CFZ Excited about this defense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Last year, we had one of the NFL's top defenses despite two glaring weaknesses: left cornerback and run-stuffing defensive tackle.

One of those weaknesses (LCB) got even weaker when Anthony Brown was lost to injury. Brown wasn't great, but with Jourdan Lewis out with injury, we didn't have enough players able to step up and either take the outside CB position or the slot CB position. DaRon Bland proved to be a find, but looked better in the slot than outside. Experimenting with Israel Mukuamu in the slot when we had to play Bland outside showed some promise in the playoffs.

Dallas addressed this weakness by trading a fifth-round draft pick for Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore didn't cost much because he's fairly old, but his play was rejuvenated last year. He was one of Indianapolis' top defenders last year. Pairing Gilmore with Diggs and Bland should make our secondary tough to beat this year. There are still some depth questions, but with Lewis set to return and Mukuamu having shown he can play the slot if needed, there's at least a little leeway this year. Brown played about as well as we could expect for a backup having to start because our second-rounder (Kelvin Joseph) has been a bust, but too many times it seemed like, offenses were able to burn him with a deep pass or two. Gilmore, even at this point in his career, should be a huge upgrade to Brown.

To give Dallas some backhanded credit, the Cowboys did trade for Jonathan Hankins when they continued to struggle stopping the run last season. Of course, most fans have been shouting for them to seriously address defensive tackle for years. They did it in the draft, taking a run stuffer they hope can turn into more than that. But if Mazi Smith is only a run stuffer, it still would fix one of our few weaknesses on defense. Dallas improved in that area after acquiring Hankins, and re-signed him, so pairing him with Smith should make the interior tough to run against. That should put offenses in more long-yardage situations and allow the pass rushers to feed.

It's hard to say at this point that the defense will be elite. My opinion is that won't happen until we get a defensive tackle who can consistently collapse the pocket. Mazi may turn into that player but it wouldn't be fair to expect that his rookie year. Odighizuwa and Golston provide some interior pressure, and Fehoko might can add to that. But for right now, better coverage and interior run-stopping is probably what we should expect, and what should make this defense even better than it was.

JayFord

Reaction score
im losing my mind over the defense

the flexes....the creativity....we could have what appears to be 4 safties on the field but 2 are playing LB on that down

then Mazi and Hankins keeping LBs clean and Parsons just getting a free pass to the qb

not to mention Lawrence and Williams and armstrong cant be doubled so theyre in one on ones

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I remember when we thought having only 1 hybrid was enough.
Many laughed about the "hybrid" role and debated its effectiveness.
Q now has drafted heavy in that hybrid back seven and its a scheme with pages of plays.
We can look at many in this back seven that are worthy of the "hybrid" tag now.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
The defense last year could of carried us to a SB by themselves and did everything they could to get us to a NFC champ game, any other starting QB in the league plays that game we probably are in the NFC champ. The defense this year is even better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Last year, we had one of the NFL's top defenses despite two glaring weaknesses: left cornerback and run-stuffing defensive tackle.
We had one of the top NFL defenses the first half of the season, but it fell off the second half of the season. We were approaching the top 5 in total defense early in the season and finished 12th. We had one of the best pass rushes the league had seen since the 85 Bears early in the season and it disappeared. Even when we were playing our best defense earlier in the season we still struggled against the run. Our defense completely fell apart in the second half against Green Bay and Jacksonville costing us both games. We were dreadful defensively against Washington and their rookie QB in the season finale. Our defense has gotten much better over the past couple of seasons, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. There’s potential to be a top defense, but we’re not nearly there yet. Parsons wears down as the season goes on and hasn’t shown up much in the playoffs the past two seasons. I’m not quite as stoked about the defense as you are. I want to see our defense come on in December not drop off.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM WILL BE getting to the QB, we struggle to do it in crunch moments, if Micah isn't doing it then it's a no go

Proof

Reaction score
im losing my mind over the defense

the flexes....the creativity....we could have what appears to be 4 safties on the field but 2 are playing LB on that down

then Mazi and Hankins keeping LBs clean and Parsons just getting a free pass to the qb

not to mention Lawrence and Williams and armstrong cant be doubled so theyre in one on ones
yeah man. there is a whole lot to be excited about. the mazi and gilmore additions are force multipliers and impact the rest of the defense across the board.

I'm also really looking forward to the developments of sam williams and clark. if they can make any sort of leaps then whew.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
The defense last year could of carried us to a SB by themselves and did everything they could to get us to a NFC champ game, any other starting QB in the league plays that game we probably are in the NFC champ. The defense this year is even better.
I wouldn’t go that far , we should have taken the next step of getting into NFCCG. Our D has SF on back heels and if offense had stepped up we should have got that game over with a Win.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Defense will be the strength and I'm very excited to see the unit get better this year, Kudos on a good topic for a thread... too bad we have many posters who cant read and for some reason cant find the many Dak threads to keep the war raging on.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That's fine but are we getting them in crunch time did we get many when it counted playing winning teams or San Fran
You have a point but in my view thats not because we cant pass rush in crunch time, it was because we ccould not stop the run enough to get teams in bad passing situations in crunch time. Scenario: the other team is up by 3 and has the ball on thier 30, they start running the ball at a 4 ypc click, you really cant rush the passer on 3rd and 2 or 3 because they will just run the ball on you.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Unless they plan on blitzing a lot more, it will be the same defense as last year. We won't notice a difference on game day.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We had one of the top NFL defenses the first half of the season, but it fell off the second half of the season. We were approaching the top 5 in total defense early in the season and finished 12th. We had one of the best pass rushes the league had seen since the 85 Bears early in the season and it disappeared. Even when we were playing our best defense earlier in the season we still struggled against the run. Our defense completely fell apart in the second half against Green Bay and Jacksonville costing us both games. We were dreadful defensively against Washington and their rookie QB in the season finale. Our defense has gotten much better over the past couple of seasons, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. There’s potential to be a top defense, but we’re not nearly there yet. Parsons wears down as the season goes on and hasn’t shown up much in the playoffs the past two seasons. I’m not quite as stoked about the defense as you are. I want to see our defense come on in December not drop off.
That's fair. I do believe Parsons being injured and worn down hurt our pass rush down the stretch, as well as adjustments we made after the Green Bay game to play the run better. I'm hoping the addition of Mazi will allow us to get back to how we were playing earlier. We cut down on movement late in the season to try to improve the run defense. Plus, after we lost Brown, it took us a while to figure out the coverage situation. Definitely things that can be improved, but I feel like we have the components now to be that top five defense for the entire season.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
yeah man. there is a whole lot to be excited about. the mazi and gilmore additions are force multipliers and impact the rest of the defense across the board.

I'm also really looking forward to the developments of sam williams and clark. if they can make any sort of leaps then whew.
I'm pretty much on an identical thought process as you are with Mazi and Gilmore.

Williams stepping up could allow Parsons to rest and stay fresh down the stretch.

My only difference is I'm not 100% sold on Clark and I'm more intrigued by what Bland can give us year 2.

There is a heck of a lot to get excited about though. Its doesn't need A, B, C, D & E to all click to make us elite, maybe just a couple of and we are over the top.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Disagree.

Coverage will be better, more interior push, and I’m expecting progress from Sam Williams.
Schematically, I mean.

Most likely though, there's going to be injuries along the DL that never hit last year and they're playing against much, much better quarterbacks.

The defense is going to regress, even if the talent is improved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My expectations for this year’s defense are sky high.

There have been more resources invested in it over the last three years than at any time I can recently remember.

On paper, they appear to have few, if any weaknesses.

And in my opinion, with great investments come great expectations.