Extending Dak = Drafting Ellis over Moss = No Excitement

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes the Cowboys ever made was drafting Greg Ellis over Moss. The Cowboys are staring at another Moss-like decision. I remember screaming at Jerry for not taking Moss. The whole fan base wanted Moss. Moss was exciting, a highlight reel. No matter what Ellis did, he was boring in comparison. I just did an internet search on Greg Ellis and I get some actor, not even the football player.

If the Cowboys extend Dak or let him play the final year here, there will be no excitement in the draft, at camp, and throughout the season. It will be the same blah, blah, blah we saw the past 7 years. Same vanilla preseason games, same press conference cliches, same Dak dominating garbage teams and choking against good teams.

New and different is exciting. No one wants to watch the same movie for the seventh time with the same leading character, with a slightly different cast, and with a slightly different anticlimactic ending.

The Cowboys with Dak at the helm risk boring the fans.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So why is it different this off season than say a year or two or three years ago?

Nothing has changed. Same Dak. Same HC. Same leading character with a slightly different cast.
Moving on from Dak was not possible the past two years due to the salary cap. The opportunity is there. There was also the hope that a better defense would be the cure. But even that was not enough the two previous years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not a mistake. Ellis was a good player. The mistake was not putting people around him. Look at how Ellis broke out in 07 when he finally had someone on the other side of him who was a threat. This revisionist crapp is weak.

Creeper

Reaction score
If you recall, when the Cowboys drafted Ellis Jerry made a comment to the effect he would let Ellis babysit his kids. The Cowboys back then had a reputation from the escapades of some former Cowboys like Michael Irvin. Moss had a reputation coming out of college and Jerry wanted to avoid that kind of stuff. I am not defending Jerry. Moss was the right pick. I would never draft a defensive linemen who could babysit my kids. I want defensive linemen that are big and mean. I would worry they would eat my kids!

SackMaster

Reaction score
For as much of a "mistake" taking Ellis over Moss was, they both still ended up with the same amount of Super Bowl wins. Zero.

At least for Ellis, he almost exclusively played on terrible teams. Moss on the other hand was on 2 of the 5 best offenses the NFL has ever seen. And still, both ended up with Zero Rings.

So if Moss didn't win a Super Bowl playing with the Vikings record setting offense, or the undefeated until the Super Bowl Patriots, I doubt he would have won anything in Dallas.

JMHO

Loso86

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes the Cowboys ever made was drafting Greg Ellis over Moss. The Cowboys are staring at another Moss-like decision. I remember screaming at Jerry for not taking Moss. The whole fan base wanted Moss. Moss was exciting, a highlight reel. No matter what Ellis did, he was boring in comparison. I just did an internet search on Greg Ellis and I get some actor, not even the football player.

If the Cowboys extend Dak or let him play the final year here, there will be no excitement in the draft, at camp, and throughout the season. It will be the same blah, blah, blah we saw the past 7 years. Same vanilla preseason games, same press conference cliches, same Dak dominating garbage teams and choking against good teams.

New and different is exciting. No one wants to watch the same movie for the seventh time with the same leading character, with a slightly different cast, and with a slightly different anticlimactic ending.

Well if yoi don't yoi run the same team back minus some because of money

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think niners and eagles have proven that if you have a stout defense and can run the football, you can get to a Super Bowl. Paying big money to a QB is not the path, unless the QB is Mahomes or some other generational talent. Dak is not the guy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

IMG-0424.gif

Adreme

Reaction score
For as much of a "mistake" taking Ellis over Moss was, they both still ended up with the same amount of Super Bowl wins. Zero.

At least for Ellis, he almost exclusively played on terrible teams. Moss on the other hand was on 2 of the 5 best offenses the NFL has ever seen. And still, both ended up with Zero Rings.

So if Moss didn't win a Super Bowl playing with the Vikings record setting offense, or the undefeated until the Super Bowl Patriots, I doubt he would have won anything in Dallas.

JMHO
There are a lot of oddities in this statement.

First the Eagles defense last year was not good. It was a mirage built off of playing against bad QBs. When they even faced average QBs they got lit up. They just managed to play enough bad QBs and backups to pad their stats as a defense.

Second, the 49ers showed one way to get there. The Ravens paying Lamar 52m and the Chiefs paying Mahomes 45m and the Lions paying Goff, showed another way to get there. The only consistent rule for winning in the playoffs is have one of the 10-15 QBs who are talented enough to do so and put as much talent around them as possible. The teams that manage to get the most talent around those QBs win. That has been the only consistent way to win in the playoffs over the years. The Cowboys have the QB issue resolved but now need to focus on not having gaping holes in the team to the point where teams know "oh your middle is open because you have a S playing LB".

SackMaster

Reaction score
I still say to this day had we taken Moss Troy would have played another 5 years….
I doubt that considering Aikman was concussion prone, even in the Super Bowl years.

In today's NFL, he could have possibly played longer, but he played when QBs were still considered football players and not investments, so he just broke down.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

and this is different from the past 28 years, how?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
So why is it different this off season than say a year or two or three years ago?

Nothing has changed. Same Dak. Same HC. Same leading character with a slightly different cast.

This is a simple answer. We didn’t know what could be gotten out of Dak we had an idea, and MM got him to play his best most efficient year, but he reverted in the playoffs. You can’t look to next year and say awesome I’m pumped for next year. If he played lights out and the team failed it’s an entirely different story. But that didn’t happen, and all we got was well we already know how it’s going to play out. We know it’s not the scheme. Only 1 player left. So yes it’s absolutely a different feeling from years past.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Not a mistake. Ellis was a good player. The mistake was not putting people around him. Look at how Ellis broke out in 07 when he finally had someone on the other side of him who was a threat. This revisionist crapp is weak.
Ellis was a JAG most of his career. Taking him over Moss was one of the top 5 dumbest Jerry moves ever.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

JMHO
Do that draft over right now today with all that history and 32 of 32 GMs take Moss, even Jerry.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How the Cowboys continue the next 4-5 years depends solely and squarely on their Decision concerning the Dakster.
Will we waste a 3rd talent pool of talent for this most inept choking machine of a QB?
Never has a player polarized to this extent this franchise from the locker room to the fan base!
Jerry is correct on 1 thing.............We go as Dak's issue goes.