Expanding Pure Football Player Roles

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not a good article. It could have been a good article if he researched and written properly but it's full of rubbish cheerleading and bad points. Sure, Mikey makes a comment about Leupke, I've now seen a dozen pundits and 100 posters make the same argument. But while Mikey had the opportunity to research it by walking down the hallway and asking a coach how they felt about Leupke and what elements they might incorporate he just regurgitates other people's opinions. I guarantee he hasn't studied game footage and come to that conclusion himself.

And then there is the patterned Mikey condescension to the fans:

"Now there seems the vacant left guard spot is overly creating concern out there. But you see drafted offensive tackle Josh Ball now competing for the starting guard spot. You see 2021 drafted guard Matt Farniok, having been moved to center as a rookie, now back competing at guard. Oh, and this year's fifth-round pick, Asim Richards, who pronounces his name "Awesome," a tackle at North Carolina, taking snaps during the rookie minicamp at left guard, and wouldn't it be something if indeed he was "awesome" there."
  • Josh Ball is making the move as a last-ditch effort to stay on an NFL roster
  • Farniok is a former 6th-round pick that has been mediocre at best in cameos
  • Asim is a 5th-round pick and which should typically start
Fobbing LG as a position people are "overly creating concern" about is disingenuous. None of the options he's stated can realistically be considered solutions. They are backups and a hail Mary's chance of starting. I'm all for a healthy churning of the bottom of the roster to uncork the next Terrence Steele (which is what this is) but they aren't options any impartial persons serve up them as solutions and say fans should be concerned? And there in lies the problem, Mikey is never even close to impartial.
So shall we let him critique your post then so it can be picked apart in biased eyes as well.

It was a decent article summarizing news that many fans may not have seen otherwise.

You typed a long post to really say nothing except you don’t like Mickey. Typical.

T-RO

Reaction score
I would love to be a fly on the wall in Frisco and see what "work" guys like Mickey go on an average day.

this article seems like a cut'n-paste from our own Bob Hayes post a week ago.

Not to single Mickey out. Be curious to watch others on the staff in marketing and media.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-expanding-pure-football-player-roles

Actually a good article here, but I know the usuals will not read it.

Some good quotes by Dan Quinn about the versatility and puts a new light on the dreaded "flex" players.
Also talks about players on offense and any dual roles / positions they can line up.

About Hunter Luepke as he writes:
"And watch out for undrafted rookie fullback Hunter Luepke, the newest Swiss Army knife from North Dakota State, where he played fullback, tailback, tight end, caught passes and even took Wildcat snaps at quarterback. Oh, and guarantee you if Luepke makes the team he will be a constant on special teams."
Sounds like they have Jim Jensen plans for Luepke.

DanA

Reaction score
So shall we let him critique your post then so it can be picked apart in biased eyes as well.

It was a decent article summarizing news that many fans may not have seen otherwise.

You typed a long post to really say nothing except you don’t like Mickey. Typical.
Go for it. I’m the first to admit I make mistakes and don’t see things right all the time. But I’m not sure it was all that biased. Or do you see no problem with Ball, Farniok and Richards as options to start at left guard?

DanA

Reaction score
Sounds like they have Jim Jensen plans for Luepke.
That’s the problem, we still have no idea of coaches plans. This is just Mikey’s opinion on someone to watch based off what he did in college. There’s no indication the coaches see it that way.