Failed 1st round qb issues

plasticman

Reaction score
11 quarterbacks have won multiple SB's. 6 of the were drafted #1 overall.

Despite some rather infamous busts, the top of the draft is still the best place to find a QB capable of leading your team to a Super Bowl.

Of course, there are "circumstances"
Roger Staubach would have been drafted #1 overall had it not been for a 5 year military commitment.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
welp saw somewhere that 0(ZERO)- of 22 first round qbs from 2009-2017 i believe are no longer with their original team..so thats what , 6years not one first round qb stuck with the team that drafted them. More are coming to up soon the years of failed 1st rounders could get extended..

This is alarming, Basically none are making it to a 2nd contract.

all those clamoring for trade up or getting qb in the first round at 10 might want to think hard about the risk..sign dak is risk but is it more risk to trade him then miss on qbs the next 2-3 drafts over 6years..hmm a dilemma for sure.

march 9th is coming quickly. lots of decsions for the nfl but the DC FO with dak and FAs..

The NFL needs to actually get the cap SET, so the FA and Tags can begin..

Why do you think that a QB whos team is not willing to him a second deal has failed (eg is a bad player) ?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You guys worry too much. Whatever happens with Dak, rest assured the Jones Boys™ have everything under control.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why do you think that a QB whos team is not willing to him a second deal has failed (eg is a bad player) ?
not bad but not worth the cost of second deal and further putting of the inevitable..and?

Daks not exactly the same hes forth rounder on 4year rookie deal that now played under a FT..hes more like Cousins and that seems to be the end game here..

risk vs reward dak at this cost is as high risk to keep him under that cap hit then it is to move on..they are in odd predicament but not unprecedented..

TwentyOne

Reaction score
not bad but not worth the cost of second deal and further putting of the inevitable..and?

Daks not exactly the same hes forth rounder on 4year rookie deal that now played under a FT..hes more like Cousins and that seems to be the end game here..

risk vs reward dak at this cost is as high risk to keep him under that cap hit then it is to move on..they are in odd predicament but not unprecedented..

Ah ok, got you.

Its the same way that i think.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Never said I'm not ok with paying QBs. But Wentz and Goff and Qbs of their level should not have the massive contracts that the Eagles and Rams gave them. Those deals should be reserved for the elite. Anyone on a tier below or several tiers below should be paid a tier or two lower. Thus, enabling the team to be built up around them without them eating all of the cap space.

Just because you aren't paid elite money and aren't elite, does not mean that QB and team can't win a championship. It also does not mean that QV is not very good. Not a knock on the players it applies to...just the reality teams and the player must face. Once that occurs, the building of a team around the player can occur. IMHO
then you don't understand the market value of QBs in the NFL. it doesn't matter what you and I think is money for the elite or not. its what the market, based on contracts given out and accepted is. NFL will always over value QBs, hope, cross their fingers and spend, reach, etc. its a QB driven league, so they are highly valued. and since these guys got the deals they got, it only pushes the elite money higher, ala Mahomes. we went from 33, 35 to now 50M/year and 40M for watson (shorter contract)....

just change your definition of elite money....its the way it works and the market will eventually (maybe, maybe not) make adjustments. usually by teams dumping the player that they paid and didn't work out and going to the next. wash, rinse, repeat.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Totally understand capitalism. I live it and love it everyday. However, the market is set by the consumer, not the product. Unless the product is a rarity or scarce. Elite QBs are scarce or rare...the product dictates the market. Anything under that is set by the consumer.

NFL teams have been allowing the opposite to occur. Any QB equals we pay top dollar. I'm suggesting that 32 consumers are starting to reassess possibly. Hence why some are willing to cut bait no matter the age of the QB or where they were drafted or whether they are in year 2 of an extension.
well, not exactly. its supply and demand. demand is high, supply is low and price goes up. any free market works that way. the consumer doesn't set the market, the supply/demand set the market. you don't like the price, then don't buy.

given there is low supply of elite (probably top 2,3 at best are considered elite), then when there is 15 teams looking for QBs, price goes up. when Elite (ala Mahomes), get 50M, then watson gets 40M and so one. goff, wentz, wilson got their contracts 3 years ago, so price is obviously gone up from then....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He had 1 bad year and people are over reacting.

1. I don’t know how healthy his back is..

2. I don’t know what was going on with him and that team.

3. The Eagles offense was falling apart before and during the season.. Had our offense had the problems the Eagles offense did the excuses Dak would get from this fan base would be unreal.

Wentz beat Dak in a win and in game the season before.. There was just too many problems in Philly this year and I think the Colts got super lucky.
actually he has been average for a couple of year now. he has been injury prone. and those inside the building probably saw signs of his mental toughness deteriorate and drafted Love just in case and given the competition he saw behind him, he collapsed under pressure. not good for a starting QB to wilt under pressure like he did and then get replaced by a rookie.

If Wentz can' fix his head. he is done. Reich was able to get the most out of him, thus, Indy was probably the highest paying customer and perhaps low risk for them, and Reich may think he can ressurect him. at this point, he is a project.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
11 quarterbacks have won multiple SB's. 6 of the were drafted #1 overall.

Despite some rather infamous busts, the top of the draft is still the best place to find a QB capable of leading your team to a Super Bowl.

Of course, there are "circumstances"
Roger Staubach would have been drafted #1 overall had it not been for a 5 year military commitment.
its laws of probability. first, those graded with 1st round talent, or at least first two rounds, get scruitinized to no end, evaluated, etc. they are also better athletes and have had more success. so probability of them working out is higher. I think generally speaking that's true for all positions. the higher the round, the higher probability of success. so finding a QB in the 6th round has a much lower probability. its not zero, there are some, that's why its not zero. there is enough data over the past 25,30, 40 years of drafts to establish a pattern of probability for each position that maybe fairly accurate, but just like a coin toss, each throw is different, but the trend is the same.

slick325

Reaction score
then you don't understand the market value of QBs in the NFL. it doesn't matter what you and I think is money for the elite or not. its what the market, based on contracts given out and accepted is. NFL will always over value QBs, hope, cross their fingers and spend, reach, etc. its a QB driven league, so they are highly valued. and since these guys got the deals they got, it only pushes the elite money higher, ala Mahomes. we went from 33, 35 to now 50M/year and 40M for watson (shorter contract)....

just change your definition of elite money....its the way it works and the market will eventually (maybe, maybe not) make adjustments. usually by teams dumping the player that they paid and didn't work out and going to the next. wash, rinse, repeat.

Ok. But may I suggest that markets often reset themselves?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe I missed your meaning, but if you think this one loss is Patrick Mahomes true colors, you are mistaken. He and his entire team was beat by a far better defense. I hope I misunderstood as this one game is certainly not his true colors.
Mahomes is not as great as everybody thinks he is. He should’ve lost last year’s Super Bowl against San Fran. He stunk up the playoffs last season. He was Mr. Hail Mary thank God Terry Bradshaw said it on live TV. I’m not a fan of Patrick Mahomes is not that great. He’s just another media love a boy like Aaron Rodgers

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes is not as great as everybody thinks he is. He should’ve lost last year’s Super Bowl against San Fran. He stunk up the playoffs last season. He was Mr. Hail Mary thank God Terry Bradshaw said it on live TV. I’m not a fan of Patrick Mahomes is not that great. He’s just another media love a boy like Aaron Rodgers
I've been a fan since his early days at Texas Tech and couldn't disagree with you more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The reason that so many fail, is the experts cant properly evaluate college qb's.

Classic example is they all thought brady was crap coming out of college, he didnt have the measurable's.
probably alot of guys like brady never make it to or in the nfl due to improper evaluation.

Now I will side with the dak lovers, that I doubt the jones boys can evaluate either, so no telling who they would pick.
Past evidence says they would pick a loser.
It also depends on what they do with a qb once they get him.
Do they force him into some scheme their OC likes, or do they develop something for THAT QB !
Even dak was not used properly, or coached well. Thats why he got hurt, on a designed run play where he didnt slide or go down, he invited contact,
which was stupid on his part, and to me shows he wasnt coached properly.

It isnt that hard to find a qb, but since most teams have stupid coaches, and gm's, then they make it hard.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been a fan since his early days at Texas Tech and couldn't disagree with you more.
You’re welcome to your opinion my cowboy brother. But I totally believe he’s just a media lover boy. I don’t think you’ll be back in the Super Bowl for quite some time

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have many NFL friends who agree with me.But again we won’t know until his career is over