Excuses are for the pretenders

GenoT

Reaction score
We have played 22 seasons. We already established we both know how to count. We have already established we have playoff wins against Philly and Detroit. That is 2.

The issue is you are attaching the playoff win against Minnesota in December of 1996 to the 1995 season. It wasn’t part of the 95 season. It was part of the 96 season.

So it is 3 playoff wins beginning in 1996 season.

Wrong.

A playoff game in JAN 1996 does NOT count as a game in a season which begins in SEPT of 1996. The MN WC win was one of 3 postseason wins, which followed the 1995 season and led up to our last SB title (Jan 28, 1996) and which concluded the 1995 season.

The gap between Jan 1996 and Sept 1996 included an entire offseason, with the 1996 season beginning in Sept of that year.

If you don’t believe me, please go to Pro Football Reference and educate yourself.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Don’t like or are tired of the topic? Use your power of choice and don’t post. Maybe it will die a natural death from lack of interest.
Wrong.

A playoff game in JAN 1996 does NOT count as a game in a season which begins in SEPT of 1996. The MN WC win was one of 3 postseason wins, which followed the 1995 season and led up to our last SB title (Jan 28, 1996) and which concluded the 1995 season.

The gap between Jan 1996 and Sept 1996 included an entire offseason, with the 1996 season beginning in Sept of that year.

If you don’t believe me, please go to Pro Football Reference and educate yourself.
This is a strange debate.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I suppose it’s better to be a smart-azz than a dumb-azz.

Start your SEASON count in Sept 1996. Now count the number of seasons since then, ending with the 2017 season.

Now tell me how many SEASONS we have played since Sept 1996 and how many WC games we have won in that span.

It is quite sad we have to quibble about a game 22 years ago, just to help make those 22 years of futility sound just a tad better. Unfortunately, this is what this franchise has been reduced to, we don't have the results to prove it so we resort in trying to find stats to help us feel better about our team. There are tons of those kinds of posts and threads, look at all these great stats and numbers that prove our greatness, just don't ask what we've won.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
We've had 2 playoff wins since our dynasty team. I usually count the 1996 team with those teams. That was really the end of the line. The girl who accused Irvin and Williams of rape derailed those playoffs. I never expected just 2 playoff wins in all the years since.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Wrong.

Agreed, Geno. A playoff win in January of 1996 does NOT count as a game in the 1996 season.

Now follow me here, the playoff win against Minnesota was won in December 1996. That is AFTER the 1996 season began in September.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It is quite sad we have to quibble about a game 22 years ago, just to help make those 22 years of futility sound just a tad better. Unfortunately, this is what this franchise has been reduced to, we don't have the results to prove it so we resort in trying to find stats to help us feel better about our team. There are tons of those kinds of posts and threads, look at all these great stats and numbers that prove our greatness, just don't ask what we've won.
Actually, I liked his original comment and tried to make a joke how just 1 playoff win increases our playoff win total by a whopping 50%. For some reason, that has sparked a debate with name calling just to get a simple fact straight. 2 or 3 wins is crap either way you try to slice it. There is no dressing it up.

GenoT

Reaction score
Agreed, Geno. A playoff win in January of 1996 does NOT count as a game in the 1996 season.

Now follow me here, the playoff win against Minnesota was won in December 1996. That is AFTER the 1996 season began in September.

Aviano...after carefully (duh) checking, you are correct, sir.

My apologies for belaboring my altogether sloppy argument and for wasting your time.
:huh::grin::banghead:

plasticman

Reaction score
There is one reason and one reason only as to why the Cowboys have not succeeded in extending their playoff success of the past:

Their GM is completely amateurish, unqualified, incompetent, unfocused and totally lacks accountability.

Seriously,how long would any other GM last in the NFL with his record since the departure of Jimmy Johnson?

NFL GM's reach their position by experiencing excellent success at every previous level from assistant scout to area scout to assistant director to director to possibly assistant GM and so on. Some started their career as actual players.

As an owner, Jerry Jones has some excellent qualities. Unfortunately,they are erased by his grave flaw of selecting a selfish, unqualified amateur as the GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wrong.

For the record the Cowboys have had 3 playoff wins since our last SB XXX following the 1995 season.

They were following 2014 season , 2009 and 1996.

I’m probably older than most here as I’ve lived and watched every playoff game.

But here’s a link for you..
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We've had 2 playoff wins since our dynasty team. I usually count the 1996 team with those teams. That was really the end of the line. The girl who accused Irvin and Williams of rape derailed those playoffs. I never expected just 2 playoff wins in all the years since.
Id agree with this perspective of that playoff win was part of that era or those teams.

But we often have seen the statement that we’ve only won 2 playoff games since our last SB which isn’t correct and what spurred the argument. Aviano is correct.

cern

Reaction score
The new age of mcclay/Stephen will not tolerate excuses. Accountability is the new buzzword. Problems will be identified and corrected. Those not measuring up to standards will be culled from the team. Players or coaches.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The new age of mcclay/Stephen will not tolerate excuses. Accountability is the new buzzword. Problems will be identified and corrected. Those not measuring up to standards will be culled from the team. Players or coaches.
Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the record the Cowboys have had 3 playoff wins since our last SB XXX following the 1995 season.

They were following 2014 season , 2009 and 1996.

I’m probably older than most here as I’ve lived and watched every playoff game.

But here’s a link for you..
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/playoffs.htm
I haven't lived them but I did see them. If I had lived them, I would be even older than I am now and I named amoeba's. John, Lucas, Shirley, Mohammed and Stanley. Stanley had the nickname of Shuffle because of how he kind of scooted.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There are reasons and there are excuses and the difference is accountability.

Accountability for every play. Every decision. And the aggregate of all. Winning doesn't mean you did everything right. Losing doesn't mean you did everything wrong.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
They drafted Green 4 years ago now to back up Tyron and replace Parnell. That was proactive. He had played well in the past. He did not that evening.

That is an issue of scouting or coaching not foresight.

They had DMac, Morris, and Smith on the roster. There is not a 1-800-ALLPRORB service. They hedged as well as could be expected.

And if you want to complain about something when their method in your eyes has changed to how you want it then nothing will ever make you happy so why should anyone at any point care when you have an issue?

That was not proactive. That was a silly reach taking an often injured linemen in the 3rd while we needed a runningback. Their thought process back then was that "anyone can run behind our oline" and that we didn't need to resign Murray - and could have done it with the backs that they had. Of course, it didn't end up well the next year did it? This eventually led to us taking Zeke a year later.

Thats not being proactive. Its called being reactive.

I do admit Dallas is learning from their mistakes. Or maybe its because Jerry is slowly passing the mantle off to others within the organization. But to say they were proactive most of the time is incorrect. Its only been recently, possibly in the last two years that they've been proactive stance on things.

rpntex

Reaction score
Yes there excuse was there was too many injuries and Zeke suspension. It maybe be valid but its still and excuse. And we have allowed these excuses to fester each and every year to the point where we act reactively to them, rather than proactively in fixing the problem.

I expect them to be the in the playoffs this year. Injuries happen to every team. There are no excuses if we don't make it then heads should roll..

Neither Jerry or Garrett made any public comments regarding injuries or Zeke’s suspension...especially in the form of an excuse. Fans and media may have, but the guys on the top of the ladder made ZERO excuses.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That was not proactive. That was a silly reach taking an often injured linemen in the 3rd while we needed a runningback. Their thought process back then was that "anyone can run behind our oline" and that we didn't need to resign Murray - and could have done it with the backs that they had. Of course, it didn't end up well the next year did it? This eventually led to us taking Zeke a year later.

Thats not being proactive. Its called being reactive.

I do admit Dallas is learning from their mistakes. Or maybe its because Jerry is slowly passing the mantle off to others within the organization. But to say they were proactive most of the time is incorrect. Its only been recently, possibly in the last two years that they've been proactive stance on things.

If you are going to do a deduction then you need to learn what mutually exclusive means and when or not it applies. You can think he was a reach but that does not mean that he also could not be a backup tackle. He played well in 2016 for 2 games in that role too.

As for Murray, he was 27, the age RB usually decline, and wanted big money. They chose not to resign him. He has been hurt, cut again since, and still unsigned now. You can call it whatever you want but it showed their foresight was right.

I guess you would have preferred that they reach for running backs in 2015.