FA CBs

burmafrd

Reaction score
Samuels will want the world; Trufant probably will as well.
Are there any good CBs out there that we could get without an insane contract?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
burmafrd;1906293 said:
Samuels will want the world; Trufant probably will as well.
Are there any good CBs out there that we could get without an insane contract?

trufant is not going anywhere I would imagine.

I dont think we can afford an above average corner in free agency, they will have to come from the draft or be a 3rd or 4th corner type player they are more comfortable with than reeves.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Draft a CB in round 1. Sign someone like Florence to be the 4th CB. Draft a CB in day two to be the 5th CB.

Woods

Reaction score
Here's one,

Springs from Washington will quite possibly be released.

Yes, he's old.

But hear me out.

If we can get him for 1 or 2 years, AND we draft another CB high, we'll be covered for 2008, and by 2009 the draft pick should be either ready to start or at least be the number 3 CB.

I would like a young as possible team, but it's not all bad to have a veteran who can hold the fort down for a year or so.

I admit it's not the IDEAL solution, but I just want to put it out there.

The Pats have done with oldies like Seau, for example. I think Harrison is getting up there as well.

I'm not suggesting we stuff the team with a bunch of 30+ year old players, but IF Springs comes reasonably, he could be a decent option as a number 3 CB for 1 year while our Draft pick gets up to speed.

bysbox1

Reaction score
theebs;1906297 said:
trufant is not going anywhere I would imagine.

I dont think we can afford an above average corner in free agency, they will have to come from the draft or be a 3rd or 4th corner type player they are more comfortable with than reeves.

Seattle may not be able to keep Trufant. I also noticed Charles Tillman is on that list as well.

I bet they try to get in Quentin Jammer since Wade coached him. I also know Dre Bly was there too, but he takes a lot of risks and gets burned a lot.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Woods;1906324 said:
Here's one,

Springs from Washington will quite possibly be released.

Yes, he's old.

But hear me out.

If we can get him for 1 or 2 years, AND we draft another CB high, we'll be covered for 2008, and by 2009 the draft pick should be either ready to start or at least be the number 3 CB.

I would like a young as possible team, but it's not all bad to have a veteran who can hold the fort down for a year or so.

I admit it's not the IDEAL solution, but I just want to put it out there.

The Pats have done with oldies like Seau, for example. I think Harrison is getting up there as well.

I'm not suggesting we stuff the team with a bunch of 30+ year old players, but IF Springs comes reasonably, he could be a decent option as a number 3 CB for 1 year while our Draft pick gets up to speed.

If we were to resign reeves, draft a corner in the first round and sign springs that would be outstanding. Springs for two years would be a nice fit.

The only problem is who are the top two? Are henry and springs okay with being off the field when there are only two corners out there? Can you as a team afford to have so much money tied up in corners, when two of them will be on the sideline?

Woods

Reaction score
theebs;1906341 said:
If we were to resign reeves, draft a corner in the first round and sign springs that would be outstanding. Springs for two years would be a nice fit.

The only problem is who are the top two? Are henry and springs okay with being off the field when there are only two corners out there? Can you as a team afford to have so much money tied up in corners, when two of them will be on the sideline?

The way I see right now, if we did sign Springs, for example, he would upgrade Reeves. I'm assuming Reeves is gone.

So, we'd look like

CB 1 Newman

CB 2 Henry (Springs can compete for starting job)

CB 3 Springs

CB 4 One of the 1st round draft picks - eventually this guy takes Henry's job

CB 5 Ball

CB 6 Oglesby (sp?) competing with a lower round Draft pick.

N Jones is gone as well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If we use a high pick on a corner, which I think we have to and will, there's a decent chance he can work in the nickel right away and later start with Henry coming in on the nickel.

It's kind of like at the WR spot, or in a pitching rotation -- a guy who isn't quite good enough as a 2nd or 3rd guy can be perfectly fine once he's bumped down a spot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I doubt we address CB through FA - we need a first day and a 2nd day pick to come in and compete for the #3 spot.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
i think we will get one through FA. tillman, jammer and florence are my favs that will not break the bank

Woods

Reaction score
abersonc;1906361 said:
I doubt we address CB through FA - we need a first day and a 2nd day pick to come in and compete for the #3 spot.

I don't know . . . . if we truly have Super Bowl asperations in 2008, I'd prefer we get one veteran to replace Reeves and then draft 1-2 guys as well.

Imagine if Henry goes down for a few weeks once again in 2008 (not that hard to imagine, really!). We'd have a rookie starting opposite TNew.

I think we need one of each. One vet, and 1 draft pick (if not 2 draft picks at CB).

ethiostar

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1906377 said:
It shows Romo still as a UFA and doesn't even list Julius Jones, so I am not sure of either it's accuracy or timeliness.

I didn't even notice that. Oh well, i doubt any FA list will be that accurate any how. But, i guess we can start there and verify the availabilty of the players we are interested in.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I hope we draft db's with our first 2 picks. The elite CB talent comes from the draft and rarely from Free agency because teams retain the good ones. Just my $0.02.

ayjackson

Reaction score
ethiostar;1906387 said:
I didn't even notice that. Oh well, i doubt any FA list will be that accurate any how. But, i guess we can start there and verify the availabilty of the players we are interested in.

It shows Dre Bly as a UFA as well and he was extended a year ago when he was traded to the Broncos.

ethiostar

Reaction score
ayjackson;1906394 said:
It shows Dre Bly as a UFA as well and he was extended a year ago when he was traded to the Broncos.

:eek:

Somebody please find a list that's more current! :(