Excuses are for the pretenders

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Parnell had just signed with Jax. Try again.

i never said or acting like he was a good pick.

And DE was a need in 2015 just as RB was. And lol Tevin Coleman, he could not beat out a 4th round pick. Sure Gregory has been suspended but Coleman wasn't going to be the answer. Ajayi has a bad meniscus that presented a severe risk which caused him to drop.

They did target Johnson in the third but the Cards snagged him.

I do like how you choose to whine about the 2015 draft when it has nothing to do with the whole proactive discussion. Fact is that the team should not have signed Murray. His last few years make that very clear. it seems you have issues letting things go as this seems like a well practiced diatribe.

I'd take Coleman anytime over Randle. We could have had Johnson and or Coleman in the 2nd. Ajayi in the 3rd. Tackle was not that much of a need because they knew that Green was injured and won't be ready for the season. Plus Free was still playing. So Green was nothing more than a backup not a starter. Green could also be had in much later rounds like the 5th or 6th round.

DE was not big need then. Its just one of those wasted picks by Jones thinking that we can get top 10 value in the 2nd round.

Plain and simple we needed a runningback. Running the ball was our biggest strength and to ignore that position in the draft was stupid.

Big_D

Reaction score
I agree the situation was a mess but so is placing any responsibility on Garrett until he took over as HC. If that’s the case why aren’t we blaming Linehan now? Can’t have it both ways. That’s like blaming Garrett for the bad but no credit for the good . You can but is completely discounts your perspective.

Your perspective is pretty warped. You go to great lengths to defend everything Garrett. Even pretending he wasn't here those 4 years or wasn't part of the problem. Everything you say about Garrett and how it's all Jerry's fault. Same could be said for Wade. You can blame Jerry, Wade, Romo, etc.. never Garrett. He was part of the problem then and now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your perspective is pretty warped. You go to great lengths to defend everything Garrett. Even pretending he wasn't here those 4 years or wasn't part of the problem. Everything you say about Garrett and how it's all Jerry's fault. Same could be said for Wade. You can blame Jerry, Wade, Romo, etc.. never Garrett. He was part of the problem then and now.
I have NOT defended everything Garrett. I acknowledge his gaffs and shortcomings. I’d fire him in a NY minute if I thought there was a better solution.

The difference with me is I highlite the positives and honestly believe he’s as good a puppet we’ve had and will probably get with Jerry.

And it is Jerry’s fault Garrett and host of other puppets we’ve had. It’s Jerry’s fault we have the dysfunctional situation we have. It’s all on Jerry. He could begin to fix it today. But he won’t.

Garrett’s doing the best he can with his lack of experience and coaching ability.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Garrett isn’t part of the solution we’re more screwed than even I imagined with Jerry.

I’m not as close to the team as I used to be but I still trust my instincts and insight.

Wanting Garrett fired is a normal reaction but we don’t have a normal situation.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Several years ago, Jimmy Johnson was pressed on a given Sunday to explain why the Cowboys always seem to underachieve despite having some talent. His answer as I recall was something to the effect that the players did not fear the coaches or any repercussions for failure. He also (as I remember) said the environment was “too country club”. May not be exact, but I think that was generally what he said.

IMO, the biggest culture cancer of the last 22 years of failure boils down to this: Our leaders accept excuses. When the people who lead your organization not only have zero consequences for their own failure, and they also make “sugar daddy” excuses for their players and coaches for any year that has ended without much being accomplished, your organization is infected.

Tony Romo famously once stated that the NFL is a “meritocracy”- your value, playing time and accolades depend on your bottom line performance. Well that “meritocracy” may apply to the rest of the NFL, but it doesn’t apparently apply much in Dallas if you are in the FO or coaching staff.

Pick a year. Any year in the last 22. You can easily find Jerry making local or sports headlines by laying out a beautiful soft bed of excuses as to why his team either did not make the playoffs or exited early in the playoffs. For the sake of brevity, I can’t or won’t list all of the excuses laid out by Jerry to soft pedal his team’s failure, but here’s some of the excuse “greatest hits”- in no particular order:

1. If Zeke hadn’t been suspended those 6 games, 2017 would have been different.
2. If Aaron Rodgers doesn’t make that 3rd and 30 completion we would have won that 2016 playoff game.
3. If Tyron Smith hadn’t been hurt most of 2017, we would have won that Atlanta game.
4. Our defense was great until Sean Lee got hurt. If we have him all season...
5. If Greg Hardy had stayed focused and played like he did in his first game against NE, we would have...
6. If Tony Romo doesn’t hurt his back, break his collarbone, need surgery......etc.
7. It takes a while for a rookie head coach to develop. (Implying it was ok to throw seasons away in the “learning process”)
8. Wade Phillips after the disastrous 2007 loss in first round to giants: “We still had a great season”. (If I was GM, that might have been a firing offense, but this org loves excuses)
9. Jerry- “Zeke’s been through a lot lately”. (Jerry telling coaches they shouldn’t discipline him after he quit on a play in Denver after an interception)
10. Jerry- “I don’t want to give up on the development of Jason Garrett too soon and let another team benefit from it”. (After 3 straight non-winning, non-playoff seasons)

The excuse list of the last two decades could fill a 500 page book. Excuse making is the opposite of accountability. Good leaders own their mistakes and impose consequences for failure, regardless of what coulda, woulda, shoulda been. What makes this team’s culture so problematic is that as long as Jerry and the top brass keep making and accepting excuses, it will continue to dog this team.

I’m sick of the excuses. As fans we should stop repeating some of Jerry’s excuses on these boards. If this team again fails to make the playoffs, or loses early in the playoffs, there should be ZERO excuses. This team has enough talent to make some noise this year.

Injuries happen- every year. Bad calls, and bad luck happen every year. The true contenders always find a way to win anyway and the pretenders always find a good set of excuses.

cliffs:

BjGFR3g.jpg

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'd take Coleman anytime over Randle. We could have had Johnson and or Coleman in the 2nd. Ajayi in the 3rd. Tackle was not that much of a need because they knew that Green was injured and won't be ready for the season. Plus Free was still playing. So Green was nothing more than a backup not a starter. Green could also be had in much later rounds like the 5th or 6th round.

DE was not big need then. Its just one of those wasted picks by Jones thinking that we can get top 10 value in the 2nd round.

Plain and simple we needed a runningback. Running the ball was our biggest strength and to ignore that position in the draft was stupid.

Swing tackle is a need. You would think that after last year you would know that. Green was on the roster the entirety of his rookie season as swing tackle.

We also needed a DE, S, LB, and QB back then. Your approach is one of desperation and like I said would have reached Jerry Jones style. Coleman is not a starting quality RB and given his performance the past couple of years there is no reason to believe he would have done better than DMC's 1000 yard performance.

Your revisionism is also extremely misguided. The issue that year was not the running game for all your handwaving; teams stacked the box, played obnoxiously conservative because we couldn't cover or stop anyone, and dared Weeden and Cassell to beat them. The defense and quarterback were much bigger concerns.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So to you, holding someone accountable in your view is simply complaining about them complaining?

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I see you ignored my post but I will reiterate that you guys are complaining to third parties while he is complaining to the source of his problem.

As I said the very common sentiment towards people that complain to third parties is to do something about it or shut up. It is commonly held as being annoying. I get that you are trying to paint him as a hypocrite by pretending that he is doing the same thing but that is clearly not the case.

i find it amusing that you lack the introspection to see that what you are doing is seen by those that don't share the sentiment of fault and blame that you do as *****ing and moaning over the same thing that you do nothing real about over and over and over and over again. You have to know that the Joneses, players, or anyone else who matter will never read you guy's diatribes.

Cause exactly what is the point of your constant complaining? When he does it he is trying to get you guys to stop. When you guys do it you cannot reasonably think that you are going to change anything real. It basically boils down to you making yourself feel better.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
No, you and Sydia and some others made your hate bed. You should expect the "reap what you sow" feedback. I'm holding you accountable for your actions. It's just that simple.
You know, you are the rudest, most obnoxious poster on these boards. Take a poll, see for yourself.

And your answers are very strange and don't fit the posts you quote.

kskboys

Reaction score
That draft was full a good runningbacks. Some are still productive till this day. I guess the front office wanted to prove to everyone "that anyone can run behind this oline."

They were willing to go with Randle to begin the season. As we all know how that turned out to be.

Randy Gregory and Chaz Green were terrible choices. I especially didn't like Chaz Green pick while there were still good running backs available.
It was. That draft was loaded w/ RB's, and we thought Randle was the answer?

Jordan Howard went in the frickin' 5th.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t understand why expecting your favorite team to stop making excuses and win NOW is “hate”. The talent is there. HC and his “process” has been here 7+ seasons. He’s bought all the groceries. Time to cook! That’s “hate”?
Because a few posters have mental health issues.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So just stop talking like Chaz Green was a good pick. He sucks and Dallas messed up. Foresight my butt!
I still find it comical that any fan can still defend that pick and say "uh well he looked okay before that".

That Atlanta game is something he will likely never recover from. He is still talking about it, it is still in his head.

He is toast. He was a reach, a bad pick, an oft-injured soft loser and he will soon be out of the league.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Swing tackle is a need. You would think that after last year you would know that. Green was on the roster the entirety of his rookie season as swing tackle.

We also needed a DE, S, LB, and QB back then. Your approach is one of desperation and like I said would have reached Jerry Jones style. Coleman is not a starting quality RB and given his performance the past couple of years there is no reason to believe he would have done better than DMC's 1000 yard performance.

Your revisionism is also extremely misguided. The issue that year was not the running game for all your handwaving; teams stacked the box, played obnoxiously conservative because we couldn't cover or stop anyone, and dared Weeden and Cassell to beat them. The defense and quarterback were much bigger concerns.

Swing tackle was not a need back then. We had Free and we were set with that position. We took Green as a backup. Nothing more. He was injured and we reached. Why can't you understand that?

Yes we needed a runningback then. The FO didn't want to admit it. To go into the season with Randle as rthe starter was a dumb. Luckily he stoled some underwear and was booted from the team.

Coleman is not starting because Freeman is under contract. If he wasn't he would be starter. Secondly, Coleman is a far better runner than anything we had then. Where is Randle? Where is DMC now? Heck I would have selected Ajayi.

Poiint is Dallas failed to pick a runningback then just to prove a point that they were smarter. The failed. DMC ran for 1000 yard. Big deal. We should have had a runner that could run for 1,500.

Basically Dallas failed. Where is Gregory right now? What happened to Chaz Green? Both major failures, both bust. So please don't try to argue your point. Anyone knows what a failure those two have been.