Favorite Larry Allen moment?

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
LA totally destroying Greg Lloyd in the SB. Lloyd and Green were talking all kinds of smack and they got dominated.

:clap: That's mine! See super Bowl tape and those grass stains on Lloyd's golden rear end= priceless.

Bizwah

Reaction score
There's just so many.

I remember a game vs Philly a few years back (98?). I remember LA driving a LB back at least 10 yards on a Emmitt Smith TD.

I'll never forget Howie Long's reaction at halftime....

"Larry Allen is frightening!"

I remember thinking, "Yes, he is"

jem88

Reaction score
You know after reliving all these great moments, it makes it all the more ridiculous some of the nonsense poster yesterday after he was cut. Yes he isn't the same player he used to be, but who is after 12 years? I won't call him the best Cowboy ever simply because I didn't get a chance to watch the team during the 60's and 70's. However, of all the players I've seen, Allen was the best- and next to Jerry Rice and I think he may well be the best player I've ever seen (in terms of how dominant he was at his position.)

Does nobody else get bummed out imagining what a pre-injury Erik Williams (in other words, had Williams not gotten hurt) and in-his-prime Larry Allen would've accomplished together? Emmitt would've for sure broken the 2,000 yard barrier.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Any time he knocked a Foreskins on his Arse!:laugh2: :lombardi: :dissskin:

2much2soon

Reaction score
Lots of references to the SB against Pittsburgh, and notwithstanding some early game manhandling by LA and Nate, Pitts held Dallas to 2.2 ypc in that game.
I don't have any one specific favorite moment of LA. I do remember when Madden regularly referred to him as "not only the best offensive lineman of all time, but possibly the best player at any position of all time".

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
LA was awesome...if he doesnt resign here (and doesnt sound like he will) I really hope he retires...just doesnt seem right to see him elsewhere

LA was the most ovewhelming OL I have ever seen play, bar none...his combination of power and speed made him the best OL ever

ragdolling Greg Lloyd and chasing down Saints OLB (I think it was Darion Conner, who he outweighed by a good 70 lbs or so) were two of the memorable plays...but week in and week out this guy just destroyed people from 95 until the one injury plagued yr, many plays he not only blew up the guy in front of him but also one or two other guys as well...

and he even excelled at LT for two seasons

David

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
In the 1995 Divisional playoff game against Philadelphia, he pulled on a sweep play and absolutely BLEW UP one of Philly's CBs. Knicked him about 5 yards backwards.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
Lots of references to the SB against Pittsburgh, and notwithstanding some early game manhandling by LA and Nate, Pitts held Dallas to 2.2 ypc in that game.
I don't have any one specific favorite moment of LA. I do remember when Madden regularly referred to him as "not only the best offensive lineman of all time, but possibly the best player at any position of all time".

After the first 3 drives of that game, Pittsburgh did buckle down on the run. But Dallas still averaged 5.1 yards per offensive play for the entire game, compared to Pitt's 3.7. So they were still getting it done.

I always appreciated Madden's props to Larry, he never missed a chance to give them.

2much2soon

Reaction score
jackrussell said:
After the first 3 drives of that game, Pittsburgh did buckle down on the run. But Dallas still averaged 5.1 yards per offensive play for the entire game, compared to Pitt's 3.7. So they were still getting it done.

I always appreciated Madden's props to Larry, he never missed a chance to give them.

Yea, I had to check that awhile back after Spagnola wrote an article regarding the 3-4 against a powerful run blocking offensive line.
I was surprised at the rushing average since my memory of that game was LA and Nate blowing up Pittsburgh's loudmouth LBers.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
Yea, I had to check that awhile back after Spagnola wrote an article regarding the 3-4 against a powerful run blocking offensive line.
I was surprised at the rushing average since my memory of that game was LA and Nate blowing up Pittsburgh's loudmouth LBers.

Pitt really game planned to stop Emmitt...we played them in 1991 and 1994, and ran all over them both times

their vaunted pass rush hardly touched Aikman all day, and if not for a couple of very controversial calls and no calls (one was on a spot that gave them a first down they were short of by at least a couple of yards the other that stood out was Kevin Williams running open for an apparent long TD, only to see the Pitt DB run him over while the ball was in the air and no call) it would have been a rout...also remember Irvin getting called for a really picky PI call

David

StevenOtero

Reaction score
ljs44 said:
I will never forget the game against the Saints, i think his rookie year, when he ran down the LB after he intercepted a pass and was streaking down the sideline. Larry tracked him down with no one else in sight and saved a TD. UNREAL!

Dude! That is awesome, I don't remember that. I was 4 years old, don't remember every Cowboy moment. Does anyone have it to upload? It would be greatly appreciated.

lockster

Reaction score
Absolutely, Larry running the lber down!!! I think of that everytime I think of what a great OL can do.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
one of his more...uhh "classy" moments with the inncodent with Cortez...hahai love it!

Manster68

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Larry got revenge on White that very same game. Reggie White threw Allen around on one play early in the game and went on to sack Jason Garrett. After that, Larry dug in and shut White down. You didn't hear a peep from Reggie the rest of the game. That is when I knew for sure that Larry Allen was going to be special.

That would be Thanksgiving of 1994. Jason Garrett's spectacular second half.

I thought I was the only one who noticed how Reggie was a total non-factor in the second half.

You cannot tell that to NFL Films though. They will replay White's one-arm shiver over and over again.

Manster68

Reaction score
ljs44 said:
I will never forget the game against the Saints, i think his rookie year, when he ran down the LB after he intercepted a pass and was streaking down the sideline. Larry tracked him down with no one else in sight and saved a TD. UNREAL!

That would be Week 16, game 15, of the 1994 season.

It was a Monday night in the Superdome. Jim Everett, on his first drive, threw a pass out in the flat that Tony Tolbert picked off and scored down the left sideline.

In the second quarter, Troy threw a terrible pass that was picked off by Darrian Conner. He, too, raced down the left sideline. Lo and behold, here comes #73 closing in on an angle and tackles him from behind.

I remember Al, Dan, and Frank, exclamating, "LARRY ALLEN?????"

It was awesome.

Emmitt would later pull his hammy - and Darren Smith would return a fourth quarter pass to the end zone to seal the win.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
silver said:
ditto. wasn't he a db? anywho, great athletism for 320lb guy. unbelievable

It was a linebacker. That play was amazing.

CowboysFanSince82

Reaction score
I remember in Larry's rookie on thanksgiving how Reggie White on 2 different plays bullrushed and lifted Allen off his feet and made Allen look silly.Eversince that game every time Allen faced Reggie,Larry dominated him and made Reggie look human.That was the only time that a player actually over powered Larry Allen.