit.
I had the same thought though.. cowboys kept his career alive and then he runs off for the same deal . I hear ya

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yeah dude, it's comparable to leaving a freakin' job with CEO soul suckers than a multi-million dollar job where the very owner himself was invested in seeing you get better and improve as a person DESPITE you screwing up multiple times. (A flaw bleeding heart Jerry has had for 2 decades now)

How many more times can you miss the point before you admit you might not be bright?
Opinions vary. It's not about being bright or smart. Players leave, that's what they do. It's a business, there's no room for personal feelings in the business world.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Opinions vary. It's not about being bright or smart. Players leave, that's what they do. It's a business, there's no room for personal feelings in the business world.

The reason for Gregory leaving WAS personal. What aren't you getting that is being criticized here?

If Gregory simply left because he felt the other was a better deal money wise. Whatever, go for it. He was WILLING to sign with us until a small detail in the contract that is in nearly every single Cowboys players contract and him getting in his own feelings about it DESPITE both Jerry and Stephen being on his side since 2015. I can't think of another team that would have dealt with Gregory's crap as long as Jerry did.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats a shame. He had 2 sacks and was in the PFF top 10 at DE. Seemed on the cusp of finally realizing his potential.