Ezekiel Elliott contract isn't bad at all

Flamma

Reaction score
It did yeah.

First one I ever heard of where a seasons pay becomes fully guaranteed at the beginning of the league year BEFORE the upcoming one, virtually guaranteeing a no cut situation.

In fact it fully guarantees it. Forget the dead money, they would actually need to fork over game checks every week for 2021 with him not on the team to not have to have the same for 2022.

I'm not the only one apparently. The info in the OP is completely wrong, and the title couldnt be further from true.

Yeah, I'm totally with ya. Never seen this before on an NFL contract either.

Guys, take a breath for a second. I fully understand if you don't like Zeke being paid what he was guaranteed. That's what we fans do, we give our opinions. I kind of liked the structure, but I also realize he may never live up to it.

Keep a few things in mind. Scenario #1. If you are anti extending Zeke, this was a bad deal. Some wanted to let him play out his 5, tag him maybe once, and cut the cord. But he held out. Now it's up to Jerry to decide whether or not he's worth it.

Scenario #2. If you're pro extending Zeke at some point it is best to extend him after his 3rd year. That is best for the Cowboys. Waiting only means you intend to employ scenario #1.

Player are given guaranteed money. There are only a few ways to do it. Signing bonus is one of them, and guaranteed seasons are the other. The way Zeke has his contract structured is not only not unheard of, but very popular throughout the league. Countless players have the same thing going on.

75boyz

Reaction score
Guys, take a breath for a second. I fully understand if you don't like Zeke being paid what he was guaranteed. That's what we fans do, we give our opinions. I kind of liked the structure, but I also realize he may never live up to it.

Keep a few things in mind. Scenario #1. If you are anti extending Zeke, this was a bad deal. Some wanted to let him play out his 5, tag him maybe once, and cut the cord. But he held out. Now it's up to Jerry to decide whether or not he's worth it.

Scenario #2. If you're pro extending Zeke at some point it is best to extend him after his 3rd year. That is best for the Cowboys. Waiting only means you intend to employ scenario #1.

Player are given guaranteed money. There are only a few ways to do it. Signing bonus is one of them, and guaranteed seasons are the other. The way Zeke has his contract structured is not only not unheard of, but very popular throughout the league. Countless players have the same thing going on.

Definite fan of the talent. Not so much the behavior. Always prefer contractual guarantees to match on field performance. So far the pay to performance ratio has not met the grossly overpaid category of some current team mates on this team have and could soon be.

Hopefully his performance remains closer to my opinion of equitable pay for play.
Off field antics remain THE main concern as always.

jay94

Reaction score
In my view, Zeke's contract is actually pretty good for the team.

Elliot has a 10.9 million cap hit this year, which he is obviously worth. I think that cap hit is about the same as his 5th year option would have been..

In 2021, #21 has a cap hit of 13.7 million. Granted that is high, but if his play only slightly declines, Zeke will still be worth it.

In 2022, if Zeke's becomes innefective or isn't a RB opposing defenses fear anymore, (or if Pollard becomes the RB1 or we find a diamond in the rough in the 2021 draft) he can be designated as a post-June 1st cut. Doing so, would result in a 4.1 million dead money hit but create 12.4 million in cap savings.

So basically, we have Zeke on the team this year and in 2021. I hope he can reverse the trend of RBs having a short shelf life in recent years, but it is good to know that the front office can release him after the 2021 season he can be released if needed.

(Sorry if this topic seems distasteful given the recent news on Zeke, but just wanted to look at his contract again since it's been almost a year since his deal was done.)

#21 :starspin:

It's terrible. He is an above average rb, with prior to this year the highest paid back in the league. He does nothing special, but being durable.

J12B

Reaction score
It's terrible. He is an above average rb, with prior to this year the highest paid back in the league. He does nothing special, but being durable.

Only 4th best rusher last year in terms of yardage....yeah pretty average

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Same applies to McFadden in 2015. He was playing with terrible Quarterbacks and a missing/injured #1 receiver. People thought it was so bad we needed to spend a 4th overall draft pick to improve the position.

jay94

Reaction score
Same applies to McFadden in 2015. He was playing with terrible Quarterbacks and a missing/injured #1 receiver. People thought it was so bad we needed to spend a 4th overall draft pick to improve the position.

31st penalized offensive line as well, good luck doing anything with an anemic qb with that going against you as well. To the average fan on here volume equates talent.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
31st penalized offensive line as well, good luck doing anything with an anemic qb with that going against you as well. To the average fan on here volume equates talent.
Sad thing is McFadden didn’t even do it on volume. He only had 239 carries. Give him 100 more carries and he is your rushing champ.

aria

Reaction score
Taking into consideration how many times he carried the ball and his O line, yeah...pretty average. Any of the other top 20 RB’s could have done the same, and more, if they were in his situation. Put him behind the Giants O line and you would see exactly how average he really is.

Verdict

Reaction score
His contract was never that bad. Just a boilerplate for arguments by peeps who don't dig into the intricacies of things.

I am ok with the Zeke contract. It is a bargain for what he brings to the team as opposed to Tank’s contract and what he brings to the team.

Way too much importance is placed on a “formula” for specific positions. I would take Zeke and his contract over Tank and his contract any day of the week.

Verdict

Reaction score
Taking into consideration how many times he carried the ball and his O line, yeah...pretty average. Any of the other top 20 RB’s could have done the same, and more, if they were in his situation. Put him behind the Giants O line and you would see exactly how average he really is.

When you just throw that out there cavalierly, keep in mind that he also had Garrett who insisted on going jumbo and packing it in tight and then running it between the tackles AFTER pretty much putting a neon sign out there that said we are running through this gap. Lol

I mean if we are going to be fair, let’s get it all out there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Zeke deal is expensive and if he can help this team win a championship then I have no issue with it. He and the rest will be entering a new era under McCarthy and I look forward to seeing what he can do with this talent.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If this is a the basis of how you assess all players....fantasy and imagination....no wonder.

"Oh but if he played for a different team you'd see how much he sucks".

I bet you don;t even assess all players like this....just the ones you hate. I've not seen you say the same for Dak.

All the players feed off each other. All the plays feed off players, and the play before and the following play. It's a very dynamic thing. Your imagination doesn't always equate to reality.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you just throw that out there cavalierly, keep in mind that he also had Garrett who insisted on going jumbo and packing it in tight and then running it between the tackles AFTER pretty much putting a neon sign out there that said we are running through this gap. Lol

You'll be hard pressed to "get everything out there" and fairness from that one. The Hate is strong.

aria

Reaction score

For good reason, there were several times last year where Zeke couldn’t even get around the edge whereas a player like Pollard or Barkley would have been gone. Zeke is also lackluster in categories such as forced tackles missed, broken tackles, yards after contact, etc. Between the tackles played to his strength if you can even call it that.

Regardless, it’s been shown time and time again that Zeke didn’t face stacked boxes near as much as some of his supporters like to claim and he still had a top 5 run blocking O line 3 out of 4 years which no other RB can claim. He consistently falls short in almost every RB related statistic minus total amount of carries which happens to directly coincide with total yards. Several other RB’s could have done the same for much less.