fave guitarist

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
who is your fave guitarist out of these?

1. srv
2. jimi
3. matthias
4. angus
5. eddie
6. ace
7. gary rossington
8. eric clapton
9. b.b. king
10. jeff beck
11. jimmy page
12. joe perry
13. glenn tipton
14. roy clark
15. chet atkins
16. joe satriani

let me know!

DeputyDawg

Reaction score
I'm a huge KISS fan so my pick would be Ace although Page is a very close second. You can never go wrong with Zeppelin.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
ooops, forgot to list my fave, well that honor goes to stevie ray vaughn, that man absolutely tore a guitar in half, without even trying, can i get a amen?

my next three:

1. jimi
2. matthias jabs
3. gary rossington

i'm a big scorpions and lynyrd skynryd fan!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Well my sig pic gives away my favorite but close seconds are Hendrix, Page, Clapton, BB King and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Joe Satch...Chet Atkins...Gary Moore (VERY underrated)...Jimi Hendrix...Jeff Beck...Peter White..Don Felder....

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Joe Satch...Chet Atkins...Gary Moore (VERY underrated)...Jimi Hendrix...Jeff Beck...Peter White..Don Felder....
Agreed

I would add Vai, Rhodes and Eric Johnson.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
The guys I enjoy are Carlos Santana, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Lifeson and the young guy, John Mayer.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Chief said:
The guys I enjoy are Carlos Santana, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Lifeson and the young guy, John Mayer.

santana...yep good choice..I forgot to include him...

And Van Halen is very underrated...

Duane

Reaction score
I'll add some more choices here:

Rick McCollum - Afghan Whigs
Johnny Marr - The Smiths
Dave Navarro - Jane's Addiction; I go to a lot of concerts and Dave is as good or better than anyone when he's on.
Adam Jones - Tool
Doyle Bramhall II - Arc Angels, solo work

Chief, I've seen both Lifeson and Mayer live and they are very impressive.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Duane said:
I'll add some more choices here:

Rick McCollum - Afghan Whigs
Johnny Marr - The Smiths
Dave Navarro - Jane's Addiction; I go to a lot of concerts and Dave is as good or better than anyone when he's on.
Adam Jones - Tool
Doyle Bramhall II - Arc Angels, solo work

Chief, I've seen both Lifeson and Mayer live and they are very impressive.
doyle bramhall's "jellycream" is one of my favorite albums. throw out "i wanna marry you" and the album is SOLID top to bottom.

Duane

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
doyle bramhall's "jellycream" is one of my favorite albums. throw out "i wanna marry you" and the album is SOLID top to bottom.

You're right super solid album. Very few people have his talent to sing and play.

I think my fave is "chasin' the sun" followed right behind "I will remember".

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i don't really have a "favorite guitarist" - much as i don't have a "favorite movie". there have been, and are, so many good ones out there that, while their "stylings" may very greatly, it becomes too difficult to pick one over the other. they are either "very good" - or fall short of such praise, whether by millimeters or miles.

the late Frank Zappa's penchant for Edgar Varese-inspired, avant garde, compositions IMMEDIATELY walled him off from the greater body of the music-listening public. his "exile" was entirely self-imposed. Zappa appears to have had little interest in the trappings of popularity.

he was easily one of the most prolific artists of his time. the volume of his catalogue will blow you away. he was to recorded music as isaac asimov is to writing. anyway - i digress.

FZ authored some of the most blistering extended solos these ears have ever heard. prime examples are:

"don't you ever wash that thing?" - from the live recording "Roxy and Elsewhere".

"inca roads" - from the studio LP "One Size Fits All"

"carolina hardcore ecstasy" - from the live (in Austin, TX) recording "Bongo Fury"

"stinkfoot" - from the studio LP "Apostrophe"

if you are generally unfamiliar with this underrated "giant" of a guitarist - i highly recommend the guitar-heavy LPs "Overnight Sensation" and "Apostrophe" for starters.

some other lesser-known guitarists you may enjoy:

roy buchanan - "Loading Zone" LP. one of the greatest blues guitarists ever. the late roy flat tears it up on tunes like "green onions" and "done your daddy dirty".

steve morse of "the dixie dregs" - former guitar player magazine "guitar player of the year" winner

al dimeola - formerly of jazz-fusion greats "return to forever" - also a fromer GPM "guitar player of the year" winner. i recommend the trio of 70's efforts in my sigline.

dick dale - the godfather of "surf guitar" - no kidding, he'll blow you away.

rick white and bob watkins of "the screaming cheetah wheelies" - duelling electrics.... smokin'.

john mclaughlin of "the mahavishnu orchestra" - he and santana wail on "love, devotion, surrender" LP ('73). also check out "visions of the emerald beyond" LP ('74).

there are some really great guitarists out there. and many of them don't play in formats that are considered "radio friendly". check out as many as you can.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
For acoustic sounds...Stephen Bennett... Oscar Lopez...are just two who come to mind for me...

Not better than Chet or Peter White...but they're darn good..