Favorite Film Series

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am into film series and find that I will not watch one without watching all of them, even if there is a lame fit like Rambo III or Jurassic Park III.

There have been some very good ones and I would have said The Godfather series was my favorite except for 3 with Sophia Coppola setting the bar for why director's daughters should not be in their father's films. However, she is a fine director.

There are some I really like but most have a weak film or irritant factor like Star Wars 1-3, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with Kate Capshaw screaming way too much or Rocky V spoiling the series.

So, when considering the series and the strength of all the installments, I must go with Lord of the Rings. With the Man With No Name spaghetti westerns a very close second.. How about you?

And you can also put your lamest one forth as well. Mine is the Hangover series, first one was good and then it fizzled for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Man with No Name Trilogy:
•a fistful of dollars
•for a few dollars more
•the good,the bad and the ugly
Yep, that's my second one. Would have been first but I found out his name was Harold Finster, ruined it for me.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lots of great franchises, in no particular order:

Alien
Beverly Hills Cop
Star Wars
Die Hard
Rocky
Harry Potter
Jurassic Park
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Lethal Weapon
James Bond(s)
Jack Ryan
Back to the Future
The Terminator

And many more.....

I wish Bad Boys would have a third so I could add it to my list, Bad Boys II was outstanding!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Several good film series listed here.

So I'll mention some that haven't been talked about yet...

"Planet of the Apes". Both old & new series. A couple duds here & there but have found most to range from highly entertaining to enjoyable. Always thought "Beneath The Planet of the Apes" never received the luv that it should have.

The Universal "Frankenstein" series ended on a sour note (like many series) but the first 3 films were good to exceptional.

While the quality has been all over the map I've been enjoying Godzilla films for gosh... nearly 50 years. Have watched them all numerous times.

And I'll name a series that I watched all the time as a kid and that was "The Bowery Boys". Also remember watching the "Ma & Pa Kettle"/"Blondie" films quite often but enjoyed "The Bowery Boys" more.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

"Planet of the Apes". Both old & new series. A couple duds here & there but have found most to range from highly entertaining to enjoyable. Always thought "Beneath The Planet of the Apes" never received the luv that it should have.

The Universal "Frankenstein" series ended on a sour note (like many series) but the first 3 films were good to exceptional.

While the quality has been all over the map I've been enjoying Godzilla films for gosh... nearly 50 years. Have watched them all numerous times.

And I'll name a series that I watched all the time as a kid and that was "The Bowery Boys". Also remember watching the "Ma & Pa Kettle"/"Blondie" films quite often but enjoyed "The Bowery Boys" more.

My mom made me watch Ma & Pa growing up. I appreciate it now but not then :muttley:

cowboyec

Reaction score
my 6-pack movie series:
1.man with no name trilogy
2.rocky franchise
3.pirates of the caribbean franchise
4.the dark knight trilogy
5.dirty harry series
6.rambo franchise

RodeoJake

Reaction score

To this list, I'd add the Sherlock Holmes with Rathbone and Bruce, the Wolfman and Dracula series, and Charlie Chan with Oland and Toler. Gloria Holden's performance as Dracula's Daughter was excellent.

For the record, I liked House of Frankenstein. However, I'd have included the Dracula character in the main plot instead of making it a sideline.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To this list, I'd add the Sherlock Holmes with Rathbone and Bruce, the Wolfman and Dracula series, and Charlie Chan with Oland and Toler. Gloria Holden's performance as Dracula's Daughter was excellent.

For the record, I liked House of Frankenstein. However, I'd have included the Dracula character in the main plot instead of making it a sideline.

Good catch on the "Sherlock Holmes" & "Charlie Chan" films. Even today they're an enjoyable watch.

And yep also enjoyed the other Universal monster movie series.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gotta be Godfather. Toy Stories are all good, too.

LOTR would get a hat tip if Jackson weren’t also involved in the abomination of the Hobbit. Star Wars destroyed the franchise, too, so much hey can’t get my vote.

The Harry Potter series is actually really faithful to the books, but it’s limited for the same reason.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am into film series and find that I will not watch one without watching all of them, even if there is a lame fit like Rambo III or Jurassic Park III.

There have been some very good ones and I would have said The Godfather series was my favorite except for 3 with Sophia Coppola setting the bar for why director's daughters should not be in their father's films. However, she is a fine director.

There are some I really like but most have a weak film or irritant factor like Star Wars 1-3, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom with Kate Capshaw screaming way too much or Rocky V spoiling the series.

So, when considering the series and the strength of all the installments, I must go with Lord of the Rings. With the Man With No Name spaghetti westerns a very close second.. How about you?

And you can also put your lamest one forth as well. Mine is the Hangover series, first one was good and then it fizzled for me.
Even the first Hangover didn't make me laugh much, so I haven't even seen the second two.

I can't resist anything Alien related.

LOTR is epic, no doubt.

The Lethal Weapon series was really good.

But this whole Marvel Universe series is absolutely addictive, to the point that I can't miss a single movie.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
There are a lot of movies series where I only like the first two (Alien, Terminator, Lethal Weapon, etc.), but as far as a series having 3 or more that I enjoyed:
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
James Bond
Indiana Jones
Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Batman Trilogy. In fact, I just bought all three in 4k blu-ray. Christopher Nolan did a tremendous job with those movies, and, Heath Ledger's adaptation of the Joker is one of the best cinematic villains ever (in my opinion)!

- Batman Begins
- Dark Knight
- Dark Knight Rises

My runner up is Back to the Future I, II, and III.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Batman Trilogy. In fact, I just bought all three in 4k blu-ray. Christopher Nolan did a tremendous job with those movies, and, Heath Ledger's adaptation of the Joker is one of the best cinematic villains ever (in my opinion)!

- Batman Begins
- Dark Knight
- Dark Knight Rises

My runner up is Back to the Future I, II, and III.
Nolan is a singular genius. Him and his brother.