Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
June 13, 2005
By Tony Mejia
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer
Tell Tony your opinion!
[font=Arial, Helvetica][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]SAN ANTONIO -- Let's see here ....

1. Two quick touch fouls on both Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton compromised the Pistons' top perimeter defenders within the game's first seven minutes.

[/font]2. What's up with Nazr Mohammed getting respect from the refs in the first quarter like he's Shaquille O'Neal?

3. There was way too much face time on the Jumbotron for that wonderfully distracting Eva Longoria.

Don't mind me -- just helping the Detroit Pistons with their laundry list of excuses for their 97-76 Game 2 loss. The Spurs took it to them from the opening tip, surging to an 11-2 start and never allowing the defending champions within five the rest of the way.

So this one is especially hard to conceive of. Hopefully, the three items mentioned above provide a start.

See, the Pistons don't get beat. When they lose, it's either the refs' fault, their tiring legs or their heads being elsewhere. They're the champs, baby. Says so right on Rasheed Wallace's wrestling belt. No one can actually enjoy the privilege of beating them.

Remember, this is a team whose emotional leader calls Manu Ginobili "all right -- nothing special." Only fitting that the Spurs guard hit his first six shots to put the game away, nailing his first four from 3-point range. Nah, nothing special about him. Detroit is the team that has Miami head coach Stan Van Gundy boycotting the Finals -- "not a chance I watch even a second on my own," -- because he suspected "Detroit will cry on every call the entire series."

Wonder if brother Jeff called and told Stan to turn on the game Sunday night, because he certainly would've recognized the spectacle.

The Pistons are going back to Auburn Hills with an 0-2 deficit in the NBA Finals after perhaps their most embarrassing performance of the past two postseasons, and it remains to be seen how their psyches will handle it.

Although you would expect two lopsided results to generate some humility, there was none in the Detroit locker room following the Game 2 loss, only the expected sour mood.

"We still feel good about our chances," Wallace said. "It was the good ol' boys against the bad boys. Now it's the bad boys' turn."

Bravado sure is hard to shake. 'Sheed walked alone as he boarded the team bus, prized championship belt still draped over his right shoulder. That luxury appears to be on borrowed time based on the results of the first two games.

Unlike Game 1, which was hotly contested until the final quarter, San Antonio dominated the entire way, hitting 11 3-pointers, which primarily resulted from defensive breakdowns. Offensively, the desired plan of feeding Rasheed and generating offense from the inside-out broke down early, sabotaged by sloppy passes and the ever-increasing deficit. San Antonio ran off 30 first-quarter points, led by as many as 18 in the second quarter and was up 58-42 at the break.

Given time to regroup, Detroit came out for the second half offering more of the same. Rasheed took a fallaway 17-footer, the Pistons grabbed the offensive board and it ended up with Chauncey Billups chucking up a 3-pointer. When the first points of the half were finally delivered by Rip Hamilton, he gave a point right back by yelling at the ref about not drawing a foul call.

The Pistons lack of cool and constant obsessing over whistles is now clearly affecting the team's play, but when asked about it after the game, Hamilton answered with a terse "next question."

The final minutes delivered a flurry of technicals, with coach Larry Brown and Billups earning warnings seconds apart. Why Brown would continue to whine over non-calls down 17 is beyond reason. Shortly after drawing the T's he waved the white Darko Milicic flag and pulled the starters.

"With us, we just have to figure out how to go out and play basketball," said Hamilton, who should certainly follow his own advice. "I mean, we felt though the whistling didn't go our way on some plays. ... We should learn from the Miami series, the Indiana series." The Pistons are down two games in a series for the first time all postseason. Their backs are really against the wall, which is when they claim they're at their best. The Spurs have struck first, that's all. The Pistons aren't saying they're bothered, just directing their frustrations at the referees, offering up their excuses and giving little credit to their conquerors.

"We really don't care," says Ginobili about the lack of props Detroit has offered. "We know how we are, we know how we play, how good we are. We've just got to stay humble. If people don't give us credit we just don't care.

"If we were in their situation right now, we would be very upset and not want to make any more mistakes."

The Pistons have to get their minds right, utilize their home court, forget about everything beyond their control and find a way to slow Ginobili, who has torched them for 52 points over the first two games, abusing Tayshaun Prince like no one we've ever seen.

"He's not giving us any problems," said a delusional Ben Wallace. "We're giving ourselves problems."

Of course, man. Whatever helps you sleep at night. We're fresh out of excuses, though.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/8559381

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
god dang that is a great article, thanks.

Of course, man. Whatever helps you sleep at night. We're fresh out of excuses, though.

:lmao2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
The Pistons will still win this thing.

I think the Pistons will make it a series, but as far as winning this thing, uh huh, ok...:rolleyes: :D

Here's my problem with the Pistons. I like them, bu ttheir play the last few games, even in the Miami series, has been as if they can turn it on whenever they want to. I haven't seen that sense of urgency that I've seen from other teams. I haven't seem them come in trying to battle w/o losing focus.

This article called it, they feel them being down 0-2 has nothing to do with what the Spurs did to them. It's what they did to themselves. Please. The Spurs sliced them up from beginning to end and never let up. When you lose, say you lost, and the other team had something to do with it. I expect them to come out swing in Det, but that's a big hole to climb and I expect the Spurs to keep filling it w/dirt.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Detroit isn't doing an effective job proving that the Eastern Conference is back. That Finals last year is looking like a fluke. Malone was out most of it, and Bryant and others were hurt, so I guess Detroit played at the right time. I watched some of the Miami/Detroit games along with these Finals and I thought the Spurs had tougher competition with Denver and Seattle in the early rounds.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
As I stated when the Pistons were down 2-0.

- Mike G.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
One thing that needs mentioning is the fact that Detroit must still win one (or maybe even two) games in San Antonio. A feat they have not accomplished in these playoffs or all season. On the road, Detroit becomes a different animal than they are at home. They are nearly unbeatable at home with a record of 9-2 this post-season, yet their road record stinks: 4-6 or something like that..

But I don't want it to come down to the last 2 games! Detroit is more than capable of winning a game in SA! If you are San Antonio they better play like their lives depended on it in the next game!

GO SPURS GO!!! ;)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
As I stated when the Pistons were down 2-0.

- Mike G.
I'm not going to disagree with you at this point. My Spurs are looking pretty pathetic.

I will say, though, that if the Pistons are going to win, I think it will have to be in 6... if San Antonio can right the ship and win one of the next two, I think they'll hold on. But I think it's just as likely that they'll continue to slide down and drop the next two in a row.

Very disappointing to see them playing with such little heart in the last game. I thought those days were past them.

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
we (spurs) have to go to the basket and get the pistons in foul trouble and take their agresiveness out of them.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
jacs said:
we (spurs) have to go to the basket and get the pistons in foul trouble and take their agresiveness out of them.
It's been a much different game since the pistons have been MAKING SHOTS. It gives them confidence and the Spurs have reacted pathetically to the challenge.

They just need to saddle up in adversity and find some balls. This feeling sorry for themselves once the chips are down is not going to cut it.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Don't write my SPURS off just yet. There is a lot of basketball to be played!

The great bald opinionated one (Charles Barkley,) has often said that, "the series don't start until the home team loses a game on its own floor."

SERIES STARTS SUNDAY!!!!!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I'm not going to disagree with you at this point. My Spurs are looking pretty pathetic.

I will say, though, that if the Pistons are going to win, I think it will have to be in 6... if San Antonio can right the ship and win one of the next two, I think they'll hold on. But I think it's just as likely that they'll continue to slide down and drop the next two in a row.

Very disappointing to see them playing with such little heart in the last game. I thought those days were past them.

No joke, they are acting like the Spurs that used to get so demoralized when the Lakers were beating on them. This habit of the Spurs to blow 2-0 leads is getting a little disturbing. Hopefully it ends up like the Sonics series and not the Lakers series last year.

I'll say this, if Detroit wants to win the Finals, they better win game 5 because the next 2 are in San Antonio and the Spurs rarely lose at home. They have an unbelievable record at home the last few years. No way Detroit can win both of those.

We get to see Pop prove he is a Hall of Fame coach. I've always blamed these ship sinkings on Pop. It might not be fair but I think it's your responsibility as a coach to take control and not let the team fall apart like it did in Game 4. They all looked mentally beaten. Sad, sad memories of the mid-90's against the Rockets, last year against the Lakers, and so on.... :(

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Watching that footage of Tim sulking on the bench needing encouragement from Pop made me feel like the Pistons had beaten him mentally. He was so frustrated and distraught, that he just had to put his head down and sulk.

It was the PERFECT TIME for Tim Duncan to get himself EJECTED from the game. There was that horrible miss of a call when Ben raked his arm early in the game, and that was not the time to do it. But, in the second half, I think there were a couple of times where Tim got fouled and did not get the call. Even though they were not as egregious as the Ben Wallace "steal/hack," when the game was out of hand and the Pistons were about around 20, it would have been good to see Tim Duncan DEFIANT and egging the officials to throw him out of the game. Challenge the officials and call the crap and make them kick you out!

As great as Tim Duncan is and as classy and non-flashy and unassuming as he is, when your team gets beat that badly, as the leader (silent or not), Tim needed to give the team a boost or a lift for game 5. Not playing for the last 6 minutes and sulking on the bench (in my personal opinion) was not a good way to do it.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
The thing about the Spurs is that they just aren't very aggressive. They don't put guys on the floor, they don't intimidate anyone in the paint, they don't put anyone down. Tim Duncan just isn't the kind of guy that takes things too personal and puts guys on the floor. Ben Wallace is, and that's why he elevated his game the last couple days. He took it personal and ever since, Spurs have been flying all over the place left and right. Shaq takes it personally, which is why nobody dunks on Shaq. He may not always win, but he does win most of the time and does have a lot more pride than Tim in getting dunked on. Hakeem took it personal and that's why he is considered one of the greats. MJ, you Know Jordan took it personal!

Spurs need to stop with the "robotic emotionless" mindset and start taking it personal or else we will be talking about how the Spurs "choked" 2 years in a row being up 2-0.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Tim can't let these guys push him around anymore. A good swift elbow to Ben's head on one of Tim's post moves should make Ben back off a bit.

Also, Tim should take a page out of Ben's book and use the Carl Malone karate chop to see how Ben likes it.

I know this is risking a foul, but you have to send a message.

As Avery Johnson once saide, "I will not be mishandled!".

A strong dose of Tony Massenburg knocking people down would be nice, but won't happen,Pop wouldn't allow it. I predicted Spurs in 6, but I thought they would at least show up for the games in Detroit. Sadly, they have not.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
As Avery Johnson once saide, "I will not be mishandled!".

Just what the Doctor ordered. A spoonful of The Little General's Ragin' Cajun mentality. I wish AJ were still on the team at times like this.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
I love the spurs and I think they've done a great job in the playoffs (aside from these last two games) but someone has to be telling them to get with it....
cause damn!

The Spurs needed Someone to spark Something.

If Tim was so frustrated that he couldn't contribute on the court, he might as well get himself ejected.

(I'm not advocating this, but would a flagrant foul against Ben or Rasheed be out of the question? Just as long as Tim doesn't get suspended....) ;)

A foul for a foul, a goal for a goal....GO SPURS GO!!!

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu-Bu Big Shot Rob!!!

This was the test your balls game! I've never seen anyone recover from a performance like the one Horry dropped on Detroit and he's gonna be pretty hyped for game 6!
He just gave everyone else a shot of "Lets do this thang!" lol.

I knew this team was too good to get humiliated a third time in Detroit! This team has shown too much this season, to go out like everyone was saying they would.

GO SPURS GO!!!