Excuses are for the pretenders

GenoT

Reaction score
Yeah, I might want to do that. Most people talk about playoff games since our last SB win in the 1995 season, 22 seasons ago, which would be 3. In the last 21 seasons, we have only had 2 because it wouldn't count the wild card win in the 1996 season, the year after we won the last SB.
The WC win you mention, although it occurred in the calendar year 1996, was following the 1995 season.

If this will help, go to Pro Football Refference and count — one by one — the number of SEASONS, starting with 1996, thru 2017.

If the number you get is something other than 22, then you’re on your own.
:facepalm:

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Vendetta?

The team won SBs back in the early and mid 90s with teams built in conjunction with Jimmy Johnson. That's not to say Jerry gets no credit. He deserves credit as well for those teams. But when one of the key variables was removed - Johnson - and the teams they built finally ran their course, what has the GM/owner done?

Nothing. Since the 1996 SB team the Cowboys, under the guidance of Jones, has made the playoffs only 9 times in 22 seasons. That's pretty abysmal, wouldn't you agree? Over that same 22 year period, they have only 3 playoff wins. That's pretty abysmal, right? They have zero conference title game appearances in 22 years. Again, that's pretty abysmal. Since 1996, 13 different NFC teams have played in at least one NFC conference title game. Only the Lions, Skins, and yes, our Cowboys have not even played in a conference title game over that 22 year period.

And now look at that in the context that the Cowboys are supposed to be one of the elite franchises in this league, one the most important franchises in NFL history.

That's why people have issues with Jerry. He's been the face and the decision maker and the player personnel guy and the picker of coaches that has resulted in a two decade run that puts the Cowboys at the bottom of NFC teams in terms of high level success. It's not because people are jealous of his money or bitter he fired Landry.

It's because he's taken a proud franchise and taken them on a two decade run of futility. How don't people see that?

What did Jimmy accomplish without Jerry?

He had multiple HoFer on that Miami team and screwed the pooch with awful drafting and questionable player development.

Of course you would never consider that logical extension of your deduction.

Jimmy was a primadonna of the worst sort and people ate it up.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The WC win you mention, although it occurred in the calendar year 1996, was following the 1995 season.

If this will help, go to Pro Football Refference and count — one by one — the number of SEASONS, starting with 1996, on.

If the number you get is something other than 22, then I really can’t help you.
:facepalm:

LOL. I promise I get 22 seasons too. I think we can both count, so that isn't the issue.

We won the last Super Bowl in the 1995 season. The Super Bowl is played early in the next year and was played on January 28th 1996.

The 1996 season is when our SB drought began. That was 22 seasons ago ending with the 2017 season. (1996-2017)

We have 3 Wild Card wins in 22 seasons (from 1996-2017). The wins came against Minnesota in the 1996 season, Philly in 2009 season, and Detroit in 2014 season.

It appears you are not counting the Wild Card win against Minnesota in 1996.

GenoT

Reaction score
LOL. I promise I get 22 seasons too. I think we can both count, so that isn't the issue.

We won the last Super Bowl in the 1995 season. The Super Bowl is played early in the next year and was played on January 28th 1996.

The 1996 season is when our SB drought began. That was 22 seasons ago ending with the 2017 season. (1996-2017)

We have 3 Wild Card wins in 22 seasons (from 1996-2017). The wins came against Minnesota in the 1996 season, Philly in 2009 season, and Detroit in 2014 season.

It appears you are not counting the Wild Card win against Minnesota.
Once again (sighs)...the Minnesota WC win counts for the 1995 season, although the actual game occurred in 1996 (I get this).

What you don’t seem to grasp is (and I’ll go REAL slow here), we have had 22 full and complete seasons plus playoffs — SINCE OUR LAST WC WIN — with only 2 subsequent wins in the WC round.

You’re killing me, bro.
:thumbup:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It may not come from them. But its certainly from the media. Regardless, it still an excuse. Whats worst is that its from the media.

Garrett has been here for more than 9 years. He has nothing to show for. As what the OP has pointed out, (Jimmy) we have become too comfortable with the status quo, like a country club.

Maybe Jimmy's statement hasn't fallen on deaf years? Maybe thats why there have been several changes lately in Dallas that would have otherwise stayed the same?
Who cares if its from the media. The point is, it’s not from Garrett for sure and I don’t think JJ either. Course its hard to decipher what he says sometimes.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Once again (sighs)...the Minnesota WC win counts for the 1995 season, although the actual game occurred in 1996 (I get this).

What you don’t seem to grasp is (and I’ll go REAL slow here), we have had 22 seasons — SINCE OUR LAST WC WIN — with only 2 subsequent wins in the WC round.

You’re killing me, bro.
:thumbup:
LOL. Thanks for going slow. I will try to return the favor. Here are the playoff wins on the way to the 1995 Super Bowl:

WE beat Philadelphia on Jan 7, 1996
We beat Green Bay on Jan 14, 1996 to win the NFC Champioship game
We beat Pittsburgh on Jan 28, 1996 to win the SB.

That ended the 1995 season. Notice we did not play the Minnesota Vikings in the playoffs on the road to winning the SB, but all of those games were played in the 1996 calendar year even though it is for the 1995 season.

In September, the 1996 season kicked off. We made the playoffs in the 1996 season and beat the Minnesota Vikings on December 28, 1996. We lost to Carolina the following week on January 5, 1997 to end the 1996 season. This was season #1 following the last SB win and we had 1 Wild Card win.

If you want to exclude the win against Minnesota, that is fine. But you also have to exclude the season in which the playoff game was won.

It is either 3 Wild Cards in 22 seasons (1996 - 2017) OR 2 WC wins in 21 seasons (1997 - 2017). You're trying to count the 1996 season to give you 22 seasons, but not give credit for the playoff win that was won in the 1996 season. It doesn't work that way.

Now, am I still killing you?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Several years ago, Jimmy Johnson was pressed on a given Sunday to explain why the Cowboys always seem to underachieve despite having some talent. His answer as I recall was something to the effect that the players did not fear the coaches or any repercussions for failure. He also (as I remember) said the environment was “too country club”. May not be exact, but I think that was generally what he said.

IMO, the biggest culture cancer of the last 22 years of failure boils down to this: Our leaders accept excuses. When the people who lead your organization not only have zero consequences for their own failure, and they also make “sugar daddy” excuses for their players and coaches for any year that has ended without much being accomplished, your organization is infected.

Tony Romo famously once stated that the NFL is a “meritocracy”- your value, playing time and accolades depend on your bottom line performance. Well that “meritocracy” may apply to the rest of the NFL, but it doesn’t apparently apply much in Dallas if you are in the FO or coaching staff.

Pick a year. Any year in the last 22. You can easily find Jerry making local or sports headlines by laying out a beautiful soft bed of excuses as to why his team either did not make the playoffs or exited early in the playoffs. For the sake of brevity, I can’t or won’t list all of the excuses laid out by Jerry to soft pedal his team’s failure, but here’s some of the excuse “greatest hits”- in no particular order:

1. If Zeke hadn’t been suspended those 6 games, 2017 would have been different.
2. If Aaron Rodgers doesn’t make that 3rd and 30 completion we would have won that 2016 playoff game.
3. If Tyron Smith hadn’t been hurt most of 2017, we would have won that Atlanta game.
4. Our defense was great until Sean Lee got hurt. If we have him all season...
5. If Greg Hardy had stayed focused and played like he did in his first game against NE, we would have...
6. If Tony Romo doesn’t hurt his back, break his collarbone, need surgery......etc.
7. It takes a while for a rookie head coach to develop. (Implying it was ok to throw seasons away in the “learning process”)
8. Wade Phillips after the disastrous 2007 loss in first round to giants: “We still had a great season”. (If I was GM, that might have been a firing offense, but this org loves excuses)
9. Jerry- “Zeke’s been through a lot lately”. (Jerry telling coaches they shouldn’t discipline him after he quit on a play in Denver after an interception)
10. Jerry- “I don’t want to give up on the development of Jason Garrett too soon and let another team benefit from it”. (After 3 straight non-winning, non-playoff seasons)

The excuse list of the last two decades could fill a 500 page book. Excuse making is the opposite of accountability. Good leaders own their mistakes and impose consequences for failure, regardless of what coulda, woulda, shoulda been. What makes this team’s culture so problematic is that as long as Jerry and the top brass keep making and accepting excuses, it will continue to dog this team.

I’m sick of the excuses. As fans we should stop repeating some of Jerry’s excuses on these boards. If this team again fails to make the playoffs, or loses early in the playoffs, there should be ZERO excuses. This team has enough talent to make some noise this year.

Injuries happen- every year. Bad calls, and bad luck happen every year. The true contenders always find a way to win anyway and the pretenders always find a good set of excuses.
I guess we've been pretenders but that's all over now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL. Thanks for going slow. I will try to return the favor. Here are the playoff wins on the way to the 1995 Super Bowl:

WE beat Philadelphia on Jan 7, 1996
We beat Green Bay on Jan 14, 1996 to win the NFC Champioship game
We beat Pittsburgh on Jan 28, 1996 to win the SB.

That ended the 1995 season. Notice we did not play the Minnesota Vikings in the playoffs on the road to winning the SB, but all of those games were played in the 1996 calendar year even though it is for the 1995 season.

In September, the 1996 season kicked off. We made the playoffs in the 1996 season and beat the Minnesota Vikings on December 28, 1996. We lost to Carolina the following week on January 5, 1997 to end the 1996 season. This was season #1 following the last SB win and we had 1 Wild Card win.

If you want to exclude the win against Minnesota, that is fine. But you also have to exclude the season in which the playoff game was won.

It is either 3 Wild Cards in 22 seasons (1996 - 2017) OR 2 WC wins in 21 seasons (1997 - 2017). You're trying to count the 1996 season to give you 22 seasons, but not give credit for the playoff win that was won in the 1996 season. It doesn't work that way.

Now, am I still killing you?
I swear you’re the “Cowboys negative stats Whisperer”. Must suck.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The playoff games that occurred in Jan 1996, and which count for the 1995 season, DO NOT count towards the 22 season total WHICH BEGAN with the start of the 1996 season on.

From the BEGINNING of the 1996 season (Sept 1996 — not Jan),we have played exactly 22 seasons, by anyone’s math, with exactly two WC wins.

I hope you’re field of endeavor doesn’t include basic math or handling large sums of money.

Lol. I know.

Now go check the date of the wild card win against Minnesota again. It happened in December 1996 as part of the 1996 season. The playoff wins for the 1995 season occurred 11 months earlier in January 1996.

For what it is worth, you trying to be a smart *** while being 100% incorrect is extremely funny.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I swear you’re the “Cowboys negative stats Whisperer”. Must suck.
What is negative about me stating a fact we have 3 wild card wins in 22 seasons as opposed to the 2 wild card wins Gino is trying to give the Candidates enjoys credit for?

Do you read or are you just a bot and hat posts whining messages?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What is negative about me stating a fact we have 3 wild card wins in 22 seasons as opposed to the 2 wild card wins Gino is trying to give the Candidates enjoys credit for?
Oh just the fact that your posts are always negative in one way or the other.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yes, Lol!

Once again (arghh)....the playoff games that occurred in Jan 1996, and which count ONLY for the 1995 season, DO NOT count towards the 22 season total — which BEGAN with the start of the 1996 season on.

From the BEGINNING of the 1996 season (Sept 1996 — not Jan 1996), we have played exactly 22 seasons, by anyone’s math, with exactly two WC wins.

I hope you’re field of endeavor doesn’t include basic math or handling large sums of money.

Gino, the win against Minnesota didn’t occur at the beginning of 1996. It happened at the end of 1996. You’re trying to lump the Minnesota win in with the 1995 season. It wasn’t part of 1995. It occured in the 1996 season. That wild card win is playoff win #1. And we have had 2 others.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You think everything is negative.
No, just the opposite actually. That’s why I have an issue with those that are always negative. It doesn’t make sense to me. It doesn’t seem healthy to me to always look for the negative side of things. I choose to look at the positive sides of things. I know that’s a better place to be. I don’t mind all the **** I get from you or the others I out, because I know my motives are honorable. With age comes wisdom. I hope you learn young grasshopper.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
No, just the opposite actually. That’s why I have an issue with those that are always negative. It doesn’t make sense to me. It doesn’t seem healthy to me to always look for the negative side of things. I choose to look at the positive sides of things. I know that’s a better place to be. I don’t mind all the **** I get from you or the others I out, because I know my motives are honorable. With age comes wisdom. I hope you learn young grasshopper.
So, can you explain how I am being negative debating that we have 3 playoffs wins instead of 2?

GenoT

Reaction score
Lol. I know.

Now go check the date of the wild card win against Minnesota again. It happened in December 1996 as part of the 1996 season. The playoff wins for the 1995 season occurred 11 months earlier in January 1996.

For what it is worth, you trying to be a smart *** while being 100% incorrect is extremely funny.

I suppose it’s better to be a smart-azz than a dumb-azz.

Start your SEASON count in Sept 1996. Now count the number of seasons since then, ending with the 2017 season.

Now tell me how many SEASONS we have played since Sept 1996 and how many WC games we have won in that span.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I suppose it’s better to be a smart-azz than a dumb-azz.

Start your SEASON count in Sept 1996. Now count the number of seasons since then, ending with the 2017 season.

Now tell me how many SEASONS we have played since Sept 1996 and how many WC games we have won in that span.
We have played 22 seasons. We already established we both know how to count. We have already agreed we have playoff wins against Philly and Detroit. That is 2.

The issue is you are attaching the playoff win against Minnesota in December of 1996 to the 1995 season. It wasn’t part of the 95 season. It was part of the 96 season.

So it is 3 playoff wins beginning in 1996 season which began in September 1996.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Man, there have been a huge number of excuses over the history of the NFL then, because there is only one true winner each year. Every NFL team, every year have their reasons for falling short of the mark. They're called reasons, not excuses. Maybe they are the same but when you have data that clearly shows that your LT goes down for a few games and the QB sacks escalate, I call that a reason. And, when your starting WIL LB'er goes down and teams run all over you, I call that a reason.

I know, we should have had more foresight right Bob. Had a great LT and LB'er waiting in the wings when Tron and Sean went down. Damn bother, more reasons. If you chose a different team to root for I'm sure you would hear the same reasons/excuses unless you've been a NE fan since the mid 2000's. All the others, every year, every game have reasons/excuses. I blame the football gods. and karma but that's just me

Were there reasons/excuses back in the Landry era? You bet. You have a selective, short term memory if you don't remember the "next year" description of the team in the Landry/Brant/Murcheson era. We just didn't whine and there was no fan club to whine too. Suggest a different vintage or some cheese to go with the thinly veiled whine :)

When the op states "no more excuses" he's not the whiner, the ones that are making/allowing excuses are the whiners.

When your defense relys on 1 person (lee) to be there then you should have prepared to increase the talent around him because he's proven to be injury prone. Excuses.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Are you that miserable man,cause you LOVE the word HATE!! Is there so much of it in your life man?
Chill man no one is hating anyone we're just expressing different opinions on the team we love and cherish man!
Either way the chips fall come this season one thing is for certain....we will all cheer together of cry together as the Star above all man!!!
Great post pap.