Exercising my right to vacillate

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Table fans "oscillate."
Cowboys fans "vacillate."

I used to be a big proponent of league parity, back when there wasn't any. Now, it's starting to make me sick.

Fifty-five minutes into the Commander game, our offense looked dynamic and full of imagination and our defense looked like it was already playoff-caliber. Joe Gibbs looked like a befuddled old man with no answers. Two games later, our defense looks average, our offense looks schizophrenic with a side-order of boring and the Commanders are undefeated.

I had no gripe with Payton's play-calling until today. Now I reserve the right to vacillate and call for his head for not throwing downfield until the fourth quarter, when it was too late;

I was ready to lynch Zimmer after the lame idea of using Ware to jam; then he adjusted and locked down Moss the rest of the game. Nobody would've predicted we'd lose if we held Moss scoreless and the Raiders to 16 points.

Nobody can blame us for changing our opinion about what's wrong with this team when it changes week-to-week...

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of exercising your will on the opposition. When this team started going downhill, I always felt one of the biggest problems was its inability to close the door on teams.

That problem still exists. Which is weird because in saying that, I think this team has shown a tremendous amount of mental toughness. It's almost as if we're better offensively and defensively when we're trailing by 10 than we are when we're tied 0-0. I haven't checked, but have we even scored a first-quarter point this year? It seems like we're solid defensively at making in-game adjustments, but our opening game plan just seems terrible at times.

The thing that frustrates me offensively is that we have displayed a lot of firepower and just seem too stubborn to utilize it through two-to-three quarters of the game.

I've always believed Parcells has been great at adjusting his philosophy to fit the talent on his team. I don't feel like he's really doing that right now, though. I think Bledsoe is functional enough to where you don't have to worry about him tripping over his own feet if he's given a little more responsibility than currently given.

I fear Parcells simply still doesn't trust his assistants, which is having a negative impact on his coaching and micro-management of the team.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Table fans "oscillate."
Cowboys fans "vacillate."

I used to be a big proponent of league parity, back when there wasn't any. Now, it's starting to make me sick.

Fifty-five minutes into the Commander game, our offense looked dynamic and full of imagination and our defense looked like it was already playoff-caliber. Joe Gibbs looked like a befuddled old man with no answers. Two games later, our defense looks average, our offense looks schizophrenic with a side-order of boring and the Commanders are undefeated.

I had no gripe with Payton's play-calling until today. Now I reserve the right to vacillate and call for his head for not throwing downfield until the fourth quarter, when it was too late;

I was ready to lynch Zimmer after the lame idea of using Ware to jam; then he adjusted and locked down Moss the rest of the game. Nobody would've predicted we'd lose if we held Moss scoreless and the Raiders to 16 points.

Nobody can blame us for changing our opinion about what's wrong with this team when it changes week-to-week...
I'm sure the Raider fans are sick of seeing those two receiver sets. I'm amazed Norv Turner isn't using Moss to his fullest potential and the guy still had 130 yards or whatever.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
I'm a big proponent of exercising your will on the opposition. When this team started going downhill, I always felt one of the biggest problems was its inability to close the door on teams.

That problem still exists. Which is weird because in saying that, I think this team has shown a tremendous amount of mental toughness. It's almost as if we're better offensively and defensively when we're trailing by 10 than we are when we're tied 0-0. I haven't checked, but have we even scored a first-quarter point this year? It seems like we're solid defensively at making in-game adjustments, but our opening game plan just seems terrible at times.

The thing that frustrates me offensively is that we have displayed a lot of firepower and just seem too stubborn to utilize it through two-to-three quarters of the game.

I've always believed Parcells has been great at adjusting his philosophy to fit the talent on his team. I don't feel like he's really doing that right now, though. I think Bledsoe is functional enough to where you don't have to worry about him tripping over his own feet if he's given a little more responsibility than currently given.

I fear Parcells simply still doesn't trust his assistants, which is having a negative impact on his coaching and micro-management of the team.

That's some good analysis Chad.

And if that's the case-- the results aren't going to be pretty.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sitting Bull said:
I had no gripe with Payton's play-calling until today.
I have not stopped complaining about it all season. The Washington game especially. At least 5 completions on 3rd down and one on 4th down short of the first down. Stupid.

notherbob

Reaction score
Dale said:

Yeah, I've been noticing that, too and it's a little troubling. This is still a new team with new coaches, new D-scheme and a lotta new vets and rookies. As they gain experience together, things will improve. Maybe then BP will gain enough confidence in them to open up a little. Better be soon, though, the Boys have a fairly tough schedule.