Fasano instead of marcus mcneil... why?

GoodOleDays

Reaction score
1st round we got the player we all were satsified with.. Bobby Carpenter. Yea Manny Lawson was there to, but hes kind of a project so instead we chose a guy with lots of college experience at OLB, I honestly like the pick. I also notice how no tackle other than the great Ferguson D'Brickashaw goes in the first round, that pleases me greatly.

Then 2nd round rolls around.. right tackle is running through my head like crazy because of the poor play there last year. And I've watched Winston Justice suprisingly fall into the second round but hes nabbed by philly (a great pick). That just leaves Marcus McNeil as the most highly touted tackle ready to be taken in the 2nd.. our pick comes up, McNeil is still there. I'm thinking our main o-line problem might be solved with this pick, but then all of a sudden I see a trade. We trade the Jets our pick for additional picks. I'm speechless and anxious. Then I see San Diego take McNeil in between what was our pick and what now is our pick. I then see we pick TE Fasano, I instantly check him out on various draft sites and he seems to be a 3rd rounder or later.

I know TE is an important position but we've already got one probowler to man the spot. Why reach for Fasano when we could of possibly solved our horrendous RT problem with McNeil?

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Our starting right tackle is already on the roster. He might not have been a sexy 1st-3rd round pick, but I believe he has shown the staff enough to make them believe he's got what it takes.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey said:
Our starting right tackle is already on the roster. He might not have been a sexy 1st-3rd round pick, but I believe he has shown the staff enough to make them believe he's got what it takes.

Who did we sign that I missed?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
April 29th to July 16th...

...Hey, it's only 78 days of going over this.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:
Are you telling me you would seriously take Rob Petitti over Marcus McNeil?
That's not the whole ledger.

Fasano & Petitti or Marcus McNeil?

I'll take 2 potential starters over 1.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
No one. The answer is Rob Petitti.

Comon' CC I've been tellin' ya that all offseason. :D
:bang2:

Look, I hope he works out and I think he will at least be a good depth guy. But THE ANSWER? I haven't seen that yet.

PS. I haven't heard from Shy in a month. Just FYI.

lspain1

Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:

Hey what about the dark horse.....Columbo (OK he's not so dark, but he is Italian).:p:

2much2soon

Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:

No, but I think he is telling you he would take Fasano and Pettiti over Mcneil.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They didn't like McNeil. He didn't really look too hot in the combine or at the Senior Bowl and there is a major back issue with him. From what I've been told, they were going to draft OT Darryn Colledge, but the Packers unexpectingly beat them to the punch. If they drafted Colledge, then they would've probably drafted Leonard Pope or Dominique Byrd in the 3rd round.

If they didn't like McNeil and his back is truly an issue, I don't have a problem with drafting Fasano. Obviously we need to look at tackle, especially for the future, but there's no sense in drafting a guy you don't like that could quite possibly be damaged goods.

Rich....................

GoodOleDays

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
They didn't like McNeil. He didn't really look too hot in the combine or at the Senior Bowl and there is a major back issue with him. From what I've been told, they were going to draft OT Darryn Colledge, but the Packers unexpectingly beat them to the punch. If they drafted Colledge, then they would've probably drafted Leonard Pope or Dominique Byrd in the 3rd round.

If they didn't like McNeil and his back is truly an issue, I don't have a problem with drafting Fasano. Obviously we need to look at tackle, especially for the future, but there's no sense in drafting a guy you don't like that could quite possibly be damaged goods.

Rich....................

Thank you, answers I've been waiting for since the draft. Haven't had much time to come on and ask though.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
I thought Fasano was taken exactly where he should have been. He wasn't a reach. Plus, he'll help us immediately, whereas a rookie OT would not be as good as Fabini or 2nd-year Petitti.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GoodOleDays said:
Face it, we had the opportunity to take McNeil and put Petitti on the bench and didn't do it. After the draft we found out why. You are obviously a McNeil fan and are miffed we didn't take him.

I have good news for you. We have gone over this about a million times since the draft. Go research the archives for all the answers to your questions about what happened and why. Then you will understand what the Cowboy brass was thinking and the reasoning behind that thinking.

GoodOleDays

Reaction score
You guys seem to agree Petitti will be our starter this year. I just didn't see much potential from him last year to have full confidence in him this year. Didn't he lead the league in sacks allowed? Thats a bit scary for me personally.

He needed help from the TE on almost every play.. when are we going to take the training wheels off?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy said:
:bang2:

Look, I hope he works out and I think he will at least be a good depth guy. But THE ANSWER? I haven't seen that yet.

PS. I haven't heard from Shy in a month. Just FYI.
Petitti will be fine CC. Trust me.

The last I heard from Shy was Wed June 28th. I'm not concerned. We still have plenty of time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GoodOleDays said:
You guys seem to agree Petitti will be our starter this year. I just didn't see much potential from him last year to have full confidence in him this year. Didn't he lead the league in sacks allowed? Thats a bit scary for me personally.

He needed help from the TE on almost every play.. when are we going to take the training wheels off?
wow. just wow. so really missed a lot this off season.

GoodOleDays

Reaction score
Well I hope fasano can block as good as he can catch, cause if he's on Petitti's side.. umm yea I think you get my point.

Reaction score
Why would it have to be Petitti OR McNeil?? I thought that at EVERY position, you want as many quality players as you can get. Look at LB. We had James, Ware, Ayodele, Boiman, Singleton, Burnett, Fowler, Shanle, etc. Why in the world would you pick Carpenter over Mangold AND Burnett? I mean, Burnett the second rounder from last year was drafted to play OLB opposite Ware, then we draft Carpenter so Burnett can be benched after he heals, right?! Then, we had a chance to grab the best Center in the draft, who I wanted, and we don't take him. That means two for one, right?

Do you see how your rationale makes no sense at all? I would have taken Winston or Spencer in the second myself, but again, how would that be taking Winston, and getting rid of Petitti & Fasano? If taking an OT in the second rd. means a rookie sends Petitti to the bench, then he doesn't belong starting in the first place, and we've just improved ourselves, right? We still would have taken a quality TE in the 3rd rd., but that's not the point. The point is that you take a player where you have the weakest link. If anyone out there thinks our weakest link last year was LB, you need to stop smoking that stuff.

I would have taken Mangold in the first, Winston in the second, and suddenly our weakest links, our RT & C positions, are solidified for the next 4-5 years, maybe more. Mangold could probably beat out anyone we have at that position this year, and Winston would either beat out someone for the RT or an OG position in 2007. In the mean time, we have more quality depth on our offensive line than we've had since the mid-90s, whether it's the rookies backing up, or the players they beat out.