FA's, Draft...What would make you happy?

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
Trying to keep this thread realistic (No, we won't trade Houston for the #1 pick), who would you like to see the Cowboys draft and bring in via free agency?

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
I'd have to go w/ Lawson in the 1st (Hopefully he's there). In free agency, I think there will be a few names pop up after June 1st, the Boys might fill some needs there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I like Lawson and think he is a very good pass rush but not a great run stopper. Myself I like Carpenter or Greenway a bit more because at least in my opinion they are better all around LB. While Lawson is an undersized DE who will have to learn the LB position much like Ware is having to. Believe me if Dallas were to get Lawson I would not be upset but he would not be my 1st selection. Let the Bullets fly:laugh2:

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Carpenter in 1st round, then sign a newly Sobered up Coleman, then hopefully someone like McNeill will fall to us in the 2nd.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I like Lawson and think he is a very good pass rush but not a great run stopper. Myself I like Carpenter or Greenway a bit more because at least in my opinion they are better all around LB. While Lawson is an undersized DE who will have to learn the LB position much like Ware is having to. Believe me if Dallas were to get Lawson I would not be upset but he would not be my 1st selection. Let the Bullets fly:laugh2:

Lawson has dabbled at LBer if I am not mistaken. He has played end and knows how to fight off blocks. Greenway lets people get in his face or he tries to run around them and doesn't play the physical style we ask our linebackers to play. I would take Lawson over Greenway every day of the week because even though he isn't as seasoned, he is more physical and not like a pumped up safety trying to play 3-4 linebacker.

If we were running the 4-3, it would be Greenway by a mile over all of them.

Alexander

Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
Carpenter in 1st round, then sign a newly Sobered up Coleman, then hopefully someone like McNeill will fall to us in the 2nd.

Kiper has McNeill falling to us in his mock.

That means we have no chance at him. :(

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Lawson has dabbled at LBer if I am not mistaken. He has played end and knows how to fight off blocks. Greenway lets people get in his face or he tries to run around them and doesn't play the physical style we ask our linebackers to play. I would take Lawson over Greenway every day of the week because even though he isn't as seasoned, he is more physical and not like a pumped up safety trying to play 3-4 linebacker.

If we were running the 4-3, it would be Greenway by a mile over all of them.

And Lawson has some negitives in his game just like every pick. He does great rushing the passer but he is not much of a run stopper and tends to get pushed around when facing the running game. As I said if Dallas took Lawson I would not have a problem with it but the fact is even the 1st pick in this draft will have some question marks on him and Lawson has them as well. I think Greenway and Carpenter are both better all around LB vs run or pass than Lawson and I have watched each guy over the course of their careers I think Lawson is the better pass rusher in the group but I want more than just a guy rushing the passer I think stopping the run is just as critical especially in the NFC East.

garyv

Reaction score
My thoughts are Manny Lawson but my heart says the best pick if available is Winston Justice, OL from USC. I would be excited if they could land three starters like Justice on the OL, a Linebacker and a Free Safety like Oat Watkins. I would like to trade some 2007 picks in order to add picks in this years draft and feel some holes.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
would love to see us get Winston Justice at 18, maybe somebody like Tenn OLB Parys Harralson in rd 2 and then a decent S prospect in rd 3 (Watkins, Manning if either are there)

Justice solves the RT problem and would be a massive upgrade for our OL...he has the feet to play LT and could move there in another season or two, allowing us to move Adams to RT...Fabini and Petitti then become good depth

I am surprised more people havent mentioned Harralson because he seems tailor made for OLB in the 3-4...he is an excellent all around player and plays with a mean streak

everyone has already addressed the FS thing

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Trade down from 18 and add a day 1 pick. Maybe Deangelo Williams will be there at 18 and we can get the Colts #30 and their 2nd round pick for him. They need to replace Edge.

#30. (from Colts) Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State

#49. Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State

#62. (from Colts) Rod Wright, DT, Texas

#80. Pat Watkins, FS, Florida State

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Trade down from 18 and add a day 1 pick. Maybe Deangelo Williams will be there at 18 and we can get the Colts #30 and their 2nd round pick for him. They need to replace Edge.

Outstanding draft, minus Wright. We could do better with that high of a choice at that point. I might even take the QB there. But Mangold, Watkins and Carpenter would solve a ton of issues. Then you could conceiveably take Johnson and make him a swing guard, which he has done in the past.

Alexander

Reaction score
sadams said:
Carpenter in the 1st!

And I still want Arrington!

Why would we want to spend the money on Arrington if we got Carpenter?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Hostile said:

I like that trade. It's gutsy because of all the teams between 18 and 30 looking for LB's though. It would not surprise me one bit if Indy did want to do that deal if Williams is on the board- I've been talking about this possibility for some time. Carpenter would be an excellent pick at 30, at 18 he feels like a mild reach.

Mangold is the top center prospect so it's very unlikely he slips all the way to 49. I can't see the Jets at 35 passing him over after losing Mawae. This is the spot though to look for a 1st round talent to slip, I just don't think it will be Mangold. The two guys I'd be interested in if they slipped at 49 would be Gabe Watson and Sinorice Moss.

I can't see Wright before the 3rd, but that's me. At 62, at least one, and maybe all three of the top guard prospects could be there. I rank them Joseph, Spencer and Gilles. The reason I like Joseph is he's probably more refined than Spencer and more mobile than Gilles. It also intrigued me that some teams were asking him about the possibility of moving inside to center. All three of those guys have tackle experience. Although it would not be their best position, I like the flexibility it offers us. My concern is Tampa is supposed to love Joseph and could snatch him a few spots ahead of us.

I love Pat Watkins at 80 and he's my 1st choice for the position- ahead of Ko Simpson, ahead of Whitner, ahead of Bullocks, ahead of Allen. With his size, speed and solid head he could end up in a few years as being one of the big steals of this draft mid third. But my gut tells me when the real live buttons get pushed Pat will be off the board before 80. But either way 80 is where I think we'll look for a safety.

Alexander

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
Mangold is the top center prospect so it's very unlikely he slips all the way to 49. I can't see the Jets at 35 passing him over after losing Mawae.

They did sign Trey Teague and they could plug him in at center.

This is the spot though to look for a 1st round talent to slip, I just don't think it will be Mangold. The two guys I'd be interested in if they slipped at 49 would be Gabe Watson and Sinorice Moss.

I agree somewhat. I would like Mangold, I just don't think we are ready to give up on Johnson just yet.

I can't see Wright before the 3rd, but that's me. At 62, at least one, and maybe all three of the top guard prospects could be there. I rank them Joseph, Spencer and Gilles. The reason I like Joseph is he's probably more refined than Spencer and more mobile than Gilles. It also intrigued me that some teams were asking him about the possibility of moving inside to center. All three of those guys have tackle experience. Although it would not be their best position, I like the flexibility it offers us. My concern is Tampa is supposed to love Joseph and could snatch him a few spots ahead of us.

Joesph could go in the first round simply because he is more versatile than Jean-Gilles. So could Spencer. Both players are experienced at tackle and unless you have a plan to start them, you want versatile backup guards who could also play tackle in a pinch. That's why drafting Peterman is hurting so bad because he has no versatility.

I love Pat Watkins at 80 and he's my 1st choice for the position- ahead of Ko Simpson, ahead of Whitner, ahead of Bullocks, ahead of Allen. With his size, speed and solid head he could end up in a few years as being one of the big steals of this draft mid third. But my gut tells me when the real live buttons get pushed Pat will be off the board before 80. But either way 80 is where I think we'll look for a safety.

I think Watkins in the type who is flying under the radar. Bullocks and Whitner are getting an awful lot of publicity right now and some even think the Steelers might take one of them at the bottom of round one. Daniael Manning might not be a bad alternative in the third round. He can play both S and CB. The question with him is his character.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Justice solves the RT problem and would be a massive upgrade for our OL...he has the feet to play LT and could move there in another season or two, allowing us to move Adams to RT...Fabini and Petitti then become good depth

David

:bow:

Exactly. Our O-line has way more holes in it than our LB core. We are one injury away from having Pettiti being a starter. That thought alone gives me chills down my spine.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Outstanding draft, minus Wright. We could do better with that high of a choice at that point. I might even take the QB there. But Mangold, Watkins and Carpenter would solve a ton of issues. Then you could conceiveably take Johnson and make him a swing guard, which he has done in the past.
I was sketchy on Wright as well, but he fills a need. I'd actually love to get an OG there. If we address the OL I think it needs to be LG and C. I'm willing to give RG one more year before I say it's a wreck.

TheOneROWilliE

Reaction score
i dont know what we need,or who i want to see the cowboys draft but i think it will be fine whoever they get im sure Bill will make a good choice..i hope