Fan rebuilding

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
I haven't started a new thread in a long time. Part of that is due to becoming more of a college fan, and the other part is probably growing frustration with the state of things in Dallas. I am a card carrying season ticket holder, but we all know some things have to change.

What has frustrated me more than how the results of the games have turned out is the attitudes and behavior of the fans. Watching the Denver game earlier has just further illustrated that. Now I know that most of the blame will go to Jerry and how expensive ticket prices have shut out the casual fan, that the stadium is too big, yada yada. The truth is we need to rebuild this team, AND rebuild our fanbase.

Can anyone who has been to the stadium honestly say there is any fan organization? We all know how people cheer when we have the ball. Can anyone say that we have any tradition in our behavior at the games? How can a team with so much history have so little tradition with the fans? Ever since crazy ray died the last little bit has disappeared.

What I am proposing is a concentrated effort, not just mere complaining, to improve our gameday atmosphere. A manifesto of fan chants, slogans and traditions to be developed right here at CZ, and distributed before home games. It will be hard, take years and it is easier to complain, but instead of just complaining why don't we try to improve our fanbase? We have no control over personnel moves, but what about the things we can control.

If you have a problem with Jerry, fine. Use this thread to find 10 people that agree with you, pull your money together, make a banner, and go to a home game in the standing room section and make something happen. That is just an example. Personally, I'd like to see the changes be something tradition based, something positive.

Whatever we do, we can do something.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Sounds good but it will be made difficult with the corporate atmosphere.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Zordon;4963143 said:
What do you suggest?

(fyi i agree with you.)

I suggest we use this thread to come up with some situational chants, cheers, behaviors for the fans. We have a whole offseason to pick and refine, and we can all throw in a few bucks to get some "instructions" printed and distributed in the parking lot. Hell, I will hand them out to people. A season or two and they will catch on.

As for specific suggestions on what the chants would be...give me a little more time. First, I want to gauge the temperature of the fan base.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Vanilla2;4963133 said:
Sounds good but it will be made difficult with the corporate atmosphere.

It will begin with one person in each section doing the specified activity EVERY time the situation pops up. Then three people...and so on. You're right, difficult. However, not impossible. What's the alternative?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I wish we had an outdoor stadium. Being inside makes things so cozy for an already relaxed crowd. Plus we are the only NFL team that plays indoors in their division.

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
TheCoolFan;4963184 said:
I wish we had an outdoor stadium. Being inside makes things so cozy for an already relaxed crowd. Plus we are the only NFL team that plays indoors in their division.

But we can't change the stadium. Let's work on other things that we can change

FiveRings

Reaction score
You don't make fan traditions on purpose. They just happen and grow, take the Florida Panthers of the NHL, in their last playoff run their captain thought he saw a rat in the dressing room. As time passed that one innocent happening turned into the fans throwing plastic mice onto the ice after playoff games this year.

The same goes for all other notable fan things, the Hogettes and Fireman Ed didn't have intentions of being famous, they just though it'd be cool to dawn their respective gear at games and the rest is history

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheKey;4963123 said:
I haven't started a new thread in a long time. Part of that is due to becoming more of a college fan, and the other part is probably growing frustration with the state of things in Dallas. I am a card carrying season ticket holder, but we all know some things have to change.

What has frustrated me more than how the results of the games have turned out is the attitudes and behavior of the fans. Watching the Denver game earlier has just further illustrated that. Now I know that most of the blame will go to Jerry and how expensive ticket prices have shut out the casual fan, that the stadium is too big, yada yada. The truth is we need to rebuild this team, AND rebuild our fanbase.

Can anyone who has been to the stadium honestly say there is any fan organization? We all know how people cheer when we have the ball. Can anyone say that we have any tradition in our behavior at the games? How can a team with so much history have so little tradition with the fans? Ever since crazy ray died the last little bit has disappeared.

What I am proposing is a concentrated effort, not just mere complaining, to improve our gameday atmosphere. A manifesto of fan chants, slogans and traditions to be developed right here at CZ, and distributed before home games. It will be hard, take years and it is easier to complain, but instead of just complaining why don't we try to improve our fanbase? We have no control over personnel moves, but what about the things we can control.

If you have a problem with Jerry, fine. Use this thread to find 10 people that agree with you, pull your money together, make a banner, and go to a home game in the standing room section and make something happen. That is just an example. Personally, I'd like to see the changes be something tradition based, something positive.

Whatever we do, we can do something.

The attitude and behavior of the fans is a direct result of how the team has performed. The Cowboys have missed the playoffs 3 straight years what do you expect from the fans when the team is in a rut like this? The performance of the Cowboys has affected you as a fan causing you to turn more to the college game and become frustrated with the team. You've become frustrated at the fans because they're frustrated with the team. :rolleyes:

The attitude and behavior of the fans isn't going to improve until the team improves. Fans aren't going to have the enthusiasm to come up with chants, slogans and banners when the team is hovering around 500 every year. It's going to take winning to improve the attitude and behavior of the fans.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheKey;4963146 said:
I suggest we use this thread to come up with some situational chants, cheers, behaviors for the fans. We have a whole offseason to pick and refine, and we can all throw in a few bucks to get some "instructions" printed and distributed in the parking lot. Hell, I will hand them out to people. A season or two and they will catch on.

As for specific suggestions on what the chants would be...give me a little more time. First, I want to gauge the temperature of the fan base.

:rolleyes:

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
KJJ;4963198 said:
The attitude and behavior of the fans is a direct result of how the team has performed. The Cowboys have missed the playoffs 3 straight years what do you expect from the fans when the team is in a rut like this? The performance of the Cowboys has affected you as a fan causing you to turn more to the college game and become frustrated with the team. You've become frustrated at the fans because they're frustrated with the team. :rolleyes:

The attitude and behavior of the fans isn't going to improve until the team improves. Fans aren't going to have the enthusiasm to come up with chants, slogans and banners when the team is hovering around 500 every year. It's going to take winning to improve the attitude and behavior of the fans.

I expect the fans to act the same way for a losing team as they do for winning teams. That's what being a fan is about. I've become more of a college fan and posted less here, but I've never missed a Cowboys game or changed my attitude due to the lack of success. Yes, I am frustrated, but I don't act differently or skip games. :cool:

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
FiveRings;4963194 said:
You don't make fan traditions on purpose. They just happen and grow, take the Florida Panthers of the NHL, in their last playoff run their captain thought he saw a rat in the dressing room. As time passed that one innocent happening turned into the fans throwing plastic mice onto the ice after playoff games this year.

The same goes for all other notable fan things, the Hogettes and Fireman Ed didn't have intentions of being famous, they just though it'd be cool to dawn their respective gear at games and the rest is history

You think fans just happened to find a rat in their bag at the next game? Or is it possible that a few fans coordinated that idea and it grew? Everything starts somewhere...:bang2:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheKey;4963202 said:
I expect the fans to act the same way for a losing team as they do for winning teams. That's what being a fan is about. I've become more of a college fan and posted less here, but I've never missed a Cowboys game or changed my attitude due to the lack of success. Yes, I am frustrated, but I don't act differently or skip games. :cool:

You have no right to expect anything from fans who are frustrated over the teams performance. The attitude and behavior of fans is a reflection of how the team is performing that's just the way it is it's like that with all fan bases. Fans aren't paid to cheerlead regardless of how the team is playing. If you were such a FAN you wouldn't have lost your enthusiasm to post for a long time and wouldn't have turned more to the college game as an escape.

The Cowboys lack of success has changed your attitude you're not posting as much and are watching more college football. You've admitted you're frustrated with the team well so is everyone else. Welcome to the club! :toast:

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
KJJ;4963206 said:
You have no right to expect anything from fans who are frustrated over the teams performance. The attitude and behavior of fans is a reflection of how the team is performing that's just the way it is it's like that with all fan bases. Fans aren't paid to cheerlead regardless of how the team is playing. If you were such a FAN you wouldn't have lost your enthusiasm to post for a long time and wouldn't have turned more to the college game as an escape.

The Cowboys lack of success has changed your attitude you're not posting as much and have turned more to the college game. You've admitted you're frustrated with the team well so is everyone else. Welcome to the club! :toast:

I turned to the college game because I have an alma mater to support. Not out of frustration to the Cowboys. I stopped posting here mostly due to the constant complaining about the performance of the team, and less to do about that actual performance. I have been a fan all of my life and can vividly remember the 5-11 days, and still never missed a game. I also continue to buy season tickets. No need to welcome me to any club.

Reaction score
The best thing this demoralized, frustrated and angry fan base could do to help is not wait until opening day next season,,,, start picketing Valley Ranch in the off season, that's when all the damage is being done to this team. A "sit-in" at the draft would be a nice touch too,,, :cool:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheKey;4963207 said:
I turned to the college game because I have an alma mater to support. Not out of frustration to the Cowboys. I stopped posting here mostly due to the constant complaining about the performance of the team, and less to do about that actual performance. I have been a fan all of my life and can vividly remember the 5-11 days, and still never missed a game. I also continue to buy season tickets. No need to welcome me to any club.

You turned to the college game partly because you're frustrated with the Cowboys and you know it. You wouldn't have mentioned turning to the college game if it didn't have something to do with the play of the Cowboys. You just claimed a few minutes ago that you haven't been posting here due to your growing frustration with the state of things in Dallas. You're telling me it's the attitude and behavior of the "fans" that's frustrating you more than the performance of the team? It would take a pretty weak minded fan to allow the frustration of other fans to affect them more than the teams performance.

Until 4 days ago you hadn't posted on the board in 3 months. Like I said the attitude and behavior of the fans isn't going to change until the product on the field starts improving. You can't blame fans for being unhappy it's a depressing time for Cowboy fans watching the playoffs while the Cowboys are at home.

FiveRings

Reaction score
TheKey;4963205 said:
You think fans just happened to find a rat in their bag at the next game? Or is it possible that a few fans coordinated that idea and it grew? Everything starts somewhere...:bang2:

Yeah granted it has to start some where but it never started with the intentions of it blowing up the way it did. And besides, we're just not a franchise that has a home crowd such as Seattle or Baltimore. Not dissing our fans but even Troy said that when they played back in the 90s the stadium was quiet but when they would go to Philly his ears were ringing.

What I'm saying is even when there is a product on the field worth getting excited about, it's never a cold weather, in the trenches big defensive stop we're excited about, it's a high flying offensive attack sort of team, which usually doesn't garner the raunchy fans

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
17 seasons of mostly mediocrity will usually cool down the fan base.

The Cowboys fans have been loyal and the owner has benefited. He makes more money off the Cowboys even when losing than other owners do with their teams.

The tradition we need to get back to is winning...not chanting etc... The Cowboys did not become America's Team by being mediocre or losing.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
All it takes is a good idea and a little bit of clever marketing to start a tradition. I think its a great idea, start with the Bruce Lee chant on third downs.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Someone posted this fact the other day, and it still resonates.

"Since 1997 the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Commanders, and Detroit Lions are the only teams not to play in an NFC Championship Game."

Of the 3 listed, who is in the worst shape....least likely to change this fact any time soon.