FACT -- Our players are STUPID

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
I sit back and read these comments from the players and coaches and I have to tell you, it absolutely boggles my mind.

I don't have a lot of posts here and anyone here who recognizes my name may know that in the posts I do have, I've been VERY critical of Wade Phillips for a long time.

I still am, and I don't think this team is winning a playoff game with him at the helm. He needs to go.

But so do some of the players.

This is a not a smart roster of football players. It just isn't. They say stupid things, they do stupid things, they commit just completely mind-numbingly stupid penalties. We've seen two completely opposite approaches (Parcells and Phillips) both fail with these players.

It drove me up the wall yesterday to read them all come out and criticize the defensive play calling, talking about how it doesn't make sense and needs to be simplified and less confusing.

These are the EXACT SAME PLAYERS who last year criticized Bill Parcells' vanilla defensive schemes and talked about how excited they were to play under Wade Phillips. Players like Marcus Spears gushed about how such an aggressive defense was going to revitalize his career and bring out the best in this defense.

Fast forward a year, and they don't like it now?

Sometimes I think you can coach guys up all you want, but at some point the onus has to be on them. And frankly, I think we have to come to grips with the fact that some of these players could be coached by a cyborg created out of brain particles from Bill Belichick, Vince Lombardi and Jimmy Johnson and still be epic failures.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I have to agree...they do seem to make alot of bonehead mistakes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agreed and many of us have been saying this.

Blame the coaches all you want but we had a coach that did everything he could to beat it out of these guys and he could never get it done.

This team doesn't know how to play mistake free football.

Thats why Tony Romo is so freaking amazing. Most of the time he can overcome their BS.

A Flozell false start is no big deal when Tony is your QB. If Brad is your QB than your drive just ended.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do come across as stupid, especially on the field of play. Boneheaded penalties and guys making the same mistakes over and over. The Cowboys don't seem to learn from their mistakes. By definition, that is stupid. Being the homer that I am, I keep hoping for this to miraculously change. I can't help it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;2363045 said:
These are the EXACT SAME PLAYERS who last year criticized Bill Parcells' vanilla defensive schemes and talked about how excited they were to play under Wade Phillips. Players like Marcus Spears gushed about how such an aggressive defense was going to revitalize his career and bring out the best in this defense.

Because it ISN'T an aggressive defense that we all thought we would get. This defense has been as vanilla as the defense that was called by Bill Parcells. We are rushing plenty from base packages. We don't play as much cover-2, but we pretty much have no faith in our secondary and play scared from a passing point of view with all these cushions. We also have Greg Ellis playing a lot more coverage than even prior when Parcells was here. We use to complain how Parcells has Ware covering receivers too much, now it isn't only him, it is Ellis.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
For years on this site, back in the day, the discussion raged over coaches versus players. Which has the most pronounced affect on the outcome of games.

I have always been on the side of players. Great coaches inspire, but unless players actually execute, the coach can't run on the field and make them.

Unless you are Woody Hayes.

I see posts all over the messageboards calling for the firing of coaches. I see fans railing on coaches as they enter the buses.

What I do not understand is this. We have the same core players as we did when Parcells was here.

And save for one season where we lit up the league, we have achieved at the same level.

New coaches. Same players.

Maybe it's the players. maybe this team just doesn't have the guys that will strap it on and take what they want.

Now I was never a fan of Phillips. yet I was told he was the best coach available when we hired him. I felt then he was too soft and said so.

But the results seem to be the same.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
khiladi;2363064 said:
Because it ISN'T an aggressive defense that we all thought we would get. This defense has been as vanilla as the defense that was called by Bill Parcells. We are rushing plenty from base packages. We don't play as much cover-2, but we pretty much have no faith in our secondary and play scared from a passing point of view with all these cushions. We also have Greg Ellis playing a lot more coverage than even prior when Parcells was here. We use to complain how Parcells has Ware covering receivers too much, now it isn't only him, it is Ellis.

So false.

Just because you don't pay attention to the Blitz packages and DL stunts that we constantly use doesn't mean they aren't being done.

Soft coverages? Agreed. Thats been a problem but we've been forced into softer coverages now because of injury.

But our front 7 brings it from a lot of angles.

It also doesn't help we have played 3 west coast teams and we will be playing another WCO this week. You aren't going to get a lot of pressure vs WCO's.

So go ahead and complain about the lack of pressure from the Bucs game because I can tell you ahead of time we aren't going to get a lot.

3 steps and the ball is out.

stiletto

Reaction score
I agree that a lot of these players are just STOOPID...most hand picked by Parcells too so he deserves some railing but having stupid players means you need even MORE discipline than you normally would in my opinion. The team has truly taken on the image of it's coach now. Before they were happy to get out of Parcells grip and played "happier" but still somewhat disciplined football. (until the end of the season). There HAD to been some carry over from the Parcells era...For the last 12-13 games, it's really Wade's team and it shows. Wade was the wrong coaching choice plain and simple. Someone should've been chosen that was in the middle with their style. I call it "Respectful Discipline" towards players.

Parcells = "Overly Disrespectful Disciplined"
Wade = "Overly Respectful Undisciplined"

:bang2:

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
khiladi;2363064 said:

While I think Wade Phillips is an awful head coach, I KNOW he knows defense.

As such, I find it hard to believe that a man who has successfully fielded aggressive, play-making defenses everywhere he has gone can't do it here. I find it easier to believe that players who have proven their lack of talent/desire/smarts with two different coaches now are just not very good.

Maybe we haven't had that exotic defense because we don't have the players to run it? I can see a lot of the numbskulls on this team sitting in defensive meetings drooling while trying to follow along and getting bored and pulling out their sidekick to text message sometime.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2363076 said:
So false.

Just because you don't pay attention to the Blitz packages and DL stunts that we constantly use doesn't mean they aren't being done.

Soft coverages? Agreed. Thats been a problem but we've been forced into softer coverages now because of injury.

It also doesn't help we have played 3 west coast teams and we will be playing another WCO this week. You aren't going to get a lot of pressure vs WCO's.

So go ahead and complain about the lack of pressure from the Bucs game because I can tell you ahead of time we aren't going to get a lot.

We've been playing those soft coverages for a while now and it's not because of injury the same way it wasn't because of Reeves its the defensive philosophy.

@ the OP the complainant about BP was his 2 gap system compared to Wade's 1 gap system.

khiladi

Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;2363080 said:
While I think Wade Phillips is an awful head coach, I KNOW he knows defense.

As such, I find it hard to believe that a man who has successfully fielded aggressive, play-making defenses everywhere he has gone can't do it here. I find it easier to believe that players who have proven their lack of talent/desire/smarts with two different coaches now are just not very good.

Maybe we haven't had that exotic defense because we don't have the players to run it? I can see a lot of the numbskulls on this team sitting in defensive meetings drooling while trying to follow along and getting bored and pulling out their sidekick to text message sometime.

As I said before, we were pretty exotic in the beginning of the year last year. We forced Eli Manning into 8 delay of game penalties in the second game last year because of our exotic packages. In fact, we pretty much dominated them that game. Our vanilla schemes were employed from the second-half of the Green Bay game onwards, including the game against the Giants. It was then that we became just plain vanilla.

I am beginning to think that Wade slowly started handing the reigns to Brain Stewart more and more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2363094 said:
We've been playing those soft coverages for a while now and it's not because of injury the same way it wasn't because of Reeves its the defensive philosophy.

@ the OP the complainant about BP was his 2 gap system compared to Wade's 1 gap system.

Agree but Wade adjusted after the Commanders game.

He was also disguising a lot of coverages as well by juggling guys before the snap.

Thats all out the window now until Jenkins can figure the game out or we get Terrence and Pacrat back.

lgarcia792002

Reaction score
What gets me???? is all the MONEY these guys make---and for them to play like this... SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG.. THIS GOES FOR THE COACHES TO

links18

Reaction score
It can't be all the players, so name some names. Flozell? Ellis? Hamlin? Burnett? Who exactly is stupid?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2363112 said:
Agree but Wade adjusted after the Commanders game.

He was also disguising a lot of coverages as well by juggling guys before the snap.

Thats all out the window now until Jenkins can figure the game out or we get Terrence and Pacrat back.

Jenkins is a 1st round pick no need to baby him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2363128 said:
Jenkins is a 1st round pick no need to baby him.

Well you can't be stupid either. Hes still a Rookie and not a full blown professional.

Brian Broadus said he got better the longer the game went on and once he got settled in.

He has to step up. We dont have a choice.

But he is a rookie and he is going to look really good 75% of the time and that other 25% will leave you scratching your head. Thats just natural at that position.

quaigs

Reaction score
I agree there are too many starters on this time that consistently make the same mistake year in year out.

Starters that I would consider dump players are...

Romo - Wouldn't call him this if he would just learn how to protect the ball.

Witten - Great player that can not figured out what an illegal formation is. Has been getting these penalties for years.

Adams - No Comment needed.

Gurode - No Comment needed.

James - Not sure if he's dumb or just not really that good. Most likely a bit of both.

The entire secondary minus Newman. - How many times have we seen them confused as to where they are supposed to be lined up this year? Even worst is they insane amount of times they blow their coverage year in year out.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2363136 said:
Well you can't be stupid either. Hes still a Rookie and not a full blown professional.

Brian Broadus said he got better the longer the game went on and once he got settled in.

He has to step up. We dont have a choice.

But he is a rookie and he is going to look really good 75% of the time and that other 25% will leave you scratching your head. Thats just natural at that position.

There's been rookies who were thrown into the fire early on and made it happen. He has had 6 weeks to sit and learn he should be able to play. Being a rookie isn't an excuse for poor play.

khiladi

Reaction score
So false.

I pay plenty of attention. I think your so false.

Please... We have been playing soft-coverage since last year, when Newman and Henry were healthy. We were playing soft-coverage this year when both CBs were in as well and the injury of Newman wasn't seen as a big deal.

No, they don't and they haven't.

Dude.. keep living in your fantasy world... Even Wade is talking about brining Ware and Ellis from the edges more and having them less in coverage. He is now being forced to admit the lack of pressure and your still deluded in yor defense of this defense...

And if we aren't going to get a lot, you'll see Wade defensive a lot more...

khiladi

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2363149 said:
There's been rookies who were thrown into the fire early on and made it happen. He has had 6 weeks to sit and learn he should be able to play. Being a rookie isn't an excuse for poor play.

Seriously... Every year it is the same BS... Rookie's step in all the time and play. Seattle had CBs off the street against us two years ago and we flat out sucked against them offensively in the play-offs. The Giants lost their starters last year and went on to win the Super Bowl.

It has more to do with philosophy than rookies... They've been playing soft-zone with Henry and Newman... Hell, Henry hasn't been injured this whole year and he is very rarely in man or pressing...