CFZ Excited about this defense

Proof

Reaction score
I'm pretty much on an identical thought process as you are with Mazi and Gilmore.

Williams stepping up could allow Parsons to rest and stay fresh down the stretch.

My only difference is I'm not 100% sold on Clark and I'm more intrigued by what Bland can give us year 2.

There is a heck of a lot to get excited about though. Its doesn't need A, B, C, D & E to all click to make us elite, maybe just a couple of and we are over the top.
I'm not sold on Clark either, just looking forward to see if there's a leap. Bland I love, just not holding my breath he gives us more than 5 picks next year. so despite him being an exciting piece I'm not looking for "more" from him.

I would love to see Joseph blossom, but I think that ship has sailed.

quickccc

Reaction score
Last year, we had one of the NFL's top defenses despite two glaring weaknesses: left cornerback and run-stuffing defensive tackle.

One of those weaknesses (LCB) got even weaker when Anthony Brown was lost to injury. Brown wasn't great, but with Jourdan Lewis out with injury, we didn't have enough players able to step up and either take the outside CB position or the slot CB position. DaRon Bland proved to be a find, but looked better in the slot than outside. Experimenting with Israel Mukuamu in the slot when we had to play Bland outside showed some promise in the playoffs.

Dallas addressed this weakness by trading a fifth-round draft pick for Stephon Gilmore. Gilmore didn't cost much because he's fairly old, but his play was rejuvenated last year. He was one of Indianapolis' top defenders last year. Pairing Gilmore with Diggs and Bland should make our secondary tough to beat this year. There are still some depth questions, but with Lewis set to return and Mukuamu having shown he can play the slot if needed, there's at least a little leeway this year. Brown played about as well as we could expect for a backup having to start because our second-rounder (Kelvin Joseph) has been a bust, but too many times it seemed like, offenses were able to burn him with a deep pass or two. Gilmore, even at this point in his career, should be a huge upgrade to Brown.

To give Dallas some backhanded credit, the Cowboys did trade for Jonathan Hankins when they continued to struggle stopping the run last season. Of course, most fans have been shouting for them to seriously address defensive tackle for years. They did it in the draft, taking a run stuffer they hope can turn into more than that. But if Mazi Smith is only a run stuffer, it still would fix one of our few weaknesses on defense. Dallas improved in that area after acquiring Hankins, and re-signed him, so pairing him with Smith should make the interior tough to run against. That should put offenses in more long-yardage situations and allow the pass rushers to feed.

It's hard to say at this point that the defense will be elite. My opinion is that won't happen until we get a defensive tackle who can consistently collapse the pocket. Mazi may turn into that player but it wouldn't be fair to expect that his rookie year. Odighizuwa and Golston provide some interior pressure, and Fehoko might can add to that. But for right now, better coverage and interior run-stopping is probably what we should expect, and what should make this defense even better than it was.
Thanks for Sharing...

With the moves and quality additions we've added, per NFL draft, trades - and surprisingly re-signed - I myself can excited and very optimistic.

My concerns and await to see if we have improved in these areas as well. :

- 1) Expect opposing teams to try to continue to misdirection on our defenses with RB screens, waggles, jet sweeps, reverses.. trying to confuse us to re-direct.
In the past, we’ve been susceptible suckas for biting on ..or hesitating on misdirection plays.

- 2) Also no huddle offenses, have been known to take toll on us in the past.

This is where having mammoth DTs can be a disadvantage cuz you cannot keep them on the field per limited pass rush.
Plus those hefty biscuit guys get winded quickly in no huddle/2 minute warning drills and sets, so they are likely off the field in those situations.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Thanks for Sharing...

With the moves and quality additions we've added, per NFL draft, trades - and surprisingly re-signed - I myself can excited and very optimistic.

My concerns and await to see if we have improved in these areas as well. :

- 1) Expect opposing teams to try to continue to misdirection on our defenses with RB screens, waggles, jet sweeps, reverses.. trying to confuse us to re-direct.
In the past, we’ve been susceptible suckas for biting on ..or hesitating on misdirection plays.

- 2) Also no huddle offenses, have been known to take toll on us in the past.

This is where having mammoth DTs can be a disadvantage cuz you cannot keep them on the field per limited pass rush.
Plus those hefty biscuit guys get winded quickly in no huddle/2 minute warning drills and sets, so they are likely off the field in those situations.
Hold all opponents to 19 points or less on average.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Schematically, I mean.

Most likely though, there's going to be injuries along the DL that never hit last year and they're playing against much, much better quarterbacks.

The defense is going to regress, even if the talent is improved.
Why? It isn't as hard for Cowboys to keep faith and produce, as it is for some fans just to keep their own faith going...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm pretty much on an identical thought process as you are with Mazi and Gilmore.

Williams stepping up could allow Parsons to rest and stay fresh down the stretch.

My only difference is I'm not 100% sold on Clark and I'm more intrigued by what Bland can give us year 2.

There is a heck of a lot to get excited about though. Its doesn't need A, B, C, D & E to all click to make us elite, maybe just a couple of and we are over the top.
Once the defensive line and secondary are settled, then the linebacker will come along faster and stronger in keeping them functional at the same time.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Unless they plan on blitzing a lot more, it will be the same defense as last year. We won't notice a difference on game day.
I don't think I would use that snap shot in consideration for my retirement funds.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I remember when we thought having only 1 hybrid was enough.
Many laughed about the "hybrid" role and debated its effectiveness.
Q now has drafted heavy in that hybrid back seven and its a scheme with pages of plays.
We can look at many in this back seven that are worthy of the "hybrid" tag now.
Being able to adjust with the linebackers not having to remain back on their heels before the play starts.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
We had one of the top NFL defenses the first half of the season, but it fell off the second half of the season. We were approaching the top 5 in total defense early in the season and finished 12th. We had one of the best pass rushes the league had seen since the 85 Bears early in the season and it disappeared. Even when we were playing our best defense earlier in the season we still struggled against the run. Our defense completely fell apart in the second half against Green Bay and Jacksonville costing us both games. We were dreadful defensively against Washington and their rookie QB in the season finale. Our defense has gotten much better over the past couple of seasons, but there’s still a lot of room for improvement. There’s potential to be a top defense, but we’re not nearly there yet. Parsons wears down as the season goes on and hasn’t shown up much in the playoffs the past two seasons. I’m not quite as stoked about the defense as you are. I want to see our defense come on in December not drop off.
Excellent points. When people start calling it the best defense in the league, I remember how the defense went from carrying this team and being the reason for the early wins to allowing the Bears and the offensively terrible at the time Packers 30 points a game. After that we won games because the offense was scoring 35 points a game. It was like two different teams this past year. You have to sustain that play the whole season to be considered a great defense. It does sound like they have plenty of talent to do that this year, so I do get everybody being excited by the possibilities too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Excellent points. When people start calling it the best defense in the league, I remember how the defense went from carrying this team and being the reason for the early wins to allowing the Bears and the offensively terrible at the time Packers 30 points a game. After that we won games because the offense was scoring 35 points a game. It was like two different teams this past year. You have to sustain that play the whole season to be considered a great defense. It does sound like they have plenty of talent to do that this year, so I do get everybody being excited by the possibilities too.
We were clearly winning with defense early in the season with Cooper Rush at QB. During the 4 wins he had our defense didn’t give up more than 17 points. Our defense completely shut down the Rams who were playing with Stafford, and Cooper Kupp. Rush only passed for just over 100 yards in that game but our defense was outstanding. Things started to change with the defense after we lost to Philly. We gave up 26 points, which was the most we had given up to that point. Two weeks later we gave up 29 to a bad Bears team and the following week 31 to a bad Green Bay team that had lost six straight games. Our defense fell apart in the second half of that game. Our vaunted pass rush started disappearing. In December we gave up 40 to Jacksonville in a loss and the following week we gave up 34 to Philly with Gardner Minshew. This was clearly not the same defense we saw early in the season. Naturally fans started going overboard with the defense early in the season and just when it appeared we might have something special with this defense it began to sputter out. Parsons wasn’t as effective later in the season and had been neutralized. He only had maybe a couple of sacks the last five or six games The D played well against Tampa in the playoffs and played well enough to beat San Francisco but it still has a ways to go to becoming a top defense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Many factors at play there, and not just they didn't do it.

shabazz

Reaction score
I think QB play lost more games for us.

The defense is solid now.
we have to make sure we remember that last years defense only gave up 310 total yards to a great Niners offense so no concerns about the defense whatsoever…….but the offense this season remains a question mark.

shabazz

Reaction score
Unless they plan on blitzing a lot more, it will be the same defense as last year. We won't notice a difference on game day.
It should be different in at least 2 aspects…….the ability to stop the run more effectively at the point of attack AND a better chance of collapsing the center pocket and prevent those QB runs up the gut that we saw many time last season.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not sold on Clark either, just looking forward to see if there's a leap. Bland I love, just not holding my breath he gives us more than 5 picks next year. so despite him being an exciting piece I'm not looking for "more" from him.

I would love to see Joseph blossom, but I think that ship has sailed.
Yes, not sold on Clock because we didn’t get to see him much. I think you’ll be an asset.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
we have to make sure we remember that last years defense only gave up 310 total yards to a great Niners offense so no concerns about the defense whatsoever…….but the offense this season remains a question mark.
I am very worried about the RB situation, since MM says it will be a run heavy offense. Love Pollard, but how much can/should we expect from him in the first year after that injury?
And can we please just get somebody to kick the ball through the damn uprights, lol. Not asking for the second coming of Vinitieri, just a normal consistent kicker. Why is this such an unfixable problem?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It should be different in at least 2 aspects…….the ability to stop the run more effectively at the point of attack AND a better chance of collapsing the center pocket and prevent those QB runs up the gut that we saw many time last season.
If we can hold up the middle with the rookie. We have the edge rushers to get there. That’s where the glory comes from. This is going to be a nasty line. I think we set a record for interceptions this season.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am very worried about the RB situation, since MM says it will be a run heavy offense. Love Pollard, but how much can/should we expect from him in the first year after that injury?
And can we please just get somebody to kick the ball through the damn uprights, lol. Not asking for the second coming of Vinitieri, just a normal consistent kicker. Why is this such an unfixable problem?
That’s a really good question, I think there’s some females out there they can kick the ball better than some of our guys. In all seriousness.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
That’s a really good question, I think there’s some females out there they can kick the ball better than some of our guys. In all seriousness.
I remember Kathy Ireland kicking FGs in some movie, lol. At least if she missed, she looked so damn good in doing so you didn't care, lol