Twitter: Ex Cowboys Garret Gilbert to sign with Patriots

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
who truly give flying_______________________@#$%^&*()!?!!

seriously the gap between all these below average qb isn't much..if we end up needing one..well season most likely over.
NFL history is littered with examples of backup qb's saving the day for a game, a stretch of games or even the remainder of a season, some of them winning super bowls.
Your emotional and curse-laden dismissiveness of such a reality suggests you may not have keen insight into the game......and also that you have a potty mouth :)

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There's at least a bit more of an unknown potential upside with him.

Oh that makes me feel better, a guy with "unknown potential" as a backup vs. an already known so-so player.

If you think that's a great improvement, no problem, but to me that's nothing but roster churning...

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damn, why couldn't they take Ben also. Ughhh because this franchise loves them some Ben.
MM's pet cat. I thought the guy might show something, especially after his collegiate numbers for the JMU Dukes. But the level of competition in the Colonial Atheletic Association as an FCS is not all that good.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He's 61-72 without Brady at QB so it's not like he was exactly lighting it up before Brady fell into his lap. Remember, Brady only got in the game when Bledsoe got hurt. It's not like he was pulled for Brady. Genius.

The season Brady missed with a torn ACL (2008) he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. The 2015 Cowboys went 1-6 with Cassel.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The season Brady missed with a torn ACL (2008) he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. The 2015 Cowboys went 1-6 with Cassel.
He must have been a plant:
Belichick: Okay, Cassel. We paid you handsomely. Work your magic for the Cowboys. **Wink wink, nudge, nudge.**
Cassell: Right, boss.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Oh that makes me feel better, a guy with "unknown potential" as a backup vs. an already known so-so player.

If you think that's a great improvement, no problem, but to me that's nothing but roster churning...
The original point was this.....if Dak goes down early again this year, it's possible Grier comes in and plays well and becomes an asset one way or another.

If the same happened with Rush, the best we would end up with is, well.....Rush. Same for Gilbert.

If you wanted a vastly experienced backup you weren't getting it either way.

blueblood70

Reaction score
NFL history is littered with examples of backup qb's saving the day for a game, a stretch of games or even the remainder of a season, some of them winning super bowls.
Your emotional and curse-laden dismissiveness of such a reality suggests you may not have keen insight into the game......and also that you have a potty mouth :)

i know for FACT those are anomaly's vs the norm..

so give up your futile attempt to convince how many backups are available most years that will save a season..

very very few..most are down in the bottom 16 starters where there's not much of a gap at all..when you talk top 10 qb and even higher top 5 the gap is huge and the drop-off will be much greater because teams are counting on that players skillset more then the lower end teams.

there aren't 32 quality starters out there so now you will try and drop knowledge on me that with about 100 qb positions in the nfl. we cant have 32 quality starters, not true, and then 32 quality backups, and then 30 ps qbs all great not miss beat ..LMAO

you knowledge is clouded because you saw 10 examples the last 25years when there are 100s more that say when you lose your starting qb the season is close to over especially like last year when you also lose a high % of starters around them ie Dalton..Dalton didnt save our season because it was NOT possible as in most cases..

SF when not having their starting qb has ben terrible team shannahan in fact has losing record all but the sb year, why he lost his starters qb first and foremost..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you think Nooch is?
Nooch is only in his second season in the NFL and I think Gilbert is in his 8th maybe, and has been on and off practice squads numerous times.

Another poster mentioned there are special Covid rules with the practice squad this year. I remember that being the case last year, so it's probably true again this year. That might make Gilbert eligible.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man I have noticed people have started to slander Bill. Man I’m shocked a Cowboy fan doesn’t see the importance of a Bill when we have seen our coaching for the past 20 years…..
Well some people on here still criticize Jimmy Johnson after all he did for the Boys, because he didnt win a championship in Miami ....go figure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nooch is only in his second season in the NFL and I think Gilbert is in his 8th maybe, and has been on and off practice squads numerous times.

Another poster mentioned there are special Covid rules with the practice squad this year. I remember that being the case last year, so it's probably true again this year. That might make Gilbert eligible.
Yes, rules carried over to 2021.

How many players are allowed on the practice squad?
16 as of 2020. The previous number used to be 10.

Who is eligible to be signed to the practice squad?
In short, anybody. Doesn’t matter if you’re a rookie or a 10-year veteran. You can be signed to the practice squad.

• Up to six practice squad spots can be used on players with unlimited experience in the NFL
  • The remaining spots are filled with players having less than two accrued seasons

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
if Dak goes down early again this year, it's possible Grier comes in and plays well and becomes an asset one way or another.

Isn't Rush the no. 2 quarterback? Grier won't come in if Dak goes down, it will be Rush. And if Rush falters, well Grier would of course come in. But I doubt they will pull Rush after one or two games.

I understand the original point. But I seriously doubt the Cowboys brought Grier in as someone who could step in immediately if Dak went down, he's just another "maybe" player that will need seasoning, which again to me doesn't help the team this year, which is what your backup should be.

For example, let's use Foles. Before Foles "won" a SB with Philly he had started, not just played in, 36 NFL games. Plus a playoff game. And played in 6 other games.

Grier has only 10 more pass attempts that Foles has NFL games played.

I'm sorry, I just don't share in all the enthusiasm for a 52 pass attempt, never a starter, recently released quarterback who MIGHT be better than Rush.

Of course like anybody if he is on the team I'll give him every chance to prove he's a top or at least very good quarterback. But to this point he's JAG...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Isn't Rush the no. 2 quarterback? Grier won't come in if Dak goes down, it will be Rush. And if Rush falters, well Grier would of course come in. But I doubt they will pull Rush after one or two games.

I understand the original point. But I seriously doubt the Cowboys brought Grier in as someone who could step in immediately if Dak went down, he's just another "maybe" player that will need seasoning, which again to me doesn't help the team this year, which is what your backup should be.

For example, let's use Foles. Before Foles "won" a SB with Philly he had started, not just played in, 36 NFL games. Plus a playoff game. And played in 6 other games.

Grier has only 10 more pass attempts that Foles has NFL games played.

I'm sorry, I just don't share in all the enthusiasm for a 52 pass attempt, never a starter, recently released quarterback who MIGHT be better than Rush.

Of course like anybody if he is on the team I'll give him every chance to prove he's a top or at least very good quarterback. But to this point he's JAG...
Rush is 2 for now as he ought to be.

You need not share any enthusiasm.....but Griers lack of experience is offset by his age.

Can't really have both for a guy that was available via waivers after cuts.

Keep in mind almost anything would have been an improvement.

All the career cards are on the table from Rush and Gilbert. Still some we haven't seen from Grier. He was a much higher rated recruit and draft pick than the other two.

I hope this is very moot, but let's say the QB situation is the same this year as last......

It's possible Grier steps in and becomes either a long term backup or a tradeable asset.

Gilbert within that same scenario only has a chance to be what we've seen thus far.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Rush is 2 for now as he ought to be.

You need not share any enthusiasm.....but Griers lack of experience is offset by his age.

Can't really have both for a guy that was available via waivers after cuts.

Keep in mind almost anything would have been an improvement.

All the career cards are on the table from Rush and Gilbert. Still some we haven't seen from Grier. He was a much higher rated recruit and draft pick than the other two.

I hope this is very moot, but let's say the QB situation is the same this year as last......

It's possible Grier steps in and becomes either a long term backup or a tradeable asset.

Gilbert within that same scenario only has a chance to be what we've seen thus far.

I understand your post. Well thought out.

The only thing I will add is that while Rush hasn't been great when he's been in games, the limited experience also means that he might get better with more games. Funny how some here (not you my friend) have written Rush off after a couple of poror to average games but are enthused over a guy who's played in 2 games, and has a qb rating of 33.2, with 53.8% completions, 0 tds and 4 ints.

Of course I'm just talking about this year, not what Grier might become in 2022 or beyond, maybe that's where our disagreement lies...

fivetwos

Reaction score
I understand your post. Well thought out.

The only thing I will add is that while Rush hasn't been great when he's been in games, the limited experience also means that he might get better with more games. Funny how some here (not you my friend) have written Rush off after a couple of poror to average games but are enthused over a guy who's played in 2 games, and has a qb rating of 33.2, with 53.8% completions, 0 tds and 4 ints.

Of course I'm just talking about this year, not what Grier might become in 2022 or beyond, maybe that's where our disagreement lies...
Rush is what he is....a career backup.

We all know what they look like.

Grier is probably the same thing, except in his case there's still a half hour or so left to the movie, so a dramatic turn is still possible....although probably unlikely.

Again though, we very very much need to not find out.

Backups in GB and NYG never saw the field for years. We need that kind of run from Prescott or the rest isn't much more than splitting hairs.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Gilbert on his 9th team in 8 years. LOL....gotta give it to him. He's a survivor. Being a career backup QB in the NFL is not a bad gig. No one expects much so its hard to disappoint. Just move on to the next.

He has the arm talent and size to stand in the pocket. His issue is freezing in the pocket like a statue when the 1st read isn't open. I guess coaches feel like they can possibly coach him out of that....