Explain to me why we are cheap

Mobinvans

Reaction score
A lot changed when Stephen took over. After years of Jerry blowing the cap, Stephen took over managing it. IMO the Patriots approach during that time had a significant impact on how Stephen approaches the cap and player management. New England never over paid for players and always signed vets for minimal contracts. They primarily built through the draft and did not chase players in FA. Essentially the exact opposite of Jerry's approach.

Easy to do with Tom Brady

we don’t have Tom Brady

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Honestly their overall blueprint isn't terrible on its own. Solid logic behind most of it.

The disconnect happens because it requires better overall coaching than Jerry's ego will allow.

Facts...name the last HC we hired that was then Hired as an HC by another team......WE seem to hire Coaches that have no other options.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Facts...name the last HC we hired that was then Hired as an HC by another team......WE seem to hire Coaches that have no other options.
Number one criteria...

Be good enough to win but not to a point where it may take any credit away from Jerry.

The two times we have had real HCs we have had success. The rest of the time was Jerry puppets.

Yet he tells us he will do anything to win.

plymkr

Reaction score
1186814018.0.jpg
He's starting to look like the "IT" clown with that smile. That's Rowdy's smile. We're doomed

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
What cap space? The Cowboys spend right up to the cap every year..

It's not how much you spend...it's how you spend it....do you waste it on bad things and then you don't have enough for the good things.? That's the problem. When you don't really know talent evaluation, you get gun shy and spend on things you are familiar with, which is your own players who have failed you before. Let's throw more money at them, maybe they get better.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
A lot changed when Stephen took over. After years of Jerry blowing the cap, Stephen took over managing it. IMO the Patriots approach during that time had a significant impact on how Stephen approaches the cap and player management. New England never over paid for players and always signed vets for minimal contracts. They primarily built through the draft and did not chase players in FA. Essentially the exact opposite of Jerry's approach.

Your premise that a lot changed when Stephen took over is not true. They still overpay players to the detriment of building a solid team. They overpaid Dak, Zeke, Cooper, and Dlaw. They wasted money extending Jaylon Smith when they didn’t have to. Now they’ve franchised and average TE who can’t block for 11 million. These things all happened with Stephen. The one thing Stephen is maybe most directly responsible for is not paying real money for quality free agents but that just leads back to having limited money from overpaying. Stephen is cheap to make sure there is enough money to overpay. They can never follow the Patriots approach because the Pats know how to evaluate football talent - they don’t. And Stephen also stands behind the mediocre coaches they hire.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Yeah we definitely aren't cheap because every one of our free agents that we keep gets signed to a deal it's always at the top of their position. Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Martin, Tyron, Frederick, etc.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’m just a simple man.

The Cowboys are the richest team in the NFL……but we are cheap

What are we saving this cap space for?
This is the 1,000,000.00 question!!!
The proverbial elephant in the room!

Jerry despite other faults was never cheap.
This seems to have come about since Stephen has had greater influence.

I think more than being cheap, Stephen is just very adverse to taking risk.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I’m just a simple man.

It’s 2 things - 1. Dallas thinks they are smarter than everyone else. 2. Stephen Jones is a cheap, arrogant buffoon.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m just a simple man.

Actually they spend as much as any other franchise. They just pay the wrong people the wrong amounts.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m just a simple man.

Stephen's worst nightmare is apparently not having the cap space to execute his dad's football vision.

Mannix

Reaction score
What FA that has been signed this year and for that amt of money did everyone want?

100% should have held onto Gregory, Wilson, and Collins.....I guess they were too concerned about hanging onto Noah Brown, and paying Schultz 3x more than he is worth.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
I’m just a simple man.

We backed ourselves in the corner with some bad contracts and maybe they are just going to push some of the left over salary cap saving into future years to pay guys like Diggs. Maybe they are feeling burned by some of the bad choices they made in the past. Maybe they are putting all their trust in Will and his drafting rather than going the free agent route.

conner01

Reaction score
I’m just a simple man.

What cap space are we saving?
It doesn’t matter how rich a team is for the most part. They all have the same amount to spend
And we pretty much spend the limit every year

ultron

Reaction score
I’m just a simple man.

The whole division is rebuilding, this team has enough talent to make it to the playoffs and as long as they stay healthy, we have enough talent to get the job done.