Favorite Cowboys Game You Ever Attended?

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
rcaldw;2478958 said:
Hey with a big Giants game coming up, though it might be cool to see what kind of experience we have around the forum.

What is the biggest/most important or favorite Cowboys game you ever attended in person?

Mine was the 1977 NFC Championship game, Cowboys over the Vikings. We still have some home movie footage of that game. Sat in the upper corner of the endzone where Golden Richards made his TD catch falling down backwards.

You?

Mine was the last game of the '89 season against Philly. Dallas lost, finished with the worst record in the league, and earned the right to select Aikman in the draft. What made it so memorable for me, though, is that, unbeknownst to me or anyone else at the time, it was the great Tom Landry's last game as coach of the Cowboys. I feel very priveleged that I was at that game.

Another great memory for me at that game had to do with Buddy "bounty bowl" Ryan. Earlier that year ( in the preseason, I think), he got choked on a pork chop and had to have the Heimlich Maneuver performed on him to save his life. There were a couple of 'Boys fans at the game dangling a big ol' pork chop from a long cane fishing pole any time Ryan was within shouting distance (we were on the side where Philly's bench was).

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2479206 said:
Favorite = 1992 at Detroit. We won 37-3 in Week 10, and I had no doubt we were on our way to winning the Super Bowl that season (our first of the '90s).

Best game = 2004 at Seattle. We won 43-39 in a Monday night thriller after coming back from double-digit deficits in each half (and blowing one in the second half).

My former acct rep that I used to buy computer equipment from lives in Seattle and is a big Seahawks fan. He left me a voicemail at midnight as he was leaving the stadium talking about how we cheated. I called him the next day and just started laughing. He was still pissed. I still have that voice mail at work.

:laugh1:

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Here's my top 5....fairly impressive list... eh.

1.Thanksgiving 1974 Clint Longley to Drew 35 secs. to go.
2. October 1975 Staubach vs. Hart in a high scoring OT duel--made better when Leroy Jordan and several defenders ran into us at the bar at Opporto's on Central after the game.
3. December 1979. Dallas 35-Washington 34. Double 17 pt. comeback for the NFC East Title. Commanders out of playoffs, Pardee fired as Commander coach. Roger's last home game. Greatest Cowboy regular season game ever.

4.NFC Championship Jan. 1994 Dallas over Niners Bernie Kosar saves the day.

5. Emmit gets the record, 2004. Dallas loses to Seattle.

Oh wait--January 1993 SB XXVII Dallas 52 Buffalo 17. Does OOT count?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
NorthDalal;2479997 said:
Here's my top 5....fairly impressive list... eh.

1.Thanksgiving 1974 Clint Longley to Drew 35 secs. to go.
2. October 1975 Staubach vs. Hart in a high scoring OT duel--made better when Leroy Jordan and several defenders ran into us at the bar at Opporto's on Central after the game.
3. December 1979. Dallas 35-Washington 34. Double 17 pt. comeback for the NFC East Title. Commanders out of playoffs, Pardee fired as Commander coach. Roger's last home game. Greatest Cowboy regular season game ever.

5. Emmit gets the record, 2004. Dallas loses to Seattle.

Oh wait--January 1993 SB XXVII Dallas 52 Buffalo 17. Does OOT count?

very impressive list.

we would have won that game against seattle if not for that bull**** call against woodson.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Week 3 2005 @San Francisco. We rally from a 21-6 deficit and a poor Bledsoe start.

Terry Glenn had a great game, Keyshawn caught the game winner from Bledsoe directly below me. and Dat Nguyen sealed it with a INT of Tim Rattay

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
NorthDalal;2479997 said:

Bernie Kosar didnt "save the day"...he had nothing to do with beating them. We were up 28-7 at the half and probably would have scored 50+ on them had Aikman not got the concussion at the start of the 2nd half. Aikman was near perfect in the first half.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
dbair1967;2480103 said:
Bernie Kosar didnt "save the day"...he had nothing to do with beating them. We were up 28-7 at the half and probably would have scored 50+ on them had Aikman not got the concussion at the start of the 2nd half. Aikman was near perfect in the first half.
It was more like "Bernie Kosar doesn't screw things up"

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
windward;2480110 said:
It was more like "Bernie Kosar doesn't screw things up"

he threw one pass that Harper made a great catch and run on, and everybody thinks he won the game or something. We beat the hell out of that team that day.

rcaldw

Reaction score
dbair1967;2480116 said:
he threw one pass that Harper made a great catch and run on, and everybody thinks he won the game or something. We beat the hell out of that team that day.

You are exactly right Dbair, more revisionist history that disrespects Aikman. I don't mean by this poster, I just mean in general as people remember that day. Aikman was deadly in the first half and the game was won by halftime. When Aikman WENT OUT was when the Niners tightened it up, and the throw by Kosar was HORRIBLE. Harper reached above his head and behind him for what looked like 5 yards, and then went the distance. In fact, it was because the ball was so poorly thrown that Harper scored because the DB thought he had a pick.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
rcaldw;2480162 said:
You are exactly right Dbair, more revisionist history that disrespects Aikman. I don't mean by this poster, I just mean in general as people remember that day. Aikman was deadly in the first half and the game was won by halftime. When Aikman WENT OUT was when the Niners tightened it up, and the throw by Kosar was HORRIBLE. Harper reached above his head and behind him for what looked like 5 yards, and then went the distance. In fact, it was because the ball was so poorly thrown that Harper scored because the DB thought he had a pick.
I was only 10 but when Dennis Brown's knees struck Troy's heads, I envisoned a nightmare scenario of Bernie Kosar starting for us the next week in the Super Bowl.

Thank God that was averted.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
windward;2480171 said:
I was only 10 but when Dennis Brown's knees struck Troy's heads, I envisoned a nightmare scenario of Bernie Kosar starting for us the next week in the Super Bowl.

Thank God that was averted.

Most QB's would have been out a month or so with that concussion. Aikman actually started a week later. He just wouldnt sit out.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
lane;2479879 said:
that was a hell of a game...
Yup it was... it was my 2nd game (1st was thanksgiving 2006, Romo vs Bucs)

But this one was close, exciting and had TONS of fun razzing the giants fans sitting in front of us