Twitter: FA CB Steven Nelson speculation

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Nelson could start on half the teams in the league tomorrow. He'll end up on one of them by August, right now it's all just haggling.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Another one of those "I've outplayed my contract and deserve a raise" players.

“I felt, and also my agent felt, that we were due an extension due to the fact that I had outplayed my current contract for the past two years,” Nelson explained. “Given that where the corner market is, there was a lot of high cap numbers on the team going into the offseason. Everybody can put two and two together. Somebody like myself, in my prime, would have thought to help that situation, and an extension would at least be at the front of the line for discussion. But it clearly didn’t go that way for whatever reason. The Steelers wanted to move a different way and thought I was expendable in my prime via trade.”

“I know my value.” Nelson stated. “I know my worth. I just turned 28. Being a five-year starter, a proven starter. I’ve played over a thousand snaps, maybe the only corner who has played a thousand snaps in the last three years. If you’re talking durability and what teams want, you know what you’re going to get.”

“I don’t what to put out the exact teams, but let’s just say about a third of the NFL, a lot of corner-needed teams, have reached out,” Nelson stated.

So even though he was allowed to work out a trade, he failed to find a team to make a deal and was released. Yet, a third of the NFL has inquired about his services.
And he's still unemployed.

Something don't make sense about that at all.
He's asking for way too much $$$$$.

plymkr

Reaction score
Another one of those "I've outplayed my contract and deserve a raise" players.

“I felt, and also my agent felt, that we were due an extension due to the fact that I had outplayed my current contract for the past two years,” Nelson explained. “Given that where the corner market is, there was a lot of high cap numbers on the team going into the offseason. Everybody can put two and two together. Somebody like myself, in my prime, would have thought to help that situation, and an extension would at least be at the front of the line for discussion. But it clearly didn’t go that way for whatever reason. The Steelers wanted to move a different way and thought I was expendable in my prime via trade.”

“I know my value.” Nelson stated. “I know my worth. I just turned 28. Being a five-year starter, a proven starter. I’ve played over a thousand snaps, maybe the only corner who has played a thousand snaps in the last three years. If you’re talking durability and what teams want, you know what you’re going to get.”

“I don’t what to put out the exact teams, but let’s just say about a third of the NFL, a lot of corner-needed teams, have reached out,” Nelson stated.

So even though he was allowed to work out a trade, he failed to find a team to make a deal and was released. Yet, a third of the NFL has inquired about his services.
And he's still unemployed.

Something don't make sense about that at all.
I feel he is one plane ticket to Cabo away from Jerry making him the highest paid CB in league history.

plymkr

Reaction score
After months of being a free agent, suddenly signing Nelson would make him the Cowboys CB1???
Right. Exactly. The other issue I had with this article is the writer said that the Cowboys didn't address the CB needs by not drafting Horn and Surtain. Did he bother to check that Horn and Surtain were off the board when the Cowboys drafted? Also how does he know the Cowboys didn't try and trade up for Horn or Surtain. The article states the Cowboys ignored the CB position by not drafting one of the top CBs. Rubbish, by the time we got to pick the BPA defensively was Parsons. We didn't ignore anything, the draft just didn't fall our way to get Horn or Surtain.

Just like in 1990 we wanted Francis but he was picked ahead of us by the Bengals so we settled for this one guy named Emmitt Smith. Seemed to work out well then and I feel Parsons is going to have a major impact on this team.

This was a trash article

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://sportsnaut.com/steven-nelson-landing-spots-news-contract/

LWR_Recording.png

Last two drafts we've taken CB at 44, 99, 51, 123. A 2nd and 3rd in both drafts. How much resource are we supposed to be pumping into CB?
And we resigned Brown and Lewis for real money as well.

Meanwhile, we've spent squat at S.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I love me some Mike Tomlin. If he let him go after only one year then that's a red flag in my book. He's never made the Pro-Bowl, has only 7 INTs in 6 years, so I don't see how he (whoever wrote that article) can be so certain that he would be better than what we already got. He's a progress stopper, IMO.

i am curious why you love Mike Tomlin? He has one or two playoff wins in a decade. One of them over the bengals in which they had no business winning and got away with a bunch of stuff.

He won with bill cowhers teams and then nothing for a decade.

LittleD

Reaction score
The only item he deserves is a one way bus ticket to Walmart as a stock boy earning 15 dollars an hour.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Sorry, something just doesn't add up with this. I know there's a bunch of guys here that do more player research and know the stats better than I do, but I'd steer clear of this guy. Something just doesn't feel right about him.

You mean the fact that he thinks he's Richard Sherman but it seems like nobody wants to meet his asking price? I'd bring him in cheap, he'd be a good #3 CB behind Diggs and Joseph.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I guess the writer missed we have a 2nd year player on the rise in Diggs, two servicable vets and drafted like 3-4 DBS lOL and brought in two ex DQ Safetys, pretty sure that addressing the spot..

DQ has players to work with..cant fix it all in one offseason and i like the volume of players we have on defense and if this plays out correctly with Parsons and cox helping that front 7 become quicker and making plays up front, the backend will be fine..

the defense was addressed as much as you can in one off season not sure the amount of new players but seems we purged like 40% of the defense , got younger and more athletic..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
https://sportsnaut.com/steven-nelson-landing-spots-news-contract/

LWR_Recording.png
[/QUOTE
Nelson is an ok player, will marginally improve our secondary. Trading up for either Surtain or Horn, would of been a total disaster. Reached for developmental corners? Joseph was perceived as a 1st rd talent that only dropped cause of character concerns. Wright is more of the developmental guy, but early reports have been very encouraging. Adding a Richard Sherman is one thing to help with the development of our prospects, knowing the system, but Nelson is looking for a payday, which he won't receive here.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
5-10 with short 30 5/8 arms, that is not a Dan Quinn cb on the outside. He was a 3rd rnd pick out of Oregon St just like Nahshon Wright.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Kelvin Joseph is a reach and a developmental cornerback, then so was every corner drafted ahead of him. As far as talent, he is on par with Surtain and Horn. He dropped because of character issues....... key word dropped, not a reach

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
i am curious why you love Mike Tomlin? He has one or two playoff wins in a decade. One of them over the bengals in which they had no business winning and got away with a bunch of stuff.

He won with bill cowhers teams and then nothing for a decade.
If people say Switzer won with Jimmy's team then Tomlin won with Cowher's team.