Extending Dak = Drafting Ellis over Moss = No Excitement

fivetwos

Reaction score
People acting like 12-5 is guaranteed when the OL is older and Quinn just left. Our defense led the league in TOs 2 of those 4 years and was top 5 this last season. That’s why we were a 12 win team, plus the NFC East sucked. The Eagles don’t have incompetent coaches now either.

The trajectory is down with Dak. Now the league has a year of tape on the dumbed down Texas west coast offense as well, meaning they know MMs tendencies.
Prescott and Garrett each made careers out of the NFC East being awful for about ever.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes the Cowboys ever made was drafting Greg Ellis over Moss. The Cowboys are staring at another Moss-like decision. I remember screaming at Jerry for not taking Moss. The whole fan base wanted Moss. Moss was exciting, a highlight reel. No matter what Ellis did, he was boring in comparison. I just did an internet search on Greg Ellis and I get some actor, not even the football player.

If the Cowboys extend Dak or let him play the final year here, there will be no excitement in the draft, at camp, and throughout the season. It will be the same blah, blah, blah we saw the past 7 years. Same vanilla preseason games, same press conference cliches, same Dak dominating garbage teams and choking against good teams.

New and different is exciting. No one wants to watch the same movie for the seventh time with the same leading character, with a slightly different cast, and with a slightly different anticlimactic ending.

The Cowboys with Dak at the helm risk boring the fans.
Greg Ellis was a good player here for the Cowboys, but no one knows what Moss's trajectory would have looked like as a Cowboy considering Aikman would go on to miss time the next several years, retire and then the Cowboys spent the next 5-6 seasons looking for their QB. By then Moss would be an 8-9 year veteran.

However, its interesting to play what if scenarios. 1998's early playoff exit may look different and maybe that is the Cowboy's last deep playoff run before the wheels started coming off. One thing we can say wouldn't have happened is the Joey Galloway trade. With those extra picks does that make them more competitive if they selected the right guys? Maybe they end up drafting Drew Brees in 2001 with their 1st rounder? Who knows but at the time the Cowboys were a team in decline.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you recall, when the Cowboys drafted Ellis Jerry made a comment to the effect he would let Ellis babysit his kids. The Cowboys back then had a reputation from the escapades of some former Cowboys like Michael Irvin. Moss had a reputation coming out of college and Jerry wanted to avoid that kind of stuff. I am not defending Jerry. Moss was the right pick. I would never draft a defensive linemen who could babysit my kids. I want defensive linemen that are big and mean. I would worry they would eat my kids!
No, he wasn't. Ellis was the right pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes the Cowboys ever made was drafting Greg Ellis over Moss. The Cowboys are staring at another Moss-like decision. I remember screaming at Jerry for not taking Moss. The whole fan base wanted Moss. Moss was exciting, a highlight reel. No matter what Ellis did, he was boring in comparison. I just did an internet search on Greg Ellis and I get some actor, not even the football player.

If the Cowboys extend Dak or let him play the final year here, there will be no excitement in the draft, at camp, and throughout the season. It will be the same blah, blah, blah we saw the past 7 years. Same vanilla preseason games, same press conference cliches, same Dak dominating garbage teams and choking against good teams.

New and different is exciting. No one wants to watch the same movie for the seventh time with the same leading character, with a slightly different cast, and with a slightly different anticlimactic ending.

100%

Can’t get excited about this team until they get to the playoffs regardless of what they do during the season.

Sonny Koufax

Reaction score
Yeah let’s go back to this
IMG-4617.jpg
It’s the playoff failures that have become the pattern. Regular season wins are only as good as the playoff wins that follow.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
More like signing Sanders with less impact and no Super Bowl. His contract make us gut the team by 97.