Extremely Rare Photo Of Emmitt & Barry Together

aria

Reaction score
Emmitt couldn’t touch Barry’s moves. I’m a huge Emmitt fan but that’s just a total homer comment. Barry didn’t have the same O-line and retired early in his career or his numbers might’ve been better had he played as long as Emmitt.
I’m too lazy to look it up but I believe it took Emmitt a couple years longer just to reach Barry’s total rushing yards and yeah he played behind a much worse O line and didn’t have the same threats Emmitt did to take pressure off him.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’m too lazy to look it up but I believe it took Emmitt a couple years longer just to reach Barry’s total rushing yards and yeah he played behind a much worse O line and didn’t have the same threats Emmitt did to take pressure off him.
Emmitt doesnt get enough credit for his vision. Cant even tell you how many times I found myself screaming at DeMarci Murray for just running head down into a pile when he had a huge hole to his side.

Smith had amazing vision and had heart that Sanders could only dream about. You thtink Barry Sanders would have kept playing like Emmitt did in the game he seperated his shoulder in? Hell no, Sanders would have been in the locker room. Barry was an incredible runner, but Id take Emmitt all day.

cej757

Reaction score
I still remember when Barry made Rod Woodson tear his Acl when he made a move on Rod when Rod was trying to tackle him. Rod eventually came back to play the Cowboys in the Super bowl that year.

aria

Reaction score
Emmitt doesnt get enough credit for his vision. Cant even tell you how many times I found myself screaming at DeMarci Murray for just running head down into a pile when he had a huge hole to his side.

Smith had amazing vision and had heart that Sanders could only dream about. You thtink Barry Sanders would have kept playing like Emmitt did in the game he seperated his shoulder in? Hell no, Sanders would have been in the locker room. Barry was an incredible runner, but Id take Emmitt all day.
That’s fine, I’m not saying Emmitt wasn’t great. I just got done commenting in a Zeke thread about him and Barkley...just like Emmitt and Barry and Zeke and Barkley, I think both are very close together but I would take Barry and Barkley over Emmitt and Zeke but it’s pretty close IMO.

Pretty easy to have vision when he actually has holes and running lanes to see compared to being swallowed up as soon as the ball is snapped. Emmitt wouldn’t have had near the success in Detroit just like Zeke wouldn’t have had near his success in NY, they are/were both great but benefited tremendously from top O lines which neither Sanders or Barkley have had.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
These three running backs, Thurman Thomas, Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders, played for the OSU Cowboys at the same time. Emmitt left after one year so he could get playing time. But what a combo right?

Beaker42

Reaction score

I agree with all that. If Emmitt had had Barry’s (or Walter’s) moves, he’d have had 25K yards.

PoetTree

Reaction score
Emmitt couldn’t touch Barry’s moves. I’m a huge Emmitt fan but that’s just a total homer comment. Barry didn’t have the same O-line and retired early in his career or his numbers might’ve been better had he played as long as Emmitt.

From an old post of mine:

What people who constantly bang their heads in this argument with the idea that Barry had no offensive talent around him ignore, is that he had multiple offensive pro-bowlers around him from 1994-1997 -- and that the Lions actually possessed the NFL's top-rated offense in 1995, and one of the top-rated offenses in the league from 1994-1997.

Those teams had a wealth of offensive talent, including (in 1995) a pair of receivers, Herman Moore & Brett Perriman, who became the first duo in NFL *history* to record 100-catch seasons on the same team, in the same year -- Moore finishing with a then-NFL record 123 grabs, and Perriman ending the season with 108. Not bad, by ANY means.

Add to that pro-bowl tackle Lomas Brown (who made the pro-bowl for 6 straight years), and budding pro-bowl center Kevin Glover... who wouldn't be awarded his first trip to Honolulu 'til 1996... and a quarterback, Scott Mitchell, who passed for 4,338 yards & 32 touchdowns that year... and it's a joke to say that Sanders didn't have any offensive talent around him.

And how many yards & touchdowns did Barry get in 1995?

1,500 yards, 11 TDs, a 4.8 yard-per-carry average.

And how did Emmitt do in the same season?

1,773 yards, 25 TDs, a 4.7 yard-per-carry average.

The Lions had the #1 rated offense in the LEAGUE that year.

Emmitt still put up significantly better numbers than Barry.

Barry was surrounded by a WEALTH of offensive talent; talent which broke NFL records for receptions and production from a receiving duo on the same team. Herman Moore was a perennial All-Pro at his position. Brett Perriman & Johnnie Morton were *very* productive complimentary weapons.

And contrary to popular opinion, the Lions were anchored by a pretty good group of linemen upfront; starring perennial All-Pro Lomas Brown, and budding pro-bowl center Kevin Glover. Over the years, the myths about these two lines, Dallas' and the Lions', have grown disproportionate in each direction -- the reputation of those Dallas lines has swelled, while the memory of Detroit's groups has gotten worse over time.

In truth, the Dallas line is not as "great" as their legend would tell, and the Lions' line is not nearly as pitiful as Barry apologists would have you believe. Overall, yes, Dallas had the better o-line. But the margin is not as close to as wide as their respective myths would make ya think.

As Nate Newton said:

"Before Emmitt got here, I was just a big, fat lineman. Now I'm in the pro-bowl every year."

Because, in truth, Emmitt's vision & athleticism is one of the reasons those Dallas lines looked so good. He could see where the holes were, and accelerated through them with a burst almost unparalleled in NFL history. Emmitt wasn't as "nifty" as Barry. No one ever has been. But make no mistake, Smith was a supreme athlete with unbelievable agility, vision, instincts, acceleration, balance and a POWER in the thighs & hips that Barry never possessed.

That's not to take anything away from what Barry could do. But because it's not as flashy, as eye-popping, people often overlook the tremendous runner Emmitt was and how extraordinarily difficult it was to get him on the ground. He could run over you, around you, juke you, spin you, stiff-arm you, flatten you and/or accelerate right by you. And not only you, but often 2, 3 or 4 of your biggest, strongest teammates at the same time.

Smith may not have had all the moves of Sanders. But Emmitt also had gifts Barry didn't. And again, it's not to take anything away from the phenom that Barry was. It's just to give Emmitt his deserved, but often overlooked, due. No, his style wasn't as flashy or highlight-reely. But the man DOMINATED the league for almost his entire career. He had talent. More talent than some give him credit for. Just like Barry had more talent "around" him than those wanting to pimp his legend attribute.

Emmitt is King, no matter how good Barry was at juking.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score

Nope, can't let this one go.

A case can be made that Emmitt Smith is not only the best running back ever but might have been the best NFL player ever (i believe so, he's the best i've seen and i go back to the early 70s).

He was incredible, a true 3 down back that could do it all, run, receive and block, he simply did not come off the field.

He was a touchdown scoring machine in a game where touchdowns determine winning teams, he had no peer as a back.

Barry Sanders, was an electric runner, no question. However, he was often a drive killer by taking huge losses on runs where he tried to create something from nothing. Emmitt simply would not lose yards he was a drive provider, chunk after chunk time after time.

Barry often came out on 3rd down because his pass blocking was poor, Emmitt as mentioned never left the field as he was an excellent blocker so his pass receiving and running skills were still a threat on 3rd down.

Barry generally left the field on goal line situations for bigger backs, his size viewed as detriment down deep. Emmitt was a goal line touchdown phenomenon.

Barry's line in Detroit was a very good one despite myths saying otherwise.

Emmitt was a leader, driving his teammates, never allowing them to let up.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that if you polled all the NFL coaches from that era more than 80% would make Emmitt their back of choice over Barry all things considered.

All in all i simply don't have the time or skills to truly do justice to the Emmitt versus Barry debate, there are people much more gifted than myself who break this down better than i do. Emmitt was the better player without question.

PoetTree

Reaction score
"Barry Sanders is very exciting with the things he can do with the ball in his hands. So, if I'm a fan and I want to watch someone run with the ball, I'd want to watch Barry Sanders. But if I'm a coach and I want to win championships, I'd want Emmitt Smith. He's the greatest running back I've ever seen in my life." --Jimmy Johnson

"Emmitt Smith is the greatest runner the world has ever known." --Warren Sapp

Last edited:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that if you polled all the NFL coaches from that era more than 80% would make Emmitt their back of choice over Barry all things considered.

All in all i simply don't have the time or skills to truly do justice to the Emmitt versus Barry debate, there are people much more gifted than myself who break this down better than i do. Emmitt was the better player without question.
As I mentioned earlier, the reality is that outside of Dallas (and presumably Detroit) Smith and Sanders are viewed to be roughly about equivalent, but if you look at enough “top ten” lists you will see that Sanders usually is consistently higher. Neither of the two are usually considered the “greatest”. That’s almost always Brown or Payton.
Whether it’s because of all of the flashy highlights that leave a lasting memory, the eye-popping numbers or the perception that Sanders had a worse team, the reality is the average fan thinks Barry was a bit better.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Nope, can't let this one go.

A case can be made that Emmitt Smith is not only the best running back ever but might have been the best NFL player ever (i believe so, he's the best i've seen and i go back to the early 70s).

He was incredible, a true 3 down back that could do it all, run, receive and block, he simply did not come off the field.

He was a touchdown scoring machine in a game where touchdowns determine winning teams, he had no peer as a back.

Barry Sanders, was an electric runner, no question. However, he was often a drive killer by taking huge losses on runs where he tried to create something from nothing. Emmitt simply would not lose yards he was a drive provider, chunk after chunk time after time.

Barry often came out on 3rd down because his pass blocking was poor, Emmitt as mentioned never left the field as he was an excellent blocker so his pass receiving and running skills were still a threat on 3rd down.

Barry generally left the field on goal line situations for bigger backs, his size viewed as detriment down deep. Emmitt was a goal line touchdown phenomenon.

Barry's line in Detroit was a very good one despite myths saying otherwise.

Emmitt was a leader, driving his teammates, never allowing them to let up.

The best football player in my life was Jerry Rice. No other receiver was even close. You can argue about Barry and Emmitt... who you putting up against Jerry to debate who is better?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The best football player in my life was Jerry Rice. No other receiver was even close. You can argue about Barry and Emmitt... who you putting up against Jerry to debate who is better?

In 11 seasons, Don Hutson led the entire NFL in receptions 8 times. He led the league in receiving yards 7 times. Led everyone in receiving yards per game 8 times, and receiving TDs a whopping 9 out of 11 seasons.

In an era where rushing the ball overwhelmingly dominated offensive playcalling, Don Hutson led the league in total yards from scrimmage 4 times, and total touchdowns 7 out of 11 seasons. Jerry Rice only led the league in total touchdowns twice in 21 years, and has never led the nfl in total yards form scrimmage... in a SIGNIFICANTLY more pass-happy era.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yeah. One of the commentators said they all went to OSU together during one of the Cowboys/ Bill's Superbowl. I looked it up years ago and an article said we signed a letter of intent to Florida. Decided not to go to Florida because of a coaching change or scheme change. Then went to OSU. So during spring training at OSU he figured he wasn't going to see playing time, so he transfered to Florida.
Its pretty impossible for me to fund that article now so I'll just give in and leave it alone. But I remember the article saying he spent spring training at OSU.

But I remember an in game commentator saying those three guys were at OSU together. And we looked it up decades ago and found an article saying the same thing.

It's hard to prove a guy went to OSU when he didnt play a down for them.

Last edited: