Twitter: Fassel On Attempted Punt Block

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any time you call for a blocked punt attempt you are in a position to get the ball back since the opposing team is punting the ball back to you. Only issue I have is they did not get there and block it. I do agree with Fassel it was a hold and should have been called. I agree there have been calls that I did not like such as the fake punt vs Washington, totally disagreed with it but I have watched Cowboys football long enough to know that Landry and Jimmy where never afraid to go after a blocked punt. As I said 4th and less than 5 yards no I don't risk the running into the kicker which 9 time out of 10 that is what ends up getting called. In this case Fassel is right that should have been a holding penalty on #40 as he tackled Kamara into the punter

Fassel is wrong all the way around. He only compounds it by crying about the refs call. And this is in no way defending the official and missing the hold.

Fassel screwed things up in the first place having his players attacking and in that position.

It was a dumb call and I’m not giving him a pass for it, whether he coaches fit the Cowboys or not.

Reactions: BAT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fassel is wrong all the way around. He only compounds it by crying about the refs call. And this is in no way defending the official and missing the hold.

Fassel screwed things up in the first place having his players attacking and in that position.

It was a dumb call and I’m not giving him a pass for it, whether he coaches fit the Cowboys or not.

and that is your view, again I did not agree with the fake punt vs Washington but I want to see Dallas be aggressive at times even on special teams. Are there risk? sure every time we blitz there are risk so should we never blitz?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
On 4th and 20 it makes no sense...if it was humor on his part, that "joke" doesn't really make any sense either...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and that is your view, again I did not agree with the fake punt vs Washington but I want to see Dallas be aggressive at times even on special teams. Are there risk? sure every time we blitz there are risk so should we never blitz?

I’m not making excuse for bad calls or giving them a pass.

There are times when a play like that might make sense, that wasn’t it. Fassel coaches special teams like he’s bored. He takes reckless risks that seldom payoff in a vain effort to create excitement. It’s certainly not smart nor sound football.

And where does his special teams unit rank again?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
On 4th and 20 it makes no sense...if it was humor on his part, that "joke" doesn't really make any sense either...

4th and what makes sense? Or is it Dallas should never go for block punts? I would say 4th and less than 5 makes no sense because running into the punter carries 5 yard. So is there is distance that is appropriate?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Bones is not helping himself with that comment. Despite what he thinks the fans want, it is possible to be aggressive without being dumb. Players can avoid the kicker.

Reactions: BAT

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You don't blitz on a hail mary attempt at the end of the game...they were giving the ball back to us and that was much more important than field position.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not making excuse for bad calls or giving them a pass.

There are times when a play like that might make sense, that wasn’t it. Fassel coaches special teams like he’s bored. He takes reckless risks that seldom payoff in a vain effort to create excitement. It’s certainly not smart nor sound football.

And where does his special teams unit rank again?

I have no issue with you having an opinion. That was not the time, when is it? your pretty much saying never go for blocks. I don't agree with it

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Well, only if you assume the fans want it.

Can't believe he actually said that.
I think he thought he was being clever with that comment to throw shade on what a poor call it was...just laugh it off type comment. But it didn't make.any.sense :D Good one bones! :huh:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Who is Jori Epstien? Local media?

WHY is the ST coach talking to the media???

We all know Jerry is going to run his mouth to the detriment of the team, but they've got to reel in the rest of them from saying whatever whenever.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh yeah for running into the kicker...but we also were finding the only way to give them a first down @ 4th and 20, etc. so we flipped that rule lol

Yes so it 4th and 10 better? fact is roughing carries automatic 1st down so by your reason no time would be the right time. If that is how some feel that is fine, keep things close to the vest avoid any risk. Myself I like seeing some aggression on special teams.