Fasano instead of marcus mcneil... why?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If some of you insist on being "draft experts" by stating exactly where Fasano could have gone in the draft, the least you could do is follow the draft enough to state an informed opinion. .

The Cowboys took him with the 53rd pick. Here is where he ranked on some of the most respected final Top 100 Draft Prospects lists....

Goose - #54
Pro Football Weekly - #43
Scouts, Inc - #48
Frank Coyle - #53.

The Huddle report every year rank the Top 20 most accurate Top 100 List. Goose ranked 1st. PFW ranked 3rd. Scouts Inc ranked 4th.

In other words, no way in hell Fasano is there in the 3rd. The Cowboys were damn lucky he was there at the 53rd pick. If anything, McNeil went higher than expected because San Diego is even more desperate for offensive lineman than we are and took a flyer on a guy who probably won't be in the league in 5 years. I sincerely hope that all of you guys screaming for McNeil also aren't the same ones screaming that Dallas seems to take players with injury questions in the 2nd round.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
The Realist said:
Fasano just a slightly better receiver than Campbell?

Fasano had 90 catches in 3 years.

That's elite status in my book.

I'd like to see the 3 year numbers on Shockey, KWII, and Vernon Davis.

I doubt Campbell had half that in 4 years at A&M.

Good point, but this is one of those things were stats aren't the best measure of the players.

Winslow and Davis are unproven. But on potential and athletic ability, id take them over Fasano in a heartbeat.

Stats might tell the story when comparing Campbell with Fasano, but leave those top 10 pick TE's out of it.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Good point, Roshi, I liked McNeil, he is a monster OT, granted, but with that spinal condition, along with his back, its iffy.

We had our player like that with the pick of Jacob Rogers.

Fasano, is a good TE, to my mind not a real good receiving TE like Witten, but better than Campbell in receiving. Now Campbell was a real good blocker, when he wasnt injury prone in 2003.

I like Fasano, with the similar style offense that he played at Notre Dame, his adjustment will be easier. Now, you have to take that in regards, all players have to adjust to NFL after 1st year. Even top ranked WRs dont come in and light up the NFL their first year.

That was a good post about Goose, he is a real good analyst. Another thing to think about the 53rd pick, the Cowboys traded down after Colledge went to the Packers. So, seeing with their high pick, they traded down and got some extra picks, then taking Fasano with the 53rd pick. We did need a extra TE, we all remember what happened when Campbell got hurt the last 2 years.

So, now with Witten, Fasano, Hannam, we have backup depth too, and teams wont know when we put in Hannam. So, like I said, all in all, we now have quality backup at every position except experienced QB. Free safety to me is a little concern, but hopefully out of Roy Williams, Keith Davis if injury isnt serious, and wasnt his fault the shooting, Coleman & Watkins, I think our problems at free safety are solved.

MONT17

Reaction score
if the Cowboys got everyone they wanted in the draft then who is this guy Colledge the PACK drafted?

I would think if the BOYS got everyone they wanted they would have guys like REGGIE BUSH and MIKE HUFF in the fold!!!

the OL is a "wait and see" deal.. wait and see how bad they suck!!!

before training camp we will draw the lines with a prediction thread so there wont be any need for "I told ya so"!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
if the Cowboys got everyone they wanted in the draft then who is this guy Colledge the PACK drafted?

I would think if the BOYS got everyone they wanted they would have guys like REGGIE BUSH and MIKE HUFF in the fold!!!

the OL is a "wait and see" deal.. wait and see how bad they suck!!!

before training camp we will draw the lines with a prediction thread so there wont be any need for "I told ya so"!!!
Oh look, someone else who can't read.

I said the Cowboys said that their Draft board fell exactly the way they wanted for Day 1. Reggie Bush and Mike Huff weren't going to be there when we picked.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
If some of you insist on being "draft experts" by stating exactly where Fasano could have gone in the draft, the least you could do is follow the draft enough to state an informed opinion. .

The Cowboys took him with the 53rd pick. Here is where he ranked on some of the most respected final Top 100 Draft Prospects lists....

Goose - #54
Pro Football Weekly - #43
Scouts, Inc - #48
Frank Coyle - #53.

The Huddle report every year rank the Top 20 most accurate Top 100 List. Goose ranked 1st. PFW ranked 3rd. Scouts Inc ranked 4th.

In other words, no way in hell Fasano is there in the 3rd. The Cowboys were damn lucky he was there at the 53rd pick. If anything, McNeil went higher than expected because San Diego is even more desperate for offensive lineman than we are and took a flyer on a guy who probably won't be in the league in 5 years. I sincerely hope that all of you guys screaming for McNeil also aren't the same ones screaming that Dallas seems to take players with injury questions in the 2nd round.
Thanks IR. Good stuff.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Oh look, someone else who can't read.

I said the Cowboys said that their Draft board fell exactly the way they wanted for Day 1. Reggie Bush and Mike Huff weren't going to be there when we picked.
Neitiher will Brady Quinn next year and we will probably get shredded by some then.

The Realist

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
Good point, but this is one of those things were stats aren't the best measure of the players.

Winslow and Davis are unproven. But on potential and athletic ability, id take them over Fasano in a heartbeat.

Stats might tell the story when comparing Campbell with Fasano, but leave those top 10 pick TE's out of it.

Stats equal actual results.

Potential and athletic ability are often a pie in the sky that never comes to fruition.

You'd take them over Fasano but we never had to a chance to take them at #6 thank God.

Witten and Fasano at #'s 69 and 53 or Winslow and VD at #6?

If anyone prefers the 2 guys at #6 my guess is they like Madden as much or more than real football.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Colledge was the 5th or 6th ranked OT, from Alaska, little Boise St, but a really good unknown OT in 2006 draft. The Cowboys had him in for a visit too, and they really liked him.

They even admited after the draft by Stephen Jones, there was an offensive OT in the 2nd round that they really liked and wanted, but he got picked a few picks right before the Cowboys. So, the Cowboys traded down a few spots, and then took Fasano.

He is listed at 6-6 or 6-5 1/2, about 310 pounds, born in 1982, so age of 24.

He is a smart, motivated player, mean and nasty too on the field, he is polished as a blocker, but not dominate in the running game as a run blocker, but better at pass blocking.

A team captain, that set school records for weight lifting at his college, along with his speed. Some reports of draft experts had him listed as a real young Larry Allen in unheard of weight lifting at little Boise ST. I am not saying he is or will be Larry Allen, in lifting weights, but he is strong.

Some draft experts had him even going in the first round, but he went high in 2nd round.

Hope that explains who he is. Dont get me wrong, I like Fasano too, but you cant always get what you want in the draft.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Realist said:
Fasano just a slightly better receiver than Campbell?

Fasano had 90 catches in 3 years.

That's elite status in my book.

I'd like to see the 3 year numbers on Shockey, KWII, and Vernon Davis.

I doubt Campbell had half that in 4 years at A&M.
Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame, 2003 - 2005 (did not play as a freshman in 2002)

2003: 18 receptions, 169 yards, 2 touchdowns
2004: 27 receptions, 367 yards, 4 touchdowns
2005: 45 receptions, 564 yards, 2 touchdowns
Career totals: 90 receptions, 1,100 yards, 8 touchdowns

Jeremy Shockey, University of Miami, Florida, 2000 - 2001 (played at Northeast Oklahoma A&M in 1999)

1999: 33 receptions, 484 yards, 7 touchdowns
2000: 21 receptions, 296 yards, 3 touchdowns
2001: 40 receptions, 519 yards, 7 touchdowns
Career totals: 94 receptions, 1,299 yards, 17 touchdowns

Kellen Winslow II, University of Miami, Florida, 2001 - 2003

2001: 2 receptions, 34 yards, 0 touchdowns
2002: 57 receptions, 726 yards, 8 touchdowns
2003: 60 receptions, 605 yards, 1 touchdown
Career totals: 119 receptions, 1,365 yards, 9 touchdowns

Vernon Davis, University of Maryland, 2003 - 2005

2003: 5 receptions, 59 yards, 0 touchdowns
2004: 27 receptions, 441 yards, 3 touchdowns
2005: 51 receptions, 871 yards, 6 touchdowns
Career totals: 83 receptions, 1,371 yards, 9 touchdowns

[Edit]

Dan Campbell, Texas A&M University, 1995 - 1998

1995: 0 receptions in 4 games
1996: 8 receptions, 103 yards, 0 touchdowns
1997: 12 receptions, 143 yards, 2 touchdowns
1998: 7 receptions, 68 yards, 1 touchdown
Career totals: 27 receptions, 314 yards, 3 touchdowns

Doomsday101

Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:
1st round we got the player we all were satsified with.. Bobby Carpenter. Yea Manny Lawson was there to, but hes kind of a project so instead we chose a guy with lots of college experience at OLB, I honestly like the pick. I also notice how no tackle other than the great Ferguson D'Brickashaw goes in the first round, that pleases me greatly.

Then 2nd round rolls around.. right tackle is running through my head like crazy because of the poor play there last year. And I've watched Winston Justice suprisingly fall into the second round but hes nabbed by philly (a great pick). That just leaves Marcus McNeil as the most highly touted tackle ready to be taken in the 2nd.. our pick comes up, McNeil is still there. I'm thinking our main o-line problem might be solved with this pick, but then all of a sudden I see a trade. We trade the Jets our pick for additional picks. I'm speechless and anxious. Then I see San Diego take McNeil in between what was our pick and what now is our pick. I then see we pick TE Fasano, I instantly check him out on various draft sites and he seems to be a 3rd rounder or later.

I know TE is an important position but we've already got one probowler to man the spot. Why reach for Fasano when we could of possibly solved our horrendous RT problem with McNeil?

Evidently Dallas did not like what they saw from McNeil or at least had questions about his ability at this level.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:
You guys seem to agree Petitti will be our starter this year. I just didn't see much potential from him last year to have full confidence in him this year. Didn't he lead the league in sacks allowed? Thats a bit scary for me personally.

According to STATS, Inc. Petitti led the league with 13.5 sacks allowed.

Petitti finished with the 3rd highest rate of sacks per passing attempts. Torrin Tucker had the highest rate and Houston's Chester Pitts had the second highest rate.

For penalties, Petitti finished T37th for all tackles (left and right) in the league.

I don't have the specific stats on me, but I do remember that Petitti's sacks allowed and penalty yards went up dramatically when Flozell went down.

Rich...........

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Petitti finished with the 3rd highest rate of sacks per passing attempts. Torrin Tucker had the highest rate and Houston's Chester Pitts had the second highest rate.

For penalties, Petitti finished T37th for all tackles (left and right) in the league.

I don't have the specific stats on me, but I do remember that Petitti's sacks allowed and penalty yards went up dramatically when Flozell went down.

Rich...........

From a guy that was overweight, hurt and had never played RT at any level and was a rookie

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:
1st round we got the player we all were satsified with.. Bobby Carpenter. Yea Manny Lawson was there to, but hes kind of a project so instead we chose a guy with lots of college experience at OLB, I honestly like the pick. I also notice how no tackle other than the great Ferguson D'Brickashaw goes in the first round, that pleases me greatly.

Then 2nd round rolls around.. right tackle is running through my head like crazy because of the poor play there last year. And I've watched Winston Justice suprisingly fall into the second round but hes nabbed by philly (a great pick). That just leaves Marcus McNeil as the most highly touted tackle ready to be taken in the 2nd.. our pick comes up, McNeil is still there. I'm thinking our main o-line problem might be solved with this pick, but then all of a sudden I see a trade. We trade the Jets our pick for additional picks. I'm speechless and anxious. Then I see San Diego take McNeil in between what was our pick and what now is our pick. I then see we pick TE Fasano, I instantly check him out on various draft sites and he seems to be a 3rd rounder or later.

I know TE is an important position but we've already got one probowler to man the spot. Why reach for Fasano when we could of possibly solved our horrendous RT problem with McNeil?

Fasano is a better player than Marcus Mcneil and that is the primary reason. Fasano was always considered to be a solid second round pick so im not sure why you use the term "reaching" when describing that draft choice.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
GoodOleDays said:

here is your problem....you checked out the draft websites for accurate information....those websites had justice as a top 15 pick, they had max jean giles going in the end of first early second.....so what those fan inspired, fan targeting sites give you is not necessarily what the NFL teams think. Fasano mayhave been touted as a 3rd rounder, but he was ranked higher by NFL teams.

wileedog

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:

Only because Tucker only started 10 games.....

Sandyf

Reaction score
I find it very interesting reading about how most of us including myself perceive the needs and weaknesses of the team especially when it concerns the draft. All good comments and all have some valid points.

Stats show us how a player performed but only in the past sense not the present or future. It does give an indication on what should happen but we all are aware that it very rarely is close to 100 percent. If it was every first and second round pick would be making the team and starting.

I truly thought we would draft an OL in the second round and surely the third round. We did neither. Instead, we improved the defense with Hatcher (I know, I know -- it is yet to be seen -- but my gut says this guy is special) and we made the offense with Fasano instantly more of a problem for defenses. Fasano under Wiess is also ready for the pros being in a pro offense that is similar to what we already have.

But the question and the thread is about the OL. What is obvious now, at least to me, is that Parcells believe that Petitti is going to be special. Petitti isn't a flashy guy but do remember the year he was draft he was rated a first or second round pick before the weight problem. He is a blue collar guy and it will be interesting to see how he responds this year. If we want stats, it would be interesting to see if anyone has stats on Eric Williams his first year verses Petitti first year.

As to the other OL guys, Colombo is a classic revamp job by Parcells and it would not surprise me in the least to see him become the LT after Flo retires or leaves. To me, Fabini is the insurance guy for both LT and RT.

We should of had a clue in free agency when we didn't go after any T spot until later in FA. Usually in free agency if you are really going to fill a need, you try and do it quickly in the first few days of FA. As we saw Parcells believed that a RG and ILB were far more important.

That alone should indicate what he thought of the RT spot.